McIntosh Subwoofer Replacement for 4GEN Liberty

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

McIntosh Subwoofer Replacement for 4GEN Liberty

Postby jrb » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:48 am

I've notice people on this forum have suggested subwoofers like the Kenwood KFC-XW800F or the Pioneer TS-SW841D but I couldn't find anyone who's actually installed one of these in a Liberty so my question is...

Without having to upgrade the amp has anyone done a straight replacement of a McIntosh 8" Subwoofer with another brand?

Also, are there any tips on removing the existing McIntosh sub from it's bracket?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jrb.
jrb

Car: Subaru Liberty 3.0R 4GEN

Re: McIntosh Subwoofer Replacement for 4GEN Liberty

Postby t.renshaw34 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:44 am

Watching this space. :). I'm looking into a 8" sub upgrade over the mcintosh. You are much better off spending the extra $$$ and getting a amp for it.
Project Lib - HKS-Killer B-STI-Ultrex-Stanza-Innovate-Perrin-Dynamat-DAMD-K2 Gear-BC-Kartboy-Whiteline-Cusco-Brembo-ROTA-Pirelli-Goodridge-Project MU-DBA-EBC-Garage 88-AVO-Redline-Carbign Craft-Walbro-ID-Kstech-Turbosmart-X Force-Rallitek
t.renshaw34

Car: 2005 Black Lib GT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13404

Postby garbo41610 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:51 am

You could use subs like the Pioneer or Kenwood, but you will find yourself disappointed. Neither are sensitive enough to use the power supplied by the OEM Mc amp. Look at something like a Vibe Space8 which pairs very well with the factory amp and would blow the PioWoods (kind of like a Falca-dore) away in performance and quality. Also, without seeing full specs of the subs you can't tell whether they are suited to a free air (infinite baffle, whatever you want to call it) application.

Do some more research on dedicated car audio forums like MEA (mobileelectronics.com.au).
Car(s): Steel Silver MY10 GT Wagon + 1985 Subaru Sherpa

Mods: (GT) HKS Panel Filter. The HKS I put in the MY10 is the same filter I took out of my MY05 GT. So yes, they do fit. Custom leather heel pad to minimise carpet wear in the drivers footwell. Slotted front rotors. (Sherpa) 14'' 6 Spoke mags, Chrome Gear Shift (sick!), Alloy Pedals (sicker!), new positive and negative battery terminals, Alpine cda-9827 H/U, JBL GT 6x9's boxed and mounted (sickest!), Kicker DS650.2 component speakers mounted in the footwells in flibreglass pods, Alpine MRP-F200 4 channel amp (4x40wRMS), Rebadged with hektik chrome eBay badges, STi stickers for more powaaaa, "leather" handbrake boot, recarpetted with grey/black car carpet from Bunnings, sick Clarke Rubber boot mat, polished and waxed.
garbo41610
-stickered-

Car: MY10 GT Wagon Steel Silver

Postby MY-25-GT » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:37 am

Any info on this would be good, Im always wanted to look into a change as well
Modifications: STI rear spoiler - STI front lip - STI front strut brace - 19inch HSP lexani wheels - SPT air intake - HKS dump pipe - Redback cat back exhuast system - Custom carbon fiber front grill
Future plans: Tech S Tein springs - tint rear lights - HID fog lights and parkers - Boost Guage - Rear Diffuser
MY-25-GT
formerly auz1234

Car: MY08 Liberty GT Spec B

Postby jrb » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:44 pm

I can't seem to find the Vibe Space 8 listed on the Vibe Audio website or for sale online anywhere in Australia.

Any suggestions on where to pick one up?

jrb.
jrb

Postby mihai » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:06 pm

jrb wrote:I can't seem to find the Vibe Space 8 listed on the Vibe Audio website or for sale online anywhere in Australia.

Any suggestions on where to pick one up?

jrb.

I have one sitting in my garage.

However I replaced it due to it being damaged.

Could sell it to you cheap and you may be able to get it fixed.

I could head into phatt audio concepts with it sometime this week and see exactly whats wrong with it and how much it would cost to get it fixed for you?
[New: MY11 FPV F6 | Winter White | Pioneer DEX-P99RS | Alpine PDX-F6 | Alpine PDX-M12 | JL Audio 12W7-AE ]
[Old: MY07 2.0R | Urban Grey | 5 MT | 6000k HID | LED | Alpine IVA-W502E | Alpine PDX1.1000 | Alpine PDX4.150 | JL Audio 12W7v3 | Focal KRX2 ]
mihai

Car: MY07 Liberty 2.0R + MY11 FPV F6

Postby garbo41610 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:53 am

Where are you located? Contact FHRX Studios, they do free postage and are one of if not the best installers in the country. Marty is a veeeeeeeeeeery smart man.

Mods: (GT) HKS Panel Filter. The HKS I put in the MY10 is the same filter I took out of my MY05 GT. So yes, they do fit. Custom leather heel pad to minimise carpet wear in the drivers footwell. Slotted front rotors. (Sherpa) 14'' 6 Spoke mags, Chrome Gear Shift (sick!), Alloy Pedals (sicker!), new positive and negative battery terminals, Alpine cda-9827 H/U, JBL GT 6x9's boxed and mounted (sickest!), Kicker DS650.2 component speakers mounted in the footwells in flibreglass pods, Alpine MRP-F200 4 channel amp (4x40wRMS), Rebadged with hektik chrome eBay badges, STi stickers for more powaaaa, "leather" handbrake boot, recarpetted with grey/black car carpet from Bunnings, sick Clarke Rubber boot mat, polished and waxed.
garbo41610
-stickered-

Postby mihai » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:52 am

garbo41610 wrote:Where are you located? Contact FHRX Studios, they do free postage and are one of if not the best installers in the country. Marty is a veeeeeeeeeeery smart man.

I dont think he sells Vibe gear anymore.
I got mine from him, but it was just prior to him not selling it anymore.
[New: MY11 FPV F6 | Winter White | Pioneer DEX-P99RS | Alpine PDX-F6 | Alpine PDX-M12 | JL Audio 12W7-AE ]
[Old: MY07 2.0R | Urban Grey | 5 MT | 6000k HID | LED | Alpine IVA-W502E | Alpine PDX1.1000 | Alpine PDX4.150 | JL Audio 12W7v3 | Focal KRX2 ]
mihai

Postby t.renshaw34 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:00 pm

mihai wrote:
garbo41610 wrote:Where are you located? Contact FHRX Studios, they do free postage and are one of if not the best installers in the country. Marty is a veeeeeeeeeeery smart man.

Did you buy one of their 8" woofers for your lib? If so how did it sound without it's own amp and running off the mc amp.
Project Lib - HKS-Killer B-STI-Ultrex-Stanza-Innovate-Perrin-Dynamat-DAMD-K2 Gear-BC-Kartboy-Whiteline-Cusco-Brembo-ROTA-Pirelli-Goodridge-Project MU-DBA-EBC-Garage 88-AVO-Redline-Carbign Craft-Walbro-ID-Kstech-Turbosmart-X Force-Rallitek
t.renshaw34

Postby mihai » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:53 pm

t.renshaw34 wrote:
mihai wrote:

Did you buy one of their 8" woofers for your lib? If so how did it sound without it's own amp and running off the mc amp.

I never had a McIntoss. So I can't comment on that.

It sounded pretty good when it was powered off my first amp (MRP-F300 - bridged across channels 3+4 for 150WRMS @ 4ohm)
mihai

Postby t.renshaw34 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:59 pm

Nice :). Thanks for the help. A sub upgrade is on the shopping list :).
t.renshaw34

Postby jrb » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:42 pm

Thanks for the offer on the second hand one but I'm keen to get one new.

Is there any other model of sub that'd be a decent straight replacement?

I'll take your advice and try asking at the MEA forum too.

jrb.
jrb

Postby Jonty » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:36 am

Sorry to hijack the thread a little, but is the rear sub in the McIntosh system ('08 wagon) renowned for being subtle? Reason I ask is that I've noticed it doesn't seem to have much 'oomph' - even if I crank the volume/bass up and fade it right to the back speakers. There's just no real bass kick from the rear sub, it's all treble/mid with a bit of a kick from the front.

I'm wondering if this is normal, or if I've got a faulty rear sub... :?
Jonty

Car: 2008 3.0R-B Wagon

Postby garbo41610 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:27 am

They are renowned for not just being "subtle", but outright terrible LOL... It's the same in my Gen5 wagon.

garbo41610
-stickered-

Postby Jonty » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:51 am

Ahh OK, that probably explains it then. :lol: Makes you wonder why they even bothered with putting one in!
Jonty

Car: 2008 3.0R-B Wagon

Next

Return to Audio options