McIntosh Subwoofer Replacement for 4GEN Liberty

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Re: McIntosh Subwoofer Replacement for 4GEN Liberty

Postby MY-25-GT » Thu May 31, 2012 2:28 pm

I might be interested in a group buy depending on timing cause mine is starting to rattle a bit
Modifications: STI rear spoiler - STI front lip - STI front strut brace - 19inch HSP lexani wheels - SPT air intake - HKS dump pipe - Redback cat back exhuast system - Custom carbon fiber front grill
Future plans: Tech S Tein springs - tint rear lights - HID fog lights and parkers - Boost Guage - Rear Diffuser
MY-25-GT
formerly auz1234

Car: MY08 Liberty GT Spec B

Postby Tim_ » Thu May 31, 2012 6:10 pm

Tim_ wrote:I would be keen for a GB for one of these. Sub is being looked at this arvo to hopefully get rid of the rattle...if its the sub then i will replace with one of these

Confirmed...Sub is kaput, count me in for a group buy
Tim_

Car: my06 liberty 3.0r
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17247

Postby Viper » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:05 pm

I've enquired in the US for a quote to send over 5 units. Seems they are happy to do it, provided the payment can't be easily tracked (i.e. DD or Western Union).
Hopefully they can get back to me soon.

Will create a GB post in the section when prices are confirmed.

Should be good ;p
Viper

Car: MY06 Liberty Spec B

Postby Fluf » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:27 pm

So this is better than the one I suggested? I mean it's a hell of a lot cheaper, but I would gladly pay twice the money for twice the boom. Can someone who knows about these things compare the two in terms of output please?
Fluf

Car: MY05 Liberty 3.0r Spec B

Postby mihai » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:26 am

If you are going to replace the stock sub with this and not change the amp, then I'd be inclined to go for the Morel.

Since the crossover points of the McIntosh amp are unknown, I'd be more inclined to go for the Morel as it has a freq response from 28-900Hz. The Polk is 26-200Hz.

Yes the Polk can handle a bit more power (50W RMS more than the Morel), but saying that, the McIntosh will probably drive the Morel better than the Polk.

Also, if Marty at FHRX recommended the Morel then you can't go wrong.

If you want, ask Marty what he would pick between the Polk and the Morel as he is also a Polk authorised seller.
[New: MY11 FPV F6 | Winter White | Pioneer DEX-P99RS | Alpine PDX-F6 | Alpine PDX-M12 | JL Audio 12W7-AE ]
[Old: MY07 2.0R | Urban Grey | 5 MT | 6000k HID | LED | Alpine IVA-W502E | Alpine PDX1.1000 | Alpine PDX4.150 | JL Audio 12W7v3 | Focal KRX2 ]
mihai

Car: MY07 Liberty 2.0R + MY11 FPV F6

Postby Fluf » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:36 am

Ripper thx mate
Fluf

Car: MY05 Liberty 3.0r Spec B

Postby GTB Liberty » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:57 am

If your keeping the OEM amp then a sub with greater sensitivity is your main concern.

If you hate the HU get a unit like the JBL MS8 to get better sound.

Most people kill drivers by driving them so hot the amp clips. I'm currently I'm running the OEM speakers and sub off an Alpine PDX-5. everything is still alive and works very well - even with a birth sheet sub output of 300W+ into a driver rated at 30W RMS. It is controlled off an MS8 so 24dB per octave crossover / sub sonic filters certainly help.
MY08 Liberty GT Spec B Manual SEDAN | TEAM White | Verso tuned @ ASG 240 Hp & 372 Nm hub dyno| STi | BBK M turbo | GriMspeed | Brembo | Valentine V1 | ECUdatascan | PROVA | HKS | Zero Sports | Phat Performance Parts | ACME | Whiteline | Enkei | Dixcel | Cusco
" . . . and on the 8th day God made Subaru . . . on the 9th supposedly the V8 . . . and on the 10th turbo lag so the V8s would think they had a chance "
GTB Liberty

Car: MY08 Liberty GT Spec B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?t=5714

Postby Viper » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:37 pm

Quotes are in.
GB post up shortly.

------------------------------
EDIT - Seems I cant post in the GB section ;p

Anyway;
Total price in USB is $779 ($390 (sub ~$77 each) +$390 - postage.

Works out (current exchange) rate to ~$159 AU each, however that doesn't include postage from Vic to the people from other states.
I would guess that's ~$20-$40, but no idea @ this stage.

Despite all the chat above, I'm still keen, even though I'm keeping a stock amp/headunit.
I'll PM Ric and see if I can get access to the GB section.
Viper

Car: MY06 Liberty Spec B

Postby bates91 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:01 pm

watching with interest
need to do some reading as well haha dont venture much into the audio section :lol:
bates91
-stickered-

Car: BMW 135i
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15799

Postby Tim_ » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:32 am

bates91 wrote:watching with interest
need to do some reading as well haha dont venture much into the audio section :lol:

+1
Tim_

Car: my06 liberty 3.0r
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17247

Postby Troy » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:25 am

Hi all, searched this topic because I have an issue.

Does anyone know the RMS wattage of the McIntosh amp especially the sub channel?

Problem I have is the previous owner has put a BOSS 12 inch sub in the shelf running off the stock amp, so am guessing its way under powered and probably poor sensitivity, considering a 10 or 8 inch sub with high sensitivity. Or get a second amp to power the sub?

Thoughts?
KIDO tune, resonator delete, HSD monopro coilovers, K&N filter, DBA T2 slotted, Intima SR & SS pads
Troy

Car: 2005 3.0R B

Postby zch91 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:32 am

If you're happy with the bass produced from an 8" low powdered sub then that may be an option for you.
If I were you I'd put in a 12" and a seperate amp running of a low level output converter.
zch91
-stickered-

Car: MY04 GT Premium - Silver 5EAT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15397

Postby scottiemac » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:42 am

Hey Troy,
wow, so they managed to get a 12 in there? didn't think that would fit? did they cut the shelf or just make a mega custom spacer.
I just replaced the stock sub with a SoundStream RF-8W had to put a fair old spacer in there and mat up the area as well.
The RF-8W is fine to use as a free to air sub and i think sounds great but i'm not a doof doof fan i just want it to round out the sound with nice bass.

As far as the stock amp goes is very underpowered for almost any non-stock sub.
Most aftermarket subs won't like being free to air either so make sure you do your home work on what you get.
I had to replace the stock amp, i went with a Alpine PDX-5 and that fits easily in the stock position and runs everything i wanted to throw at it.
Any questions about the install process let me know.
There is also a nice walkthrough on this forum somewhere i remember reading.
Cheers, Scott
scottiemac

Car: MY04 Liberty GT

Postby Skeletor3.0R-B » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:56 am

Scott,

Are you saying that a Alpine PDX-5 can run all of the existing Liberty (mines an '05) speakers? How much did you pay for it, and what head unit did you hook it up too?

Cheers
Skeletor3.0R-B

Car: MY05 Liberty 3.0R Spec-B

Postby scottiemac » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:33 am

Skeletor3.0R-B wrote:Scott,

Are you saying that a Alpine PDX-5 can run all of the existing Liberty (mines an '05) speakers? How much did you pay for it, and what head unit did you hook it up too?

Cheers

Hey Skeletor3.0R-B (awesome name btw, i loved he-man as a kid)
Yeap, that's pretty much exactly what i'm saying.
So it's a 5 channel amp, i think you can land them now for under $500ish but i don't know know for sure i got mine on a deal.
I run it in 4 ohlm so i'm running it 150 watts RMS x 2 (bridged to the front) + 300 watts RMS x 1
but i was running it 75W RMS x 4 + 300W i'm still comparing the difference with staging etc.
Rears running off the deck @ 50w.
Deck is a older Pioneer double din job but does the job.
Anyway it'll run the sub off the sub channel, rears and fronts.
I have my fronts going into a split, mid into the RF60C 6.5 and tweeter running the stock door pillar tweeter and replaced the lower tweeter with the SounStream-RF60C one.
I have the stock 2" installed but not plugged in because otherwise you can see the silver of the matting and it looks weird.
basicsally this one http://www.crutchfield.com/S-KdnLOXuV0lv/p_500PDX5/Alpine-PDX-5.html
The issue with the factory HU is there are no RCA's out's.
Let me know if you have any other questions.
Cheers, Scott
scottiemac

Car: MY04 Liberty GT

PreviousNext

Return to Audio options