Removal of car door trims (Speakers)

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Removal of car door trims (Speakers)

Postby matty_et » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:57 pm

hey :) i was just wondering if anyone could give me a few tips on removing the door trims to change the speakers n tweeters before i go breaking parts :x

I have a 2005 liberty 2.5i

what im eventually looking at doing is replacing the stock head unit with a double din dvd setup and replacing the stock speakers with some decent quality component speakers and a sub and amp in the boot. If anyone has already done somthing similar could you please let me know what speakers, headunit etc. you used, wheather or not you need to use the cross-overs and if so where you placed them, what sort of connections the OEM speakers use and what connections you used (i think i remember reading someting about the rear speakers using a coaxial connection, how would you go about connecting an after market speaker if this is true?)

Thanks
Your help will be greatly appreciated[/b]
matty_et

Postby Mo_GT » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:35 am

Hey,
To remove the door trims, you first need to snap off the door handle 'covers', then there are two screws that need to be removed from the handles.

Remove the cover from the lock handle and remove one screw from there.

Pull trim off the door and disconnet the cables for the locks.

Your other questions are hard to answer cos it will depend on what speakers and amps you get. Most components speakers will need passive x-overs but you can go fully active and use the x-overs in the amps.

All the oem speakers are connected by wire - positive and negative with plug connectors.

I'd run fresh wire to each aftermarket speaker from your amp /x-overs - this will be easier than cutting the std wires from the head unit and joining longer wires to reach the x-overs /amp in the boot.

In my 05 GT i had 6.5" woofers in the doors, the tweeters in the kick panels, x-overs in the dash, single din hu, 12" sub and the amp in the boot. All doors were sound damped and i ran independant cables (power, ground, RCA and speaker) with appropriate fuses, etc.

Hope this helps :)
Never Argue With An Idiot... They'll Drag You Down To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience.
Mo_GT

Car: GT Spec B

Postby matty_et » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:26 pm

Thanks for your help mate. cheers
matty_et

Return to Audio options