Aux input pinout for 07 McIntosh unit

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Aux input pinout for 07 McIntosh unit

Postby JimmyGT » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:07 pm

Does anybody know which terminals on the back of McIntosh HU are used for aux in?

I am trying to connect a CarPC to the aux in without buying the OEM kit as I figure it is just a 2 wire connection to the HU.
MY07 GT-B 6-speed sedan in black
JimmyGT

Postby jp928 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:28 pm

More to the point, does anybody know how different the connections on the back of the Mcintosh are from the normal single CD units? In My OB I took out the single cd radio, replaced with the JDM single zone ac controller and a double din hole panel. With an adapter I coupled the std Subie audio socket to the JVC head unit connector (all std wire colours), and its fine. I know the Mcintosh feeds an external amp, but does the head unit have a std Subie output socket to the car loom (4 speaker feeds, always on 12V, switched power, lights on signal, aerial amp feed, power amp signal), or is it special and different? Does anybody have a good clear pic of the connectors? I can post a pic of the single cd HU tomorrow...
tks
jp
jp928

Car: 08 gtb 6mt wagon

Postby Ric » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:47 pm

I have an 06 Macintosh unit sitting in my garage right now (on loan from PHAT GT).
I know the Mac has a standard socket, but there's no audio output on it, those pins are unused.
(It runs a totally seperate connection, with low-level balanced wiring down to the seperate audio-amp)
Ric
Site Admin

Car: OLD: MY06 3RB Wagon NEW: MY21 Outbck
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12

Postby jp928 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:51 am

Bugger....so its no use planning to change to a JDM dual controller and din facia? Whats the Mc like at doing random cd navigation over 6 discs then? Whats the quality of output like? When I went from std single disc HU in the OB to a dvd reading JVC HU the sound quality improved markedly.
jp
jp928

Postby UrbanGTB » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:59 am

I just paid Subaru a $120 for the Aux input option, I didn't realise you had to pay for the plug! Well its in now and I am running DVD's through the factory Sat Navigation System.
Tony
UrbanGTB

Postby jp928 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:03 pm

What sort of plug does it need? Surely a std 3.5mm stereo?
jp
jp928

Postby gromit » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:19 pm

UrbanGTB wrote:I just paid Subaru a $120 for the Aux input option, I didn't realise you had to pay for the plug! Well its in now and I am running DVD's through the factory Sat Navigation System.

Can you clarify how your playing DVD's with the Factory Sat Nav Option. I have the Aux input for audio in the centre console but was not aware the system had the ability to play DVD's.
gromit

Car: MY07 Liberty GT Spec B Sed 6sp

Postby Moi » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:16 pm

gromit wrote:Can you clarify how your playing DVD's with the Factory Sat Nav Option. I have the Aux input for audio in the centre console but was not aware the system had the ability to play DVD's.

Try this - it's not "true" DVD thru the actual SatNav ROM player as you need an external media player (eg. USB HDD media player run off the cig lighter) but there is a video input at the rear of the SatNav...

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52355

Combined with the audio input into the Mac, you have yourself a entertainment centre in your car :)

For pic of rear of factory SatNav...see post 9

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36342

Haven't done this myself but will in future (both DVD and rear cam). You also need to cut a wire if you want to view the video input whilst on the move though.

Cheers
Teck
Current: Subaru Legacy GT-spec.B MY07
Previous: Subaru Impreza WRX MY01

Moi

Car: Subaru Legacy GT-spec.B MY07

Postby UrbanGTB » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:07 am

I have installed an additional DVD player in the glovebox, plugged into the video in on the back of the screen and audio through the aux input. When stopped with the handbrake on you simply press info twice when on maps or once when on info screen and you have the video input. DVD's sounds simply awesome through the standard McIntosh Stereo

It is an additional plug that site in the centre console enclosure next to the 12volt power plug. The standard car does not allow you to plug in aux input so you buy the fascia plate that has the 3.5mm input and plugs into the the loom providing the feed to the stereo.

My install can be completely removed as there was no hard wiring but having DVD through the factory screen is so satisfying because its one thing that it didn't do that the IS250 did do which I nearly bought.
Tony
UrbanGTB

Postby MY08GT-B » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:40 pm

UrbanGTB wrote:I am running DVD's through the factory Sat Navigation System.

I have also done this mod, and now I play video through the nav screen from my ipod (160GB classic) & audio through the aux in plug in the center console. Routed the video in plug to just under the aux plug.

The Office on the nav screen

Dave
MY08GT-B

Postby bonski » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:00 pm

nice one dave

I couldnt justify the cost of the nav screen but had I known you were able to do DVD through it, i may have thought longer about the decision not to get it.
Current : 2011 E92 335i Coupe M Sport
It was a great 6 years, farewell : 07 Lib GTB Tuned by STi
bonski

Postby suby11 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:29 pm

Hey Dave

When you are playing your Ipod through the auxiallary point in the centre console do you find that you dont get much volume. I had this aux point installed but when playing my Ipod it needs to be on about volume 20 to even hear it.
suby11

Car: MY07 GT SpecB Sedan

Postby chriskan » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:58 pm

I found that, but I starting using the belkin autokit which takes the line out from the ipod (not the headphone) and allows you to adjust the output signal level as well.

But yeah, generally finding output is low anyway from the stock system (Mac).
MY07 GT-B T/B STi 6MT OBP
| PHAT Performance Quad Mufflers | HKS Panel Filter & removed resi + CAI pipe |
chriskan

Car: MY07 GT-B t/b STI OBP 6MT - #244/300

Postby MY08GT-B » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:19 pm

With the audio coming from the 3.5mm headphone jack the sound is pretty low. I use the 30 pin plug on the bottom of the ipod (where it connects to dock, usb etc.) with the ridiculously overpriced apple composite av cable (video and 2 audio rca cables plus usb) and then the audio lines into a 2 rca-3.5mm plug into the aux. in and get a much better sound. Using the apple cables I can also plug the usb line into a charger and not have to worry about battery life.

Dave
MY08GT-B

Postby suby11 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:49 pm

Thanks for that info and picture Dave.

Where did you get the composite av cable from because I cannot see on apples website?
suby11

Car: MY07 GT SpecB Sedan

Next

Return to Audio options