Parrot MKi9200 installed to Factory McIntosh AMP

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Parrot MKi9200 installed to Factory McIntosh AMP

Postby edy80y » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:14 pm

Hi All,

A couple of weeks ago i installed the Parrot MKi9200 into my MY08 GTB, so i want to share with you how i went about installing it to the factory AMP.

My main objective was to use my iPhone to listen to music in the car without having to change the audio setup (as a bonus i can make/receive handsfree calls too).

I tried using the Xcarlink and it didn't work for me (although it seems to work on earlier models) so i kept researching and found a user on LegacyGT who did the same thing as this.

For this to work i needed the following:

1 x Subaru AUX cable installed to HU ($115)
1 x Parrot MKi9200 ($397 from sydneyinstallers.com.au)
1 x MUSIC-SOT-7463-AM-a Music lead for Parrot MKi9200 Subaru Liberty with McIntosh (from ebay) (74 pounds from ebay)
1 x Subaru Liberty workshop manual to tell me how to pull shit apart and put it back together again.
......and some tools

I didn't take many step by step photos because to be honest it was pretty straight forward and there are plenty of thread on this forum on how to pull stuff apart.

So here goes :

1 - Remove handbrake boot, gear changer, centre console, and the bits next to the drivers left leg.

2 - Remove the bolts from the front passenger seat, and tilt the seat back to gain access to the amp (after reading the warning about disconnecting the plugs under my seat for the motor and air bags i shit myself so i decided not to pull them off)

3 - Remove the nuts holding the amp down to the floor.

4 - Disconnect the white connector going to the amp and plug in the equivalent connector from the ebay harness, then plug the original connector coming from the HU into the other end of the harness. The harness is like an 'L' shape (3 plugs), where 2 of them sit between the HU and amp, and the other plug goes into the Parrot box. (i pushed the harness through the carpet on the centre of the passenger side down to the opening near the amp so everything is concealed.

5 - The harness does not get accessory connection, only constant voltage so i found the blue wire on the harness which has a bullet plug inline, and i wired it to the ciggie lighter in the centre console, this is to ensure the parrot turns off when my car is off.

6 - The harness comes with a 2meter extension. I ran this under the carpet (across the centre of the car, then along the drivers left leg side) and positioned the parrot box behind my pedals. Later on i will try to fit it behind the plastic cover where the steering wheel adjuster lever is.

7 - I mentioned before that you need the AUX cable fitted to your HU, this is important as it will pump the music through all speakers in the car, in my case 14 of them. The harness comes with an additional AUX cable where one end is a 3.5mm headphone plug and the other plugs into the harness itself. i routed this cable into my centre console and have it permanently plugged into my AUX socket in the centre console.

8 - The screen was mounted on the opposite side of the hazard light button. The wiring is hidden behind the right 'L' shaped silver trim and is routed to the parrot box

9 - The microphone is mounted above my rear view mirror. Basically, i removed the rubber seal near the pillar and ran the wire through to the top, and then i pushed it into the ceiling along the windscreen. There is no need to remove the actual interior trimming of the pillar to the wire in.

10 - Put the car back together again.

Now, i can pair my iPhone to the Parrot box and stream music to all speaker in the car,and I can make and receive hands free calls. The satnav can still mute the music if it need to speak to me, and the volume control and mute on my steering still works.

Overall I'm extremely happy with this set up.

Here are the photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54791808@N02/6775134713
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54791808@N02/6775133827
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54791808@N02/6775134073
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54791808@N02/6775133457
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54791808@N02/6775133131
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54791808@N02/6775132437
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54791808@N02/6775132719
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54791808@N02/6775132205
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54791808@N02/6775131925

Cheers,
Eddie S
edy80y

Car: 2008 MY08 Liberty GT Spec.B

Re: Parrot MKi9200 installed to Factory McIntosh AMP

Postby Smithyy » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:30 pm

Awesome job, A lot of people are after a working solution, this will help greatly!
2007 GT Spec-B Sedan
Smithyy
-stickered-

Car: 2007 GT Spec-B Sedan
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14961

Postby bigBADbenny » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:20 pm

Awesome - if you did it... I can! :-)
Thanks for the detailed instructions & pics!
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby edy80y » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:12 am

No worries at all. Its good to give back after all the stuff i have learnt form this forum!!
edy80y

Postby champ » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:20 am

Very good walkthrough, each step detailed very well.
champ
-stickered-

Car: MY07 GT Spec.B Tuned by STi 6MT OBP

Postby Alexip » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:53 pm

i understand that this parrrot system limits the chanel outputs as the parrot cannot run the centre channel or amp.

how does the music sound only running left and right?

or is this what the SOT plug does to overcome this issue?
Alexip

Car: Wrx and GT

Postby edy80y » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:01 pm

Alexip wrote:i understand that this parrrot system limits the chanel outputs as the parrot cannot run the centre channel or amp.

how does the music sound only running left and right?

or is this what the SOT plug does to overcome this issue?

Yeah the harness takes care of it all. Calls appear to come of the front door speakers only, which I'm totally cool with, coz i don't want to hear people talking through all speaks in the car! (it would do my head in)

The pack that i bought from ebay includes the harness that connects to the AMP, HU and Parrot, a 2.5m extension cable for the parrot connection (which i used to fit the parrot behind the pedals) and also includes an additional wire that you can connect to the harness where the other end is a 3.5mm male plug. You need this cable connected to your AUX of the McIntosh HU so that all 14 speakers work (includes centre and sub)

If you do not have the AUX socket fitted in your centre console then you will not get music coming out of all speakers.
edy80y

Postby LorrenK » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:56 pm

edy80y wrote:Yeah the harness takes care of it all. Calls appear to come of the front door speakers only, which I'm totally cool with, coz i don't want to hear people talking through all speaks in the car! (it would do my head in)

The pack that i bought from ebay includes the harness that connects to the AMP, HU and Parrot, a 2.5m extension cable for the parrot connection (which i used to fit the parrot behind the pedals) and also includes an additional wire that you can connect to the harness where the other end is a 3.5mm male plug. You need this cable connected to your AUX of the McIntosh HU so that all 14 speakers work (includes centre and sub)

If you do not have the AUX socket fitted in your centre console then you will not get music coming out of all speakers.

Hi, thanks for the install details, this has been an amazingly helpful article.

I've just done pretty much exactly this in pretty much the same car (08 liberty GTB manual), only I haven't had quite the same results. To be fair, however, it's just as likely to be user error than anything else..
I've pulled the car apart (only bought her a week ago!) and connected the harness and ran it around the car and connected it up to the parrot MKi9200. The Parrot itself seems to work fine. It pairs with my phone, makes and takes calls. But when I plug my ipod in it looks like the parrot or harness is treating the music as a phonecall and routing it through just the front speakers regardless of what input is selected on the HU. And it's unresponsive to the steering wheel controls. Hmm..

Anyway, I've called it a night and will have a fiddle before tying up the cables and putting the car back together tomorrow. A bit of an anticlimax, tho. The car has a perfectly good CKsomething parrot in it when I bought it, but took it out and went for the 9200 specifically for the ipod integration with the McIntosh.

I'm not sure if it's the harness, which is essentially just 3 plugs and an extension, or the wrong harness or a glitchy parrot... My harness came with a little black box in it. a 'mutebox' or something... was that the same in your harness?

On a side note, I found my car differed from the photo walkthroughs I found for taking the interior apart. I had some AC ducting running through the trim under the and centre console and behind where the 'ashtray' is that made pulling largish plugs and cables through a challenge.
Subaru Liberty MY08 GT.B-Spec Wagon 6sp, aka "The Scub". Parrot MKi9200. Soundstream monobloc and Memphis 12" sub. Ultrex front lip. STi short-shifter. DefiLink Boost and Oil press. gauges. Fujitsubo Legalis Super R 3" Catback Exhaust. Custom painted Tb-STi rims. Wilwood Racing front rotors and callipers with braided lines. Apex'i CAI and G88 fabricated enclosure. KiDo tune (finally!!). Cusco swaybars. Cusco tower brace with master cylinder stopper. tbSTi leather/suede seats. Leo's Angel Eyes, HID highbeams and LED foglights. Hella Supertones. GFB TMS Response II BOV.
LorrenK

Car: MY08 Liberty GTB 6sp wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19651

Postby LorrenK » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:32 am

Oh kaaay, never mind what I just said; just a bad case of RTFM.

This works brilliantly! Took me the best part of 2 days, but it was a learning experience; lots of googling and slow, paranoid disassembly. If I had to do it again I think it was take just a few hrs, but it was a good bonding experience with the car :)

A few things of note:
- Once I had the interior apart, the 'ebay' harness is plug and play. Really, it was worth every cent (pence?).

- The harness actually replaces the supplied Parrot harness. It took me a little while to work that out after trying to figure out how to plug them together.

- I had to install my own factory aux connector as my car didn't come with one. Instead of installing the aux jack in the centre console and plugging the parrot input into that, I decided to connect them together and then tuck it away under the centre trim just behind and below the gear stick. Where the aux jack would have gone I popped out the trim panel and ran my music cables through the hole and will dress it up neater down the track a bit.

- I chose to have my ipod in the centre console as the dashboard cubby hole gets pretty hot, and the ipod itself can get a bit warm after a while so the centre bin was a better option. Plus it has a little AC vent in it which is handy, at least in my mind.. Also since I had that trim apart anyway I thought it was much simpler than having to dismantle my way in behind the glovebox on top of everything else. The advantage of this was I didn't need to dremmel holes in anything to run the music cable, and I don't need to stretch while driving to fiddle in the glovebox if I need to fiddle with it or look at it.

- the contoller I mounted just behind the hand brake, as that's near where my hand naturally is when I have my arm resting on the centre console when I drive.

- I chose to mount the parrot control box under the trim beside the right side of the steering wheel column. (I should have taken a photo but I forgot.. sorry) There's a space where it fits just right and has a secure anchor above and left of it to zip tie to securely with all the plug connectors pointing downward and easy to get the plugs to from various directions.

- Instead of pulling yet another wire under the carpet from the amp (I'd removed and re-bolted the chair and amp 4-5 times by this stage) for the accessory power, I cut the blue acc wired at the control box end, leaving about 15cm, and used a small tap/bridge crimp to pull acc power from the plug that goes into the back of the mirror adjuster. This might sound like a bit of a hack-job but it's quite neat and secure, and is actually how the professionally installed CK Parrot system was wired when I took it out. The acc power wire into the mirror control is the yellow and white one with silver dots. I think that colour pattern is universal throughout the car for acc as it's the same at the ciggie lighter power wires (don't quote me on that tho!) Also, be sure you're cutting the correct wire in the harness if you're doing it this way. From memory there are 2 blue wires. Check the plug diagram in the manual! And then check it again before cutting anything.

-just to try something different, I mounted the display unit on the dash, to the right of the instrument shroud, just above the AC vent. There's just enough downward angle in the mount to be facing me, and there's about 4-5 cm of cable visible before it goes down the gap between the top of the dash and the A pillar. I chose that spot because it's a little closer to my line of sight while driving without obscuring anything. The downside is I can see it's reflection in the windscreen at night above where it sits. Not distractingly or annoyingly so, but it's there. No worse than a windscreen-mounted gps.

- The extension harness I ran from the amp, through the little hole the factory harness comes out of, under the carpet, up the tunnel and along under the centre trim, then up behind the right knee trim and over the top of the steering column to the control box. NOTE TO SELF; the extension harness has a male end and a female end. This is handy to know BEFORE running the entire length of it under, through and around the inside of the car!

- sound quality is excellent. Not absolutely crystal when playing a lossless file, but regular mp3s play more than adequately and sound better than most car audio systems I've heard, and plays through all the speakers.

- my RTFM moment was actually a setting in the Parrot, not anything to do with the harness or my handiwork (phew!) and involves disabling the "Stream music audio mute" option in the music settings. I forget the exact wording, but it's clearly written in a loose piece of paper that came with the harness that I'd put aside when I was unpacking the box. This setting is enabled by default for some reason so turn it off and all will be welle. I was distraught after all my work when I finally powered it up and it sounded rubbish and wasn't working properly. So if this happens to anyone trying this build, it's ok..... RTFM

This job took me the best part of an entire weekend, and was done with no special tools or experience. I did this with just a screwdriver, my trusty gator-grips (a universal socket undoer-er. best $25 ever), a small torch, 'lecco's tape, some zip ties, and some past experience at home car stereo and sub installs in a couple of my previous cars, the youngest of which was my '01 Liberty, nothing like my 08. The hardest part is trusting that you aren't breaking anything when yanking those first bits of trim off. However small hands are a big bonus. I have girlie hands (literally, not just figuratively) and I still struggled with some of the tight (and sharp!) areas.

Another tip is to shop around. I picked up my MKi9200 for $260 (aud) with about $100 and change for the harness, both from ebay, worked out less than the rrp of the parrot itself from a shop, not including another couple of hundred or so for installation which I saved, it's worked out to be a bargain for a high-end, fully integrated solution to the impossible problem of getting my ipod to plug into the McIntosh, because that's really what this is all about :)
Subaru Liberty MY08 GT.B-Spec Wagon 6sp, aka "The Scub". Parrot MKi9200. Soundstream monobloc and Memphis 12" sub. Ultrex front lip. STi short-shifter. DefiLink Boost and Oil press. gauges. Fujitsubo Legalis Super R 3" Catback Exhaust. Custom painted Tb-STi rims. Wilwood Racing front rotors and callipers with braided lines. Apex'i CAI and G88 fabricated enclosure. KiDo tune (finally!!). Cusco swaybars. Cusco tower brace with master cylinder stopper. tbSTi leather/suede seats. Leo's Angel Eyes, HID highbeams and LED foglights. Hella Supertones. GFB TMS Response II BOV.
LorrenK

Postby LorrenK » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:06 am

Finally got around to sharing some photos of the install. This isn't a step by step install guide. These were just some photos I happened to take along the way.
IMAG0306sm.jpg
Initial steps. Much fear and trepidation in just yanking off all those trim pieces. I couldn't figure out how to remove the gearstick boot so left it in place, where it made a handy cover to stop the stick from scratching the HU fascia.
IMAG0306sm.jpg (76.51 KiB) Viewed 17351 times
IMAG0308sm.jpg
Now into the guts of the disassembly. The red box is showing the part of the ducting I encountered which I didn't see in any of the disassembly how-to's That little bit there is what made installing the factory aux cable quite difficult.
IMAG0308sm.jpg (165.85 KiB) Viewed 17351 times
IMAG0321sm.jpg
This shows the duct running under the centre trim and under the centre compartment. At the bottom you can see the plug end of the factory aux cable (white). In the end I decided not to run it into it's regular position in the centre cubby.
IMAG0321sm.jpg (133.46 KiB) Viewed 17351 times
IMAG0316sm.jpg
The bundle of cables is the extension part of the "ebay" harness. It comes up under the carpet from the amp under the passenger chair into this space. This is where I looped it to take up the excess length and tape and zip-tied it neatly away from the handbrake mechanism.
The red square is where I ended up tucking the factory aux cable and black box with the 3.5mm jack. (That's the loose black cable with the white plug) I looped it back around the carpet strip across the tunnel and tucked the box and the aux output from the parrot plugged into it under that duct where there was enough space
IMAG0316sm.jpg (162.44 KiB) Viewed 17351 times
IMAG0311sm.jpg
This is where I called it a night. I'd run out of daylight hence the poor phone camera photo. All connected but in a heap on the floor still and sounding like disappointment...
IMAG0311sm.jpg (186.27 KiB) Viewed 17351 times
IMAG0310sm.jpg
Looking up with the trim removed. You can see the yellow fusebox and my keys in the ignition for orientation. The square shows the plugs from the back of the mirror adjuster and illumination adjustment panel which you need to unplug to take the trim off. This is where I took my ignition power from, one of the wires going into one of those plugs.
The arrow shows the little recess I found that was just right for mounting the Parrot control box; on its edge, plugs pointing downwards. A couple of snug zip-ties is all I used.
IMAG0310sm.jpg (179.43 KiB) Viewed 17351 times
IMAG0331sm.jpg
Voilà! All back together as the maker intended. This shows how I mounted the parrot display unit, and the cable running back and down by the A-pillar. It is relatively visible from outside the car, but the screen is also detachable so I can take it out of the car and (hopefully) make the car less of a break-in target.
IMAG0331sm.jpg (236.61 KiB) Viewed 17351 times
IMAG0346sm.jpg
View from the driver's seat. It's personal preference, but that spot works well for me. I don't even notice the display cable when I look at it, tho it is minimally visible.
IMAG0346sm.jpg (246.06 KiB) Viewed 17351 times
IMAG0345sm.jpg
The center compartment. You can see where the aux jack normally is, and where other's have had to drill a hole into the bin and pernemantly connect the parrot music output. Tucking the aux-in box under the centre trim allowed me to use the standard dress panel, bang a hole in it and run the parrot music cable thru into the centre cubby using the the attached rubber bung to make it look nice and hold the cable secure. The 3 wires are for ipod, regular aux-in and usb. The ciggie power is my phone charger. The parrot won't power more than one input (ipod or usb) at a time.
IMAG0345sm.jpg (239.9 KiB) Viewed 17351 times

So this was my solution. And the result. It was just me having a go, and working it out as I went along. Looking back at these photos a couple of weeks down the track I'm a little impressed at what I did, and after using it for this time and perfectly happy with it. No rattle or squeaks, no intermittent glitches (so far). It's neat and it works : )

Hopefully somebody finds this useful. I couldn't have done it without people sharing on here.
LorrenK

Postby SegR » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:06 am

Good work and thanks for the extra write-up. This looks like a great option for MY08 owners.
Team Beards
Beards Don't Kill People, People With Beards Kill People.
SegR

Car: MY05 3.0R sedan, black
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14605

Postby edy80y » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:09 pm

Great write-up!! Glad to see another successful install of the MKi-9200 :)
edy80y

Postby kangawallafox00 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:04 pm

I've been researching this bluetooth set up for a little while now. So when i found your set up guide you've pretty much sold me. Thank you, I'm sure it'll help me alot on installation.
kangawallafox00

Car: liberty my07 3.0r

Postby LorrenK » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:47 pm

Good luck : )
Down the track and I'm still loving it!
LorrenK

Postby kangawallafox00 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:39 pm

First of all, I really want to thank all involved in this set-up guide. Everything was exactly the way described. And for me, someone who has absolutely no idea how to do any of this sort of thing, it was a great help. Actually more than that, because I wouldn't have had the slightest idea what to do otherwise.
It took me all up probably 9 - 10hrs (over two days) from removing that first silver panel, right through until putting it back again. With plenty of WTFs, please please don't snap's, and ahh I see's :lol:
I just have a couple of questions where I'm sure I haven't followed you guys quite right.
1.The Parrot cuts out the radio etc. perfectly, and goes straight back afterwards. The problem is when music is either bluetoothed or ipoded through the parrot, it only comes through the door speakers. I have (painfully) installed the aux cable which didn't come originally with my baby, and testing it with my ipod (before any parrot work), and it worked fine with all speakers. But if I've followed the instructions correctly (which I'm sure I haven't), if I plug in the the other end of the 3.5mm from the aux cable that came with the parrot to the harness from ebay, parrot stuff only comes from the left door speakers. I even tried plugging it into the mute box (just because it fit lol), with the same left-hand side only result.
Yet if I unplug it and just leave it hanging there, I get all door speakers. Oh, I have the 13 odd speaker system in the car with the front centre dash and rear parcel shelf speakers.

2. As I mentioned earlier, having never done anything like this before, I'm a little scared to cut wires, redo wires, for the acc to power off the parrot when the key is removed. So I have left it powered to constant voltage for the time being. Is this very wise? I mean if I disconnect the parrot screen each stop, do you think it would still suck much (if any) power?

3. And last of all (and probably the most stupid) has anyone had trouble with the doubled sided tape supplied with the parrot? We all know how hot it gets this time of year. Has anyone had it just fall off? I'm going to mount the screen close the the aux button on the mcintosh HU as edy80y has.

I really want to thank you guys again for all your generosity with this thread. If you're ever in Tamworth, I'll buy you a beer :)

Oh, if it helps:
liberty my07 3.0r spec b with everything standard (apart from obviously the parrot now :lol: )
Any, and I mean any, help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
kangawallafox00

Car: liberty my07 3.0r

Next

Return to Audio options