Reverse cameras

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Re: Reverse cameras

Postby robo498 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:59 am

I went to Jaycar, and purchased the smallest pins I could get to plug into the head unit (you only need 3) put some tape around them to make sure they would never touch each other and put a female plug on the end to connect to the camera wire from the back and done. :D one of the best things I have done, short of getting a tune from Matt (kido tuning, I have a non turbo car but it has made a hell of a difference ) and the steering wheel controls. I would also recommend that get the camera with the lines to help judge the distance. :P
Last edited by robo498 on Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robo498

Car: liberty wagon my08 2.5L Sat Nav

Postby betty.k » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:56 pm

tom_kauf wrote:
betty.k wrote:Strange request, I have a reverse cam that sometimes flickers due to a poor connector choice. Unplugging and replugging seems to fix it. But during this process i sometimes get the reverse grid lines showing up on screen. I normally have none, how do i permanently include the reversing gridlines?

Hmm, yeah they're usually built into the camera :?. So on mine, the camera either gets power (and shows lines), or shows no picture at all.
And chances are that the Reverse Switch in the transmission is the cause of the flickering. I had the same issue, and had the transmission switch replaced and it has been great since then.

I don't suppose you could point out where that switch is? Is it easy to get to or is a major pull apart needed?
betty.k

Car: my09 gt spec b

Postby tom_kauf » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:31 pm

This is the Connector (a kit incl the correct Pins) you need from Jaycar.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/4-pin-mini-mo ... t/p/PP2027

Or, you can buy the cable from a guy on the US Legacy GT Forum, if he still makes them. Just ask on there and you'll find him.
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Postby betty.k » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:52 pm

I already have that part. The person who installed the camera originally did an average job of twisting wires together and using crappy electrical tape. I've since gone over every electrical connection with solder and new plugs where needed. I assume you were referring to a switch that's activated by the shifter (mine is an auto gen 4) in that other post?
betty.k

Postby tom_kauf » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:11 pm

betty.k wrote:I don't suppose you could point out where that switch is? Is it easy to get to or is a major pull apart needed?

I can find it in the Parts Diagram of you want. But it's basicaply in an impossible location to get to without dropping the transmission. That's what my mechanic did. Guys who have done a lot of them and have a special crowsfoot spanner can do it by just loosening the tranny mounts, but it's not easy (you're working totally blind).
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby tom_kauf » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:13 pm

betty.k wrote:I already have that part. The person who installed the camera originally did an average job of twisting wires together and using crappy electrical tape. I've since gone over every electrical connection with solder and new plugs where needed. I assume you were referring to a switch that's activated by the shifter (mine is an auto gen 4) in that other post?

Yeah, my answer above was in regard to the Screen connector, not the Reverse Switch.

And mine is a Manual, so it may be slightly different to an Auto, but he switch is on the transmission itself.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby betty.k » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:28 pm

Cheers, thanks for that. i was thinking the problem may have been the fact that i attached the power supply for the camera to the reversing lights and the delay between the light power coming on not synching with the reverse signal to the sat nav unit. Any truth in that?
betty.k

Postby tom_kauf » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:13 pm

betty.k wrote:Cheers, thanks for that. i was thinking the problem may have been the fact that i attached the power supply for the camera to the reversing lights and the delay between the light power coming on not synching with the reverse signal to the sat nav unit. Any truth in that?

I also have the power for my Camera connected to the reverse light, so that's a good way to connect it. That's how most people do it, since you only want power to the camera when you're in reverse.
But as the reverse switch in the transmission gets older, it becomes intermittent on our cars (it's a common issue). That means the reverse lights intermittently don't get power either. But since you can't usually see your own reverse lights, most people don't notice. It wasn't until I got my reverse camera, that I realised I had that issue. I'd notice my reverse camera wasn't coming on (the Nav screen would just stay in eg the Menu or Map). I'd have to take it out of reverse and firmly put it back into reverse again before the reverse lights (and consequently the camera) would come on again.

Check if your reverse lights come on - you should be able to do that by yourself with the engine off, and ignition on. If your reverse lights are on, but your camera isn't (ie the screen stays on the Menu or Map screen), then the issue is not with the power to the camera.

If your screen turns off the Menu or Map, and just goes black (I had that issue as well once), then the Camera is getting power but the Camera's Video Signal isn't getting to the Nav screen.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby Gtb08 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:59 pm

for $250 supplied and fitted by a professional with an OE look...in my case Gold coast car sound... why go thru the hassell of pulling the dash apart yourself and trying to work it out :wink: :lol:
2008 OBP Liberty GT SpecB ATM - KOBE MSPORTS SILCONE INTAKE & MAF HOSES - TUSPEED 3-PORT BCS - AVO DUMP 160 CEL CAT - KIDO TUNED - ATM TRANS COOLER - KOBE MSPORTS BoV - KOBE FUEL PUMP - WG PORT N POLISHED VF52 TURBO - MISHIMOTO TB HOSE - GReddy DUAL CATCH CANS - CUSTOM REDBACK MUFFLERS - RED STITCHED LEATHER WRAPPED STEERING WHEEL - DBA T2 SLOTTED ROTORS - XYZ SS COILOVERS - CUSCO STRUT BRACE - quarter 13.42@100MPH
Gtb08

Car: 2008 GT-B Liberty Auto

Postby betty.k » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:29 pm

Gtb08 wrote:for $250 supplied and fitted by a professional with an OE look...in my case Gold coast car sound... why go thru the hassell of pulling the dash apart yourself and trying to work it out :wink: :lol:

If you have to ask, you'll never know! :wink:
betty.k

Postby betty.k » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:37 pm

Upon further inspection, i shifted into reverse and had the camera flickering. The reverse lights were on steadily though. Do you think it's just a dud camera?
And I also have the workshop manual. Is the attached pic the one you mean?
Attachments
rev sw.jpg
rev sw.jpg (61.58 KiB) Viewed 10970 times
betty.k

Postby tom_kauf » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:39 am

Hmm, it could be a dud camera. Assuming the camera is getting good power (from the reverse light 12V, and a good Earth). And the Video Signals cable is good, incl the custom connector you would've made. Maybe just wiggle those to see if the picture improves.

I actually don't see the switch on that diagram. I know it's there on the Manual Trans (#8 is 'Switch assembly-back lamp').
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:34 pm

betty.k wrote:Strange request, I have a reverse cam that sometimes flickers due to a poor connector choice. Unplugging and replugging seems to fix it. But during this process i sometimes get the reverse grid lines showing up on screen. I normally have none, how do i permanently include the reversing gridlines?

Which head unit?, camera model & vendor, diy or pro install, auto or manual car? :)

Cycling the power or signal is the usual way to change cam features eg lines or ntsc/pal... ijfgt :P
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:57 pm

Quote google:
Distance Scale Line Switch On/off by cutting the white wire Distance Scale Line will be visible, 100% waterproof and ...

Also using an rca ground loop isolator on the video cable run is a good idea.
I really need that for the android tv box that displays btssm on my stock nav :)
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby tom_kauf » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:43 pm

BMCracer wrote:I want to try to use the Factory camera as I want the whole thing to look as factory as possible. Not a fan of the cameras on the bracket that go on the numberplate screws, look tacky and a real afterthought to me. My car has a blank plate in the hole where the factory camera is on JDM cars.

My aftermarket camera has slowly been getting dirt on the inside of the lens, where I can't get to it (even though I took the unit apart), so the image quality is getting worse. It probably lasted longer than some, thanks to BBB's idea of siliconing up all the joins and holes. But I'm not getting another eBay one, so I've been researching BMCracer's Factory Subaru Camera idea some more.

It looks like Gen4s did come with a Reverse Camera as an option 8) . It's listed on Japan Parts under the ADA (Active Driving Assist) system category for eg. the S204 (top-of-the-line JDM STi Legacy).

I'm sure a Factory Subaru Reverse Camera will be better quality, and last more than 3 or so years before slowly getting dirt inside it.

Any feedback is appreciated, since I don't think this install has been done before.

http://www.jp-carparts.com/subaru/partl ... fig_id=865

According to this diagram, it is mounted on the left, but I don't have a mounting point behind the area that could be a cut-out. But I do on the RH side :D . And the screw-holes look similar to the Diagran above for the wagon (2 holes, with camera bracket hidden behind the plastic).

LH side:

RH side:
tom_kauf
-stickered-

PreviousNext

Return to Audio options