The USB/Aux-in/ipod compatibility superthread

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Re: The USB/Aux-in/ipod compatibility superthread

Postby Jamie81 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:04 pm

I just had the GROM installed in MY09 Liberty GT Spec B, works well.

I can answer the phone from the steering wheel by pressing the mode button, but that's it for control via the steering wheel. The Bluetooth works really well and the sound quality when playing from my iphone is amazing with the 14 speaker mcintosh sound system, much better than when just listening to the radio.

I like it as you can't see the usual after market Bluetooth controller.

Cheers, Jamie
Jamie81

Car: 2009 Liberty GT Spec B Wagon

Postby bennygsr » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:21 pm

I'm planning the Grom ipd 3 in my my08 Spec b 3.0 but am wondering if it's overkill given I already have the ipod aux in the centre console?

I'd like to have ipod connection (obviously already got this in basic format), but using the dock connector as opposed to headphones (I am led to believe it's better quality for audio)

I'd also like to have handsfree phone,and think the grom is reasonable value for this.
The massive bonus is the steering wheel controls, and compatibility with HU.
A few questions:
1. Does the grom charge the iphone ipod?
2. Can I have an ipod connected AND an iphone answering calls on the blueetoth??
3.DOes the Grom replace the stock ipod adaptor, and is there a reasonable alternative given I've already got that to get me steering wheel controls some sort of phone option??
Excuse me if I am making obvious mistakes, but there are so variations, and I starting to fry my brain!
bennygsr

Postby kane2785 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:35 pm

Heres a little diagram to get the AUX input working :)
This is if you have the AUX button and the correct connector on the back of the radio. (eg: GX-204JH)

Subaru AUX Pinout (Unit with AUX Button).jpg
Subaru AUX Pinout (Unit with AUX Button).jpg (188.93 KiB) Viewed 630 times

Sorry about poor quality scan.

Once that pin is grounded - you will be able to switch to AUX.
Then simply wire up the L & R & signal GND.

Hope this helps,

Matt
Wavetech Imports

I can confirm that this works for a '07 tbSTi with a made in Japan PF-28241. The AUX button now functions and audio is heard.
I made up a cable, with female header strip. Something like: http://www.altronics.com.au/p/p5383-oupiin-2-x-10-pin-11mm-header-socket/. It held in nicely, with a little hot melt.
Worth noting is that the 'Green" wire must go to chassis GND, not AUX GND in order for the radio to recognise the input.
The level was on the low side, so I also added a amplifier in series. I now have Full volume at 1/2 setting on a Nexus 5, and ~35 on the head unit.
kane2785

Car: '07 tbSTi OBP 6MT Sedan

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:31 pm

Awesome!
So this is a DIY substitute for the OE aux-in adapter? :good:

I'd like to know how you added and amplifier in series (or I'll be googling it :) )
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby seath » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:58 pm

bennygsr wrote:I'm planning the Grom ipd 3 in my my08 Spec b 3.0 but am wondering if it's overkill given I already have the ipod aux in the centre console?

I'd like to have ipod connection (obviously already got this in basic format), but using the dock connector as opposed to headphones (I am led to believe it's better quality for audio)

I'd also like to have handsfree phone,and think the grom is reasonable value for this.
The massive bonus is the steering wheel controls, and compatibility with HU.
A few questions:
1. Does the grom charge the iphone ipod?
2. Can I have an ipod connected AND an iphone answering calls on the blueetoth??
3.DOes the Grom replace the stock ipod adaptor, and is there a reasonable alternative given I've already got that to get me steering wheel controls some sort of phone option??
Excuse me if I am making obvious mistakes, but there are so variations, and I starting to fry my brain!

Answers for you my friend:

1: yes, and the iPod dock connector audio is far better than aux in.
2: yes, will automatically pause iPod music and pick up B/T call, then restart music after call ends. Just can't have an audio source open on both at the same time. Also make sure your phone doesn't try to auto play music over bluetooth when it picks up a signal.
3: not sure, depends on the headunit. The GROM unit plugs into the cd changer port on the rear of the headunit. If the aux in plugs in somewhere else then you have the benefit of both. Can't answer this as my H/U never had aux in.

HOWEVER disregard all of that if your H/U is Macintosh and double check on the GROM website that they support Mac units. I'm fairly certain they don't (I checked the website just now, says no.)
seath

Car: MY06 Liberty 2.5i Sedan

Postby bennygsr » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:52 pm

Thanks seath- I was looking at the Grom because it does work with the mac units? But I'll double check before buying.
bennygsr

Postby kane2785 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:56 pm

I Designed/Made my own small PCB and circuit.
It is a modified 'CMoy' design, with some additional noise filtering and ground isolation.
It may not be needed for other phones, but my Nexus has a stupid hearing protection function, so the volume is fairly low.
kane2785

Postby ysKn » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:20 am

I can confirm that this works for a '07 tbSTi with a made in Japan PF-28241. The AUX button now functions and audio is heard.
I made up a cable, with female header strip. Something like: http://www.altronics.com.au/p/p5383-oupiin-2-x-10-pin-11mm-header-socket/. It held in nicely, with a little hot melt.
Worth noting is that the 'Green" wire must go to chassis GND, not AUX GND in order for the radio to recognise the input.
The level was on the low side, so I also added a amplifier in series. I now have Full volume at 1/2 setting on a Nexus 5, and ~35 on the head unit.

That is awesome!
Much cheaper than the ~$125 Subaru quoted me. :)

So I'm assuming Left, Right and Ground join onto something like this: http://www.altronics.com.au/p/p0093-3.5mm-chassis-mount-stereo-jack-socket/
And the Chassis GND is found on a dangling cable running out of the back of the head unit?

Cheers!
ysKn

Car: MY07 Liberty

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:41 am

Chassis ground is any bolt on the body or commonly a bolt or screw on eg the metal side of the unit or its frame :)
Use a continuity checker to be sure :)
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby kane2785 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:10 am

I tied the 'Chassis GND' to the case of the head unit (or the ground wire going to it).
That chassis socket would work well.
kane2785

Postby ysKn » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:45 am

When I look on the installation manual of the OEM AUX cord: http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16093&page=2
It seems to show that the Chassis GND is connected onto a cable that is hanging from the head unit. When I pulled my head unit out to have a look there seems to be a black cable with it's tip just hanging on a hook, is that the Chassis GND? http://imageshack.com/i/idjzNqlVj <--The black one in the middle of the picture.
ysKn

Postby kane2785 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:51 am

ysKn wrote:When I look on the installation manual of the OEM AUX cord: http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16093&page=2
It seems to show that the Chassis GND is connected onto a cable that is hanging from the head unit. When I pulled my head unit out to have a look there seems to be a black cable with it's tip just hanging on a hook, is that the Chassis GND? http://imageshack.com/i/idjzNqlVj <--The black one in the middle of the picture.

Yes.
Also the Black wire on the multi pin white connector.
kane2785

Postby ysKn » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:55 am

kane2785 wrote:Yes.

So I just pick one, right? I don't have to touch the one in the white connector?
Thanks for your help, not at all familiar with electronics. :)
ysKn

Postby Shiv » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:57 am

bennygsr wrote:Thanks seath- I was looking at the Grom because it does work with the mac units? But I'll double check before buying.

It works with my MY08 Mac.

Got it in the last 2-months...
MY08 'off-road spec' Outback 3.0R Premium -- 1"inch raised King Springs, 1"inch lifting blocks, SubaXtreme alloy front & rear bars, KIDO Tune, Valenti Style Tail Lights + much much more!
Shiv

Car: MY08 Outback 3.0R Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27335

Postby kane2785 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:08 am

ysKn wrote:
kane2785 wrote:Yes.

So I just pick one, right? I don't have to touch the one in the white connector?
Thanks for your help, not at all familiar with electronics. :)

Yep, pick the one that's easiest to get to. Solder is best, if you can. Crimp/Tap second, and a distant third is the 'ol Twist and Tape
kane2785

PreviousNext

Return to Audio options