Re: USB for MY10 McIntosh?

Postby Mallow » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:11 am

So is there a cheaper alternative to purchasing this cable??? :?:
Mallow

Car: 2012 Liberty GT

Postby garthos » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:26 pm

BUMPing an old thread

I'm looking to add ipod/usb connectivity to a MY10 GT w/Sat Nav. Anyone know if there is a cheaper alternative to the overpriced Subaru supplied option?
garthos
-stickered-

Car: MY10 GT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21375&start=30

Postby garthos » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:00 pm

bump
garthos
-stickered-

Postby garthos » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:25 pm

any part numbers available for the Subaru supplied USB/IPOD cables?

At this stage I will speak to Subaru when the car goes in for its next service and consider getting the official cable.
garthos
-stickered-

Postby ceh » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:41 am

Hi,

this thread is by far the best on the net about this topic. Some threads elsewhere, but this one even has pictures of the $300+ beauty. Reason enough to sign up here, from the other side of the world. Even though it's not McIntosh branded, numbers for the cables are the same here (H0018AJ901 for USB, H0018AJ900 for iPod). I've found the cable for as cheap as 299,50 EUR. A real bargain!

Got a TMC receiver today (way cheaper than the original one, I hope it fits), and when installing, planning to have look at the funny USB plug when the HU is removed anyway. A problem I expect is to figure out which pins to connect to. The iPod has many more pins than USB, so most of the pins of the $300-plug will probably be connected to something. Did anyone with access to the USB version of the cable identify the pins before installing the cable?

Also, google found this one:
http://www.impex-jp.com/zip/nomer/H0018AJ901.html
While ¥6000 isn't really cheap for a USB cable, it would be something I might be willing to pay. There's a little shopping cart icon, and something like checkout, but then I'm stuck. Can anyone translate? Probably something like "only order in batches of 1000", or "minimum order amount ¥1b").

ceh
ceh

Car: Outback 2.5 MT

Postby ceh » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:55 am

Removed the HU today. Original plan was to build something that fits into that connector. Change of plan though, as the plug is now identified. Which was rather easy as the manufacturer's name (Mitsumi) is printed inside the connector.

http://www.mitsumi.co.jp/latest/Catalog ... _b59_e.pdf

A bit worried about the "left out". The original one seems to be a "right out". Left would collide with other connectors.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be available to consumers directly, and in small quantities. Alibaba.com lists offers down to a minimum of 10 pieces. That's probably still way cheaper than the original cable.
ceh

Postby ceh » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:00 pm

Short update. No luck on getting the real connector, giving up, going to build my own connector as originally planned. Important milestone reached, though :D

For me pins seem to work (no speakers connected, but mp3s are obviously playing according to the display) as follows, as seen from the back of the unit. No guarantees, use at your own risk, etc.:

Code: Select all
o  Mitsumi  G

R   o   W   o

o   O   o

B   o   o   o

where
BRGW = black/red/green/white (ground/+5V/D+/D-) from standard usb extension cord
o is unused pins (in this use-case)
O is the mechanical guide for the connector
ceh

Postby webbsimax » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:39 pm

ceh wrote:Short update. No luck on getting the real connector, giving up, going to build my own connector as originally planned. Important milestone reached, though :D

For me pins seem to work (no speakers connected, but mp3s are obviously playing according to the display) as follows, as seen from the back of the unit. No guarantees, use at your own risk, etc.:

Code: Select all
o  Mitsumi  G

R   o   W   o

o   O   o

B   o   o   o

where
BRGW = black/red/green/white (ground/+5V/D+/D-) from standard usb extension cord
o is unused pins (in this use-case)
O is the mechanical guide for the connector

Hi All,

Sorry to rekindle an old thread like this, but I was wondering how the 'home made' cable is going? Does it work similarly to the official part?

Got quoted $500 from the local dealer (Canberra) for the part, and I'm keen (but no that keen) to listen to my collection via USB.

Cheers

Adam
webbsimax

Car: Liberty GT Wagon MY10

Postby garthos » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:17 pm

The OEM cables do come up for sale from time to time online. After a couple weeks of searching, one finally popped up on Gumtree brand new $200 that I grabbed and fitted myself pretty easily. Retail price is a complete rip off.
garthos
-stickered-

Postby nytrojen » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:22 pm

garthos wrote:The OEM cables do come up for sale from time to time online. After a couple weeks of searching, one finally popped up on Gumtree brand new $200 that I grabbed and fitted myself pretty easily. Retail price is a complete rip off.

Damn... man if you see another one, let me know! Or sell me yours :D
nytrojen
-stickered-

Postby garthos » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:31 pm

nytrojen wrote:
garthos wrote:The OEM cables do come up for sale from time to time online. After a couple weeks of searching, one finally popped up on Gumtree brand new $200 that I grabbed and fitted myself pretty easily. Retail price is a complete rip off.

Damn... man if you see another one, let me know! Or sell me yours :D

Haha. Not parting with my cable ever - life is so much better with HU ipod integration lol
garthos
-stickered-

Postby garthos » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:34 pm

But if you wanted to buy my tow bar for $600 I'd be happy to throw it in for free :lol:
garthos
-stickered-

Postby nytrojen » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:50 pm

garthos wrote:But if you wanted to buy my tow bar for $600 I'd be happy to throw it in for free :lol:

LOL. Might almost be worth it... kill two birds with one stone :roll:
nytrojen
-stickered-

Postby a_guy73 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:51 pm

I find it incredible that a cable (a small length of plastic/metal/copper) is more expenisive than the device it supports- the Ipod with all of the ram, cpu, lcd, screen, battery, engineeering and the Apple sticker price comes across as a bargain. I'm also on the hunt for a reasonable solution for Usb/ ipod connectivity.
a_guy73

Car: Liberty 3.6R

Postby Malibr » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:04 pm

Hi Garth,

Which one did you install; the Genuine Subaru Ipod Cable Part # H0018AJ900 or Genuine Subaru USB Adapter Cable Part # H0018AJ901.

I was wondering did you loose the RCA AUX input functionality?

Thanks in advance.
Malibr

Car: 2011 Liberty GT Premium 6sp Wagon

PreviousNext

Return to Audio options