Mcintosh aux in - xcarlink (suzuki model)

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Mcintosh aux in - xcarlink (suzuki model)

Postby SegR » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:19 pm

I'm writing this up as a separate review thread so it can be of benefit to people looking for information on the xcarlink ipod interface.

I got around to installing an xcarlink ipod interface (has bluetooth support but I didn't purchase the add-on part for that) on Sunday. Sydney Installers advised the Suzuki model has the Clarion connector the same as the Mcintosh premium stereo in the Liberties and they were correct - it works.

Installation was a bit of a bitch because I had to remove the handbrake boot, centre console and other crap just to get the stereo out - but that's not the fault of the xcarlink unit. Also beware the vinyl dash trim is soft and damages easily! I installed the small interface box behind the dash, in a gap between the stereo and the glove box - held in with a stack of double-sided tape because getting zip ties around some of the metal parts was too much of a challenge even with my girly hands.

The cable from the xcarlink to the ipod was a little short, and only just reaches from where it is beside the stereo to the centre console between the front seats, with about 20-25cm of cable protruding into the console box. I had to take care to ensure it's safe in the vicinity of the handbrake cable. I also ran a 3.5mm stereo male to male cable from the xcarlink to the console box for future use if I want non-ipod supported - I'm not going through the grief of getting to the back of the stereo again any time soon if I have the choice.

In summary, I can say the xcarlink unit works. I'm not convinced it's CD quality (a lot of my MP3 tracks are at very high bitrates and I know what they sound like through good headphones) but it's acceptable and far better than an FM modulator. It's probably close enough to CD quality if you're not an audiophile - and if you were an audiophile, you'd be ripping out the headunit and replacing it and the mac amp with something else anyway wouldn't you.

When there's no music playing there seems to be a little hiss and buzzing in the background. It's feint and I only heard it before I had the unit fully installed and the car put back together - I don't know whether it's gone now or just drowned out by ambient noise.

Unlike what is described on the various sites referring to the xcarlink unit, it doesn't display anything on the Mac LCD display. The last thing displayed (such as a volume change) will just stay on the screen. Maybe this is different if it's in playlist mode, which I haven't tried yet.

I can use the volume and track controls on the steering wheel and still change tracks on the ipod itself (TBC - I need to check this again). The volume needs to be reasonably high - from 12 to 22 depending on how loud the tracks are. This is generally too loud to listen to the radio on. When the ignition is off the ipod displays the message 'charging not supported' (or similar) but I think once the ignition's on it actually does charge - the battery meter is green with an AC adapter image on it.

So - generally I'm happy but not in awe over the unit. It's OK and is certainly cheaper than buying a fascia and replacing the whole HU and amp - and I get to keep the stock look which I think is decent.

I already had a parrot CK3000 kit installed and this works well (though has now lost my voice tags - not sure if someone was messing with it last time I had the car serviced). For this I had the small control unit mounted to the right of the steering wheel just below the mirror controls and it's very subtle and barely noticable. It connects to a speaker near my left foot and this is good enough - interfacing to the Mcintosh with this kind of kit is difficult because there's no simple audio input and mute wire which can be used. I hit the mute button on the steering wheel when a call comes in - big deal.

Lastly - be aware that if you install an xcarlink or similar kits on a stormy day with your garage door raised 40cm to let some breeze in, then leave the garage for 30 seconds (while leaving the car door open), you may return to find a LASER DOG in your front passenger seat. No, I do not own a dog.

Team Beards
Beards Don't Kill People, People With Beards Kill People.
SegR

Car: MY05 3.0R sedan, black
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14605

Re: Mcintosh aux in - xcarlink (suzuki model)

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:08 pm

Awesome! :lol:
Great if you could post a little update down the track - to report on further developments good or bad too, but this review is great stuff! Thanks a heap!
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby SegR » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:37 pm

Can do.
Team Beards
SegR

Postby SegR » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:13 pm

Update: It still works. Happy with it. Being able to control the ipod from both the steering wheel and the ipod itself == win.
Team Beards
SegR

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:52 am

Nice one! Although I'm using a Belkin BT Aircast, which is pretty good,, I'm still intending to install one of these or the BT Anycalink - for that exact reason - steering wheel control.
bigBADbenny

Postby Fluf » Tue May 22, 2012 7:39 pm

What did you pay for the unit? And where did you find the instructions to deconstruct your car?

Ben
Fluf

Car: MY05 Liberty 3.0r Spec B

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue May 22, 2012 8:42 pm

Great if you could add any extra info here to the The USB/Aux-in/ipod compatibility superthread !
@ fluf: Install info can be found in that post...
bigBADbenny

Postby SegR » Tue May 22, 2012 10:49 pm

Fluf wrote:What did you pay for the unit? And where did you find the instructions to deconstruct your car?

Was $140 from Sydney Installers I think. Instructions were on this forum plus the service manual from some Russian web site helped as well.

bigBADbenny wrote:Nice one! Although I'm using a Belkin BT Aircast, which is pretty good,, I'm still intending to install one of these or the BT Anycalink - for that exact reason - steering wheel control.

Haven't added this one to the superthread as it's a general FM transmitter, not a unit dedicated to the Mac HU (or am I wrong?)

Maybe I should add a 'general alternatives' section?
Team Beards
SegR

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue May 22, 2012 11:17 pm

Ha (Duh :roll: )!!!
Belkin Aircast Auto is a great "general alternative" - it's BlueTooth with track skipping.
As for FM transmitter/modulators, a section in general alternatives could help sort a "best of" (a generally bad bunch).
I'll be able to report on the ECUdatascan FM transmitter soon... :P
bigBADbenny

Postby bradr » Wed May 23, 2012 11:01 am

SegR,

There have been some issues with this unit regarding intermittent switching on and off to the point where the HU was unusable until the plug was pulled on the xcarlink unit. Given your recent posting on this thread, I'm guessing that you haven't had this issue?

Over on this thread: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=16211&start=75 David has suggested that we post up our Subaru and Macintosh model numbers to see if we can find a pattern to the problem.

cheers,

bj
bradr

Car: MY06 3.0R-SpecB Sedan

Postby SegR » Wed May 23, 2012 1:08 pm

There have been a lot of problems with the Axxess cable but I've only seen one problem with the xcarlink (as jay.ritchie mentions in that thread). No I haven't had any issues with my xcarlink unit (ipod model).

I'm not pulling my HU out again to get the model number, but details of which cable types are known to work with which model years of vehicle/McIntosh unit are documented here:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=16196
Team Beards
SegR

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed May 23, 2012 1:20 pm

20 milion + gold stars to you for your efforts on the The USB/Aux-in/ipod compatibility superthread!

Is it sticky yet?
bigBADbenny

Postby Fluf » Wed May 23, 2012 1:22 pm

Just ordered mine, am SHIT at installing this type of thing, will keep yall posted
Fluf

Car: MY05 Liberty 3.0r Spec B

Postby SegR » Wed May 23, 2012 1:29 pm

bigBADbenny wrote:20 milion + gold stars to you for your efforts on the The USB/Aux-in/ipod compatibility superthread!

Is it sticky yet?

Do I get a smiley face stamp too?

And no.

I just did a buttload of reading to work out the best plan of attack for myself and thought it a good idea to make that collection of information available to other people in the same position.

Fluf wrote:Just ordered mine, am SHIT at installing this type of thing, will keep yall posted

Haha it's OK, so am I :-)
Team Beards
SegR

Postby cvas » Mon May 28, 2012 9:09 am

Hi Everyone, first post for me...
Thanks a lot for posting this stuff, I have an MY07 liberty GT, will this work with the Mcintosh stereo? I dont know too much about the models of HU ect. I saw in the The USB/Aux-in/ipod compatibility superthread that it wont work with 08 but will with 05.
Thanks for your help
cvas

Car: MY07 GT-B

Next

Return to Audio options