USB for MY10 McIntosh?

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

USB for MY10 McIntosh?

Postby johnnyli » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:33 am

My MY10 liberty has factory McIntosh Nav, and I know Subaru's media hub only fit with non Nav model....
Is there any other ways to let the McIntosh function with USB devices? I've got 8gb musics in the USB thumb drive..... :(
johnnyli

Car: MY10 Liberty Sports Premium

Re: USB for MY10 McIntosh?

Postby Hobber » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:03 pm

The US model is different from ours with the headunits -there is an adaptor for either USB or iPod for the McIntosh system.

http://www.subaru.com.au/models/liberty ... cessories/

click 'audio'

I had the iPod adapter fitted when I bought the car - I actually asked for the USB, but they stuffed up and fitted the iPod one. I decided to keep it as I have an iPod, and you CAN play VIDEO off the iPod but NOT off the USB.... not sure what happens if you connect an iPod to the USB tho?
Hobber

Car: MY10 GT Premium

Postby johnnyli » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:11 pm

Thanks John! Does your Ipod adapter replaced the stock RCA jacks?
Also the Ipod/USB cable is list under 2.5GT on the website, will it fits to my MY10 sports premium with McIntosh?
johnnyli

Postby Hobber » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:43 pm

I would expect so if you have the McIntosh system... I assume it looks identical to the one in the GT?

No functionality or ports are removed with the addition of the adapter... basically they cut a hole in the bottom of the console box to pull the cable through and you get a length of cable with an iPod adapter on the end... not sure about the USB but I'd be very confident it would be the same.

All the RCA jacks remain...
Hobber

Postby johnnyli » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:51 pm

Here is the pic of my headunit, I've never compared it to GT's~~ but I think they are the same...

So I assume this is the only one I'm looking for? part no: H0018AJ901

johnnyli

Postby Hobber » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:30 pm

Yep that's the headunit and the part :)
Hobber

Postby Harlequin » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:55 am

There are some limitations to the USB cable with the MacIntosh you should be aware of, possibly not of importance to some, but was annoying to me. If you're like me, and you like to put your entire thumb drive on random, the only way to do that with the MacIntosh is to put ALL of your song into either one directory, or the root directory. The random function with the USB will only randomise within one folder.

If you also like to just listen to one album (in order or random) you will then need to have that album in its own folder. So to replicate the full controls of playback that you'd get with an Ipod, you basically need to save your music twice to your USB. This became so frustrating for me, I finally, after years of avoiding it, had to go out and buy an Ipod (Filthpod), just to be able to enjoy my music in whatever order i wish.

This was due to the evil handshake agreement between Ipod and Subaru, to be able to have complete control over folders, playlists, auto turn on/off with car start/stop, you really have to go the Ipod option. And even then, once you have the Ipod, the easiest way to play all, is to create your own playlist with every song in it, as the MacIntosh system does not have a play all function like the Ipod does. ****YOU SHOULD ALSO GET THE NAV CABLE HACK**** <------- Without this, you are limited to changes to your playlist, folders etc whilst driving. I bought one for 10 bucks from this forum, and after a 15 min install, the Subaru safety gloves are off and i get full functionality on the move, and can also watch dvds while i drive, straight towards the nearest tree! ha. (Actually the ability to dial a phone nr whilst driving is the best part).

Whew. End rant, hopefully that's made sense.

PS. if you don't like Ipod as I do, the beautiful thing about it is......it hides in the top shelf of my console, never to be seen :D
Harlequin

Car: MY11 Subaru Liberty GT Wagon - Black

Postby speakafreaka » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:44 pm

Hobber wrote:I had the iPod adapter fitted when I bought the car - I actually asked for the USB, but they stuffed up and fitted the iPod one. I decided to keep it as I have an iPod, and you CAN play VIDEO off the iPod but NOT off the USB.... not sure what happens if you connect an iPod to the USB tho?

It wont work with iPhones, or anything else that wont run in USB host mode (iPhones obscure the contents of the drive over usb).

There's a third party options too, don't pay exuberant prices for OEM.. and while you're doing the install you can do the nav hack:

iPod cable only for $38: http://www.audio-discounters.com/aip-cl-id.htm

iPod / USB (and bluetooth) box for $140: http://www.cushieaudio.com.au/subaru-usb3.html
Graphite Grey MY10 Liberty 2.5GT Premium Wagon:G33KMobile 2.0
HiTech Mufflers, HKS Filter, Rear Spoiler, Grille
speakafreaka

Car: MY10 Liberty GT

Postby johnnyli » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:19 pm

speakafreaka wrote:
Hobber wrote:I had the iPod adapter fitted when I bought the car - I actually asked for the USB, but they stuffed up and fitted the iPod one. I decided to keep it as I have an iPod, and you CAN play VIDEO off the iPod but NOT off the USB.... not sure what happens if you connect an iPod to the USB tho?

It wont work with iPhones, or anything else that wont run in USB host mode (iPhones obscure the contents of the drive over usb).

There's a third party options too, don't pay exuberant prices for OEM.. and while you're doing the install you can do the nav hack:

iPod cable only for $38: http://www.audio-discounters.com/aip-cl-id.htm

iPod / USB (and bluetooth) box for $140: http://www.cushieaudio.com.au/subaru-usb3.html

Thanks! but does it 100% works with MY10's McIntosh?
johnnyli

Postby speakafreaka » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:59 pm

The first link I found here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.p ... 14161.html

The second was from a company I found when we were looking for a cheap option for my mates vw golf gti.
speakafreaka

Postby ROGER_BRIGGS » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:37 pm

Harlequin wrote:There are some limitations to the USB cable with the MacIntosh you should be aware of, possibly not of importance to some, but was annoying to me. If you're like me, and you like to put your entire thumb drive on random, the only way to do that with the MacIntosh is to put ALL of your song into either one directory, or the root directory. The random function with the USB will only randomise within one folder.

If you also like to just listen to one album (in order or random) you will then need to have that album in its own folder. So to replicate the full controls of playback that you'd get with an Ipod, you basically need to save your music twice to your USB. This became so frustrating for me, I finally, after years of avoiding it, had to go out and buy an Ipod (Filthpod), just to be able to enjoy my music in whatever order i wish.

This was due to the evil handshake agreement between Ipod and Subaru, to be able to have complete control over folders, playlists, auto turn on/off with car start/stop, you really have to go the Ipod option. And even then, once you have the Ipod, the easiest way to play all, is to create your own playlist with every song in it, as the MacIntosh system does not have a play all function like the Ipod does. ****YOU SHOULD ALSO GET THE NAV CABLE HACK**** <------- Without this, you are limited to changes to your playlist, folders etc whilst driving. I bought one for 10 bucks from this forum, and after a 15 min install, the Subaru safety gloves are off and i get full functionality on the move, and can also watch dvds while i drive, straight towards the nearest tree! ha. (Actually the ability to dial a phone nr whilst driving is the best part).

Whew. End rant, hopefully that's made sense.

PS. if you don't like Ipod as I do, the beautiful thing about it is......it hides in the top shelf of my console, never to be seen :D

Harlequin,

Just so that I am understanding the technical niceties here - I'm soon to take delivery of my MY11 2.5 GT - do I fork out $416 to get an OEM Subaru iPod connection fitted rather than a USB connection, then go out and buy a iPod music player (the NANO appears to be the cheapest) and throw away my MP3 player? But will the iPod accessory allow me full control of the music selection via the steering wheel controls and also display on the Sat Nav screen?
ROGER_BRIGGS

Car: 2.5 GT Auto (MY11) - Graphite Grey

Postby johnnyli » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:42 pm

I would choose the USB rather than ipod.... just cant be borther to convert MP3/WMA into ipod formats..... yes, I'm very lazy...lol :lol:
Plus the USB also support the ipod from the part descriptions:

johnnyli

Postby speakafreaka » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:44 pm

Or just use Bluetooth.
speakafreaka

Postby Harlequin » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:03 am

Harlequin,

Just so that I am understanding the technical niceties here - I'm soon to take delivery of my MY11 2.5 GT - do I fork out $416 to get an OEM Subaru iPod connection fitted rather than a USB connection, then go out and buy a iPod music player (the NANO appears to be the cheapest) and throw away my MP3 player? But will the iPod accessory allow me full control of the music selection via the steering wheel controls and also display on the Sat Nav screen?

If you want full functionality (mp3 player start automatically when car turns on/off auto when car turns off, self charging, full steering wheel control, touch screen control resembling the ipod menu) then yes, you will have to join the dark side and buy an apple product. (BUT MAKE SURE U GET THE SATNAV CABLE HACK!!)

I have tried with numerous other mp3 players, which all work in some areas, but don't have the same total control as the apple. (ie can change volume via steering wheel, have to change music via player itself, have to remember to turn on/off player) Hence, my reluctant purchase 8)

Yes, you can look at bluetooth options, but I'm pretty sure you'll still have to turn that on/off yourself. I do sound like a lazy bugger, but hey, I spent 50+k on my car, so I want it to it all for me!!

As to which cable to get, I'd get the USB cable, as your ipod will work with it, plus you can also use thumbdrives if you like. If you get the Ipod cable only, well, your rather limited as to your plug n play options.....

Hope this helps.
Harlequin

Car: MY11 Subaru Liberty GT Wagon - Black

Postby johnnyli » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:05 am

Hi Harlequin,
How did you hack the McIntosh? Is it same as the non McIntosh nav?

Cheers,
Johnny
johnnyli

Next

Return to Audio options