The USB/Aux-in/ipod compatibility superthread

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Re: The USB/Aux-in/ipod compatibility superthread

Postby Chippy » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:09 am

Some feedback on the Anycar link 1080D vs the Clarion interface.

I recently installed the Anycar Link 1080D to replace the Clarion interface unit I have been using in my 05 Liberty. Regrettably, the sound quality of the Anycar link is woeful compared to the Clarion unit. Very tinny sound with feedback noise which I understand relates to the charging capability (i.e power being pushed through the cable)

Anyhow, disappointed given the reviews on the forum and have gone back to the Clarion interface unit. Quality sound again, hooray!

I would be interested to hear if anyone has had a similar experience
Chippy

Car: 05 3.0 R-B Wagon

Postby shav » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:30 pm

From my experience the anycar units are a great upgrade for those wanting to keep their stock head units and still have the ability to run usb or stream from phone and/or blue tooth hands free.

If I were to upgrade head unit I wouldn't be using the anycar link, id be getting a head unit capable of doing all of the above too.

Horses for courses I guess.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby GTbee » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:20 pm

GTbee wrote:I have a MY2005 McIntosh (PF-25511) I'm looking at the ANYCAR 1080C.

What track info is displayed on the head unit in Advanced mode?
What options are available in selections tracks via the head unit or steering wheel control? It is just previous track, next track and pause?

Can anyone answer this? :?
GTbee

Car: 2005 3.0R-B 6 speed Blue Sedan

Postby lastmile » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:18 am

Monkey wrote:
lastmile wrote:I just added Bluetooth connectivity to my stock audio system in my MY08 Liberty Sedan.

Got a "3.5mm Audio Output USB Bluetooth Stereo Music Receiver Adapter for Speaker (U35-K)" off eBay for $11 shipped. I'd already installed a USB charger in the accessory power socket in the centre console, so I just plugged the USB receiver in and looped the 3.5mm into to AUX in.

When I turn the car on, the receiver automatically turns on and gives a confirmation chime through the stereo. After the initial pairing my iPhone connects automatically.

Sound quality seems just as good as the direct 3.5mm AUX connection. No microphone, so no hands free. But for $11 it was a no brainer.

http://www.spider-foot.com/35mm-audio-output-usb-bluetooth-stereo-music-receiver-adapter-for-speaker-u35k-p-1682.html

I was looking at getting one of these. I've currently got a Kogan BT unit (http://www.kogan.com/au/buy/home-stereo ... oth-audio/) which works well, but when connected to power it charges the internal battery and turns off BT. Given I use BT infrequently but don't want to set up each time, one which is always powered with ignition seems the go.

This seems like the perfect BT solution, but I'd be interested to know how it goes in terms of reliability given the very cheap price.

Two months on and it's still working perfectly. I've most forgotten it's there.
lastmile

Car: MY08 Liberty Sedan 2.5i Luxury

Postby sumitch74 » Sat May 24, 2014 10:21 am

Hi, I am new to the forum and hope I am not flogging a wet dog with this question but... We have an MY11 GT wagon with the McIntosh system. We can only get bluetooth to work with phone-calls and not audio streaming. We have a rca adaptor and charger cord set up currently but I hate cords and am sure there is someway to have the head-unit connect to my iphone for music as well as calls as it does in my poverty pack ford...Could someone please help
sumitch74

Car: MY11 GT Liberty wagon

Postby Cushie Audio » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:45 pm

Hi Guys,

Some of you are probably familiar with the Grom Audio range of products that fit to Subaru Radios as it is discussed a bit on this forum.

So we just wanted to let you know that Cushie Audio are running an EOFY sale on all products including these Subaru USB bluetooth car adapters. It is 10% off and free shipping until the end of June.

http://www.cushieaudio.com.au/vehicles/subaru.html

They support a range of Kenwood stereos and some McIntosh (with limitations). Please see compatibility tab on the products.

Have a great weekend.
Cushie Audio

Profile URL: http://www.cushieaudio.com.au

Postby LorrenK » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:22 pm

sumitch74 wrote:Hi, I am new to the forum and hope I am not flogging a wet dog with this question but... We have an MY11 GT wagon with the McIntosh system. We can only get bluetooth to work with phone-calls and not audio streaming. We have a rca adaptor and charger cord set up currently but I hate cords and am sure there is someway to have the head-unit connect to my iphone for music as well as calls as it does in my poverty pack ford...Could someone please help

Have you got your phone set up right? If it's set to calls only over bluetooth, then it won't stream anything else. Set it to 'stream calls and media over bluetooth' if it isn't already.
Simple things first :)
Subaru Liberty MY08 GT.B-Spec Wagon 6sp, aka "The Scub". Parrot MKi9200. Soundstream monobloc and Memphis 12" sub. Ultrex front lip. STi short-shifter. DefiLink Boost and Oil press. gauges. Fujitsubo Legalis Super R 3" Catback Exhaust. Custom painted Tb-STi rims. Wilwood Racing front rotors and callipers with braided lines. Apex'i CAI and G88 fabricated enclosure. KiDo tune (finally!!). Cusco swaybars. Cusco tower brace with master cylinder stopper. tbSTi leather/suede seats. Leo's Angel Eyes, HID highbeams and LED foglights. Hella Supertones. GFB TMS Response II BOV.
LorrenK

Car: MY08 Liberty GTB 6sp wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19651

Postby FXD » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:29 pm

I bought a Yatour YT-M07 unit with added bluetooth handsfree kit for my MY07 Spec B with McIntosh stereo.

Was about $150 delivered from China.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Yatour-D ... 58371.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Yatour-B ... 91732.html

This is a bit of an upgrade to previous Yatour/Anycar models as it has both USB/SD connectivity as well as iPod/iPhone.

I connected it today and unfortunately it only half works - it plays off the SD card but I cannot control or change tracks/CD folders using the stereo unit, and when I play off the iPhone, I can't control/skip tracks using the head unit. Plus there is a slight background hiss when the iPhone is plugged in, which you don't notice when music is playing.

Bluetooth works great, no complaints there.

If it worked as advertised I would be happy with it, but no headunit control is a deal breaker, so I've asked for a refund.

I think I will bite the bullet and get the double din fascia and buy an amplifier and lose my lovely glossy black finish on the stereo.

Whilst I save up for all that I'll get a cheap $15 eBay china handsfree kit and keep burning CDRWs with my mp3s.
FXD

Car: 2007 Liberty 3.0R Spec B

Postby FXD » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:53 pm

lastmile wrote:I just added Bluetooth connectivity to my stock audio system in my MY08 Liberty Sedan.

Got a "3.5mm Audio Output USB Bluetooth Stereo Music Receiver Adapter for Speaker (U35-K)" off eBay for $11 shipped. I'd already installed a USB charger in the accessory power socket in the centre console, so I just plugged the USB receiver in and looped the 3.5mm into to AUX in.

When I turn the car on, the receiver automatically turns on and gives a confirmation chime through the stereo. After the initial pairing my iPhone connects automatically.

Sound quality seems just as good as the direct 3.5mm AUX connection. No microphone, so no hands free. But for $11 it was a no brainer.

http://www.spider-foot.com/35mm-audio-output-usb-bluetooth-stereo-music-receiver-adapter-for-speaker-u35k-p-1682.html

When you say 'no microphone, no handsfree' can you still have the call audio come through the aux input out the car stereo, and you use the phone's microphone for them to hear what you are saying?
FXD

Car: 2007 Liberty 3.0R Spec B

Postby hummbug » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:16 pm

FXD wrote:I bought a Yatour YT-M07 unit with added bluetooth handsfree kit for my MY07 Spec B with McIntosh stereo.

Was about $150 delivered from China.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Yatour-D ... 58371.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Yatour-B ... 91732.html

This is a bit of an upgrade to previous Yatour/Anycar models as it has both USB/SD connectivity as well as iPod/iPhone.

I connected it today and unfortunately it only half works - it plays off the SD card but I cannot control or change tracks/CD folders using the stereo unit, and when I play off the iPhone, I can't control/skip tracks using the head unit. Plus there is a slight background hiss when the iPhone is plugged in, which you don't notice when music is playing.

Bluetooth works great, no complaints there.

If it worked as advertised I would be happy with it, but no headunit control is a deal breaker, so I've asked for a refund.

I think I will bite the bullet and get the double din fascia and buy an amplifier and lose my lovely glossy black finish on the stereo.

Whilst I save up for all that I'll get a cheap $15 eBay china handsfree kit and keep burning CDRWs with my mp3s.

I have just purchased the same two units - about $120 from China via AliExpress for my MY06 3.0RB Wagon. The install was simple and I just followed some of the step by steps here and on Youtube for removing the head unit. I stored the new unit in the glove box and ran the wires between the trim and up into the box with very little showing or hanging out - pretty clean.

I've found the following:
Just press the MODE button twice to access the box.
The sound quality is very good, as good as CD quality with little to no BG noise from the system.
The USB works great, I loaded up a 4gb stick with 6 folders (each one an album) and I can select each folder like it's a CD, using the 1-6 buttons on the headunit. I can skip tracks using the wheel controls, search through the tracks using the head unit and volume control is as normal. NO MP3 details come up on the display and the display just defaults to what was on there last OR the volume indicator. The unit stated that this would work so it's a bit disappointing but hardly a dealbreaker for me.
I haven't tried the SD card or 3.5mm jack yet, no need.
The BT module just plugs into the back of the main unit and from that comes a remote button and microphone for phone interaction. I ran the mic and remote back the other way as you can see in the photo and it's pretty clean (I haven't stuck anything down yet but am happy with it for now)
BT connection with my iPhone 5S was easy and immediate and it works bug-free now that I have it setup. I use the remote to call up Siri on the phone and then voice command everything on my phone- making calls, calling up navigation and choosing music. The TRACK UP button on the steering wheel also answers and cancels phone calls. It all works as it should but I can't skip tracks with the head unit or steering wheel when playing music from the phone.
The call quality is good on both sides, I've tested it with a couple of people while driving and it all ran fine. You can't make calls when listening to the Radio, you have to be in the Yatour box mode but you can be listening to the USB and access the phone by pressing the remote button to make calls - AND calls come through. I don't really listen to the radio that much so this isn't a big deal anyway. There might be a way around it - haven't tried anything yet.

Overall I'm very happy with the integration, easy install and sound quality of these units and would recommend them for anyone wanting to add these features to the stock Mcintosh stereo in these older cars. The unit shipped to me in under two weeks and the transaction was easy via ali express.

[img][IMG]http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w404/hummbug12/photo1_zps40d686ce.jpg[/img]l[/img]
[img][IMG]http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w404/hummbug12/photo2_zps7792087b.jpg[/img][/img]
hummbug

Car: MY06 3.0R Spec B Wagon 6MT

Postby psy » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:32 pm

Quick Q. have searched but unable to find a definitive answer.

I have a Kenwood 204KH? HU. Toying with the idea of getting a Grom (as I assume that is the only unit suitable) to replace the aux-in and charger in the centre console setup.

Does song info get displayed on the kenwoods, or only the Macs?
2016 Subaru Forester XT Premium
psy
-stickered-

Car: 2016 Forester XT Premium

Postby Tex 3.0R-B » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:55 pm

I thought I would add my experience with the Grom BT3 in my MY04 Liberty with a Macintosh Headunit.
It works a treat! Install was easy, audio quality is good and phone calls are clear. I cant use the steering wheel controls for track changing but can use the vol. I have a Sony Xperia and it paired well to the unit.
The Xperia has a setting that allows me to program it to play my music as soon as a 3.5mm jack is inserted and when removed it automaticly peauses the track.

Thanks to Cushie Audio. Great product and good service.
If thinking about the upgrade DO IT! my CD was skipping and driving me insane now I have crystal clear music on demand.
Tex 3.0R-B

Car: 04 Liberty Wagon

Postby Jamie81 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:31 pm

Hi All,

Just a quick question, does anybody know what model McIntosh head unit is in the MY09 Liberty GT Spec B? I have just bought the car and Cushie have asked to ensure the Grom will work.

Anybody with an 09 had any luck with the Grom?

Cheers, jamie
Jamie81

Car: 2009 Liberty GT Spec B Wagon

Postby QLDliberty » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:28 pm

I just installed an advanced ice 15006 Aux/iPod unit on my 2005 3.0R-B. Unfortunately it doesn't allow me to skip tracks on the head unit or steering wheel.
Only plays through the 3.5mm cable, with perfect sound. When using the iPod connector it charges but won't play. I know some models have full function but not mine.
I will put it for sale on eBay, I paid $199. I'll sell it for $150 delivered in aus.
QLDliberty

Car: 2005 3.0R-B sedan

Postby QLDliberty » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:01 pm

I've just put the advanced ice unit on eBay for $120 delivered
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121414450445
QLDliberty

Car: 2005 3.0R-B sedan

PreviousNext

Return to Audio options