Possible Busted Speaker?

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Possible Busted Speaker?

Postby WhiteGTB » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:34 pm

Umm guys, I think I have a busted speaker.. but not sure.

Is there any certain way you can tell?

Some songs where there is alot more bass, I can hear a flutter at the low sounds... is that an indication that is it busted?

Should I open the door trim to check it? it is a passenger side front one.
WhiteGTB

Car: MY07 Legacy GT Spec B 6pd

Postby blacknwhite » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:23 pm

so the speaker is putting something out? maybe a tear or pinhole in the material, but how would that happen in a sealed cavity, was this one of the areas that was worked on after you got hit by the roo? if so mabe damage at the panel beater?
GT spec B MY07
Black/White interior
blacknwhite
-stickered-

Postby WhiteGTB » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:37 pm

Hmmm could be possible Pete, will get the door trim off soonish to check.
WhiteGTB

Postby SpecB » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:02 pm

If the speaker works at normal levels then it's doubtful it has blown. When I first got my car I had problems with one of the speakers at a low level. It turned out that a screw had worked its way loose.

Sounds like it could be a thing at the panel beater after the accident if you ask me.

I wouldn't think that amp would be able to run at any kind of power to blow a speaker unless there was a really unusual peak. The odds of that are extremely rare though.

G
SpecB

Car: MY06 AT Spec B Wagon

Postby gt_dicko » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:09 pm

SpecB wrote:If the speaker works at normal levels then it's doubtful it has blown. When I first got my car I had problems with one of the speakers at a low level. It turned out that a screw had worked its way loose.

Sounds like it could be a thing at the panel beater after the accident if you ask me.

I wouldn't think that amp would be able to run at any kind of power to blow a speaker unless there was a really unusual peak. The odds of that are extremely rare though.

G

Most speakers aren't "blown" because of too much power from the amp, it's generally too little power.
People get in their heads that the speakers out spec the amp and they can crank their amps (volume) all the way up. All this does is clip the output of the amp and you end up with a nice DC voltage through the voice coil of the speaker. do this enough and you will burn the coil out.

But that said, when you burn out a voice coil the speaker is generally dead. What you're describing does sound like physical damage to the cone/surround.
MY04 GT 5AT - SOLD
gt_dicko

Postby smiley » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:04 pm

im with dicko on this on, unless you have a shit downloaded song that could also be the issue. do you have the mac speaker set up??
smiley

Postby WhiteGTB » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:10 am

smiley wrote:im with dicko on this on, unless you have a shit downloaded song that could also be the issue. do you have the mac speaker set up??

Yeap, mine is the Premium. 13 speaker McIntosh :)
WhiteGTB

Postby tangcla » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:07 am

Is this just an excuse to upgrade Trieu?? :P
www.tangcla.com - photography

Canon 5D Mark III x2 | 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
100mm f/2.8L IS macro | 200mm f/2.0L IS | 580EX-II x2 | 430EX-II | PocketWizard TT1/TT5
tangcla

Car: B6 Audi S4 (4.2L V8)
Profile URL: http://www.tangcla.com

Return to Audio options