Sony XNV-770BT - Double Din Install LGT-B MY07 6MT Wagon

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Sony XNV-770BT - Double Din Install LGT-B MY07 6MT Wagon

Postby gfennessy » Sun May 29, 2011 12:43 pm

I have just replaced my stock McIntosh CD/Radio and installed the Sony XNV-770BT into my Gen4 MY06 Liberty GT-B Wagon. Here is a breakdown of the process and some of the problems I faced - hopefully I can help someone, and someone can help me with the issues I still have.

Despite the McIntosh being a pretty good stereo, I decided to replace the unit because, being a Kiwi :oops: new to Melbourne, I wanted to have Nav built-in, and wanted to use Bluetooth and aux-in for my iPhone, so I can use my phone and listen to podcasts whilst I am on my way to work. There were three issues that I had to consider.

(1) There is currently NO TomTom Australia map available for this unit. I am hoping this will change... in fact a little birdy told me this may be in the wings in the very near future, so watch this space.

(2) I would have to get a replacement fascia / climate unit - this cost about $400. A bit expensive, yes, but now I've done it, I can tell you it was money well worth spending. Thanks to PhatGT who delivered on time!

(3) I would either wire the Headunit directly up to the speakers or use the existing McIntosh amp (located under the passenger seat). I decided to use the existing amp - and there are pros and cons to either.

The installation was relatively straightforward, thanks to some helpful advice on the forums - thank you! There is - however, not a lot of information, and some misinformation :angry2:, on the wiring of my specific Liberty. Hopefully, I can clarify the wiring and help anyone else installing a double-din unit into the MY06 Liberty GT-B. I will post information below.

Here is the original unit...
DSCF6418.JPG
Original McIntosh Headunit and Climate Control
DSCF6418.JPG (58.76 KiB) Viewed 25075 times

And here is the finished product...
DSCF0116.JPG
Sony XNV-770BT Installed
DSCF0116.JPG (154.21 KiB) Viewed 25074 times

DSCF0117.JPG
Sony XNV-770BT - Startup
DSCF0117.JPG (150 KiB) Viewed 25075 times

DSCF0118.JPG
Sony XNV-770BT - RDS Radio
DSCF0118.JPG (112.82 KiB) Viewed 25074 times
Last edited by gfennessy on Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:13 pm, edited 9 times in total.
gfennessy

Car: 07 Liberty 4Gen MY07 GT-B

Sony XNV-770BT - Double Din Install: 2006 6MT GT-B Wagon

Postby gfennessy » Sun May 29, 2011 12:44 pm

The Liberty came with the standard McIntosh headunit and integrated climate control. This - in turn - connects to the McIntosh Amp. I am not sure of my exact model, but it is similar to the McIntosh EF12591-A. It is NOT the EF-1080I. The Amp then powers FR, FL, RR, RL, Sub and CENTRE speakers (i.e. 5.1).

Interestingly, I cannot find any information on the wiring of this specific unit. Most info says that the Centre output is produced within the unit, via a crossover. This is NOT correct. This amp HAS a centre input. The cable has a proprietary plug (referred to as J101 in the photo) - which is a round 20-pin plug - hard to find!

Note, in the following photos, the orientation has changed. In the top photo, the "key" (pin 21) is at the top, in the second photo, pin 21 is on the bottom, in the schematic, 21 is on the RHS. Sorry :oops:

DSCF0111.JPG
Male Plug, Pin Side (actually upside down!)
DSCF0111.JPG (98.99 KiB) Viewed 25072 times

DSCF0110.JPG
Male Plug, Wire Side (right side up)
DSCF0110.JPG (178.04 KiB) Viewed 25072 times

mcintoshampschematicpg2hk5.jpg
20 Pin Plug - Schematic (for pin numbering only! refer below for actual pin supply)
mcintoshampschematicpg2hk5.jpg (17.6 KiB) Viewed 25072 times

Looking from the WIRE side of the MALE plug, here are the pinouts.
Top row
1 = Woofer (-) = Dk Green
2 = Woofer (+) = Dk Blue
3 = Shield/Gnd = Open (covered in black heatshrink in my photo)
2nd Row
4 = Front Right (-) = Lt Green
5 = Front Right (+) = Orange
6 = Shield/Gnd = Open (covered in black heatshrink in my photo)
7 = Rear Left (-) = Red
8 = Rear Left (+) = Yellow
3rd Row
9 = Not used
10 = Not used
11 = Shield/Gnd = Open (covered in black heatshrink in my photo)
12 = Centre (-) = Brown
13 = Centre (+) = Grey
4th Row
14 = Front Left (-) = Black
15 = Front Left (+) = White
16 = Amp Remote Turn On = Lt Blue
17 = Rear Right (-) = Purple/Violet
18 = Rear Right (+) = Pink
5th row
19 = Not used
20 = Not used
21 (Casing) = Shield

The Sony XNV-770BT has 2 options for audio output. (1) Standard FL, FR, RL, RR speakers (4 channels only) or (2) Female RCA pre-amp outputs - FL, FR, RL, RR and Sub (i.e. 4.1).

So, I had 3 choices.

(1) Remove the McIntosh amp from the circuit, and wire the speakers directly into the stereo - This would involve me re-routing the Speaker cable from the AMP under the passenger seat to the Headunit. I wasn't too sure how long the cable was, so I wasn't too keen to do that, although, I'm sure it would reach. But that would also mean I would have to get a separate amp just for the Subwoofer, AND I would have to figure out how to wire the centre/front speaker!

(2) Or I could buy a McIntosh J101 plug (don't know where to start! Jaycar just laughed at me!) and wire RCA male plugs to each of the McIntosh J101 terminals. Not ideal, as it would be fiddly and would involve 2 more connections in the circuit. And I wanted to do it all in a day!

(3) The third option - the one I chose (for now) - was to cut the 20 pin cable and wire RCA plugs to the appropriate leads. This gave me 5 RCA male plugs - FR, FL, RR, RL and Sub. However, I had to figure out what to do with the AMP Remote and Ground leads, and these two spare wires (which, as it turned out, served the Centre speaker!). The Amp Remote and Ground - I combined into One Male RCA cable - simple!

So the trick was finding a Centre output (5.1) from a non-centre output (4.1) stereo. So I used a technique that my dad taught me when I was about 8 years old. I connected the CENTRE speaker leads to the RR (+) and RL (+)! This gives you the DIFFERENCE between the two stereo channels - basically it is all mid and treble (bass is usually mono). I chose Rear instead of Front for no particular reason... (have since changed this to front - to make sure that the balance is better)

Anyway - it all sounds great. There is no hiss, crackle or static and the sound is fab!
Last edited by gfennessy on Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:19 pm, edited 8 times in total.
gfennessy

Postby gfennessy » Sun May 29, 2011 12:45 pm

Now for wiring the unit up proper! Well, that was about 6 hours of Google and downloading PDFs and banging against brick walls. :comando:

There is the not-so "standard" 14 pin connector on the back of the old unit. The only semi-accurate information I could find was on a Legacy Plug. But I downloaded all the Legacy / Liberty Gen4 wiring manuals I could find and finally made sense of it all.

Here is the 14 pin plug...
DSCF0114.JPG
Subaru Liberty Female 14 pin audio connector: Pin side
DSCF0114.JPG (128.91 KiB) Viewed 25071 times

And the wire side...
DSCF0112.JPG
Subaru Liberty Female 14 pin audio connector: Wire side
DSCF0112.JPG (162.45 KiB) Viewed 25071 times

This is what I have figured out. From the wire side, the top row is numbered RIGHT to LEFT, 1 thru 6, the bottom row is numbered RIGHT to LEFT, 7 thru 14.

1 = Violet = illumination (+)
2 = Green = 12v + Accessory
3 = Violet/White stripe = Satellite/Remote
4 = spare
5 = spare
6 = Blue/Red stripe = 12v (+) Constant
7 = Black/white stripe = illumination negative via dimmer
8 = spare
9 = Orange/White stripe = Satellite/Remote
10 = Yellow/Red stripe = 12v (+) Accessory
11 = Black = Ground
12 = spare
13 = spare
14 = Yellow/Black stripe = Remote antenna power

Unfortunately whilst I was removing my old unit, I somehow shorted the 12v constant (Blue/Red) and blew a fuse. This caused me some pain as I was sure the wire supplied constant 12 volts! I had a hair pulling 2 hours trying to find the fuse - which involved removing EVERY SINGLE fuse in the interior fusebox as well as the Main Fuse box. :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: .

Or so I thought...

The only fuse I didn't pull out was one entitled "Backup" - a 20 Amp blade in the main fuse box. Silly me - I assumed "Backup" meant "Spare"...

So, all I need to connect now is the following:

SATELLITE Switch wires
SPEED SIGNAL wire
REVERSE signal wire

...and i'm scratching my head...
Last edited by gfennessy on Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:03 pm, edited 6 times in total.
gfennessy

Postby gfennessy » Sun May 29, 2011 12:45 pm

Next was all the bits and pieces...

(1) Mic - this was placed on the upper right pillar in front of my head - with some double sided foam. The extra long wire was run down the pillar, under the steering column and directly to the unit, completely hidden.

(2) GPS antenna - was placed in the middle of the dash (under the dash), just to the left of the centre speaker. I had to use extra tape to keep this in place, as the pad supplied wasn't sticky enough. I'll let you know how it works when TomTom provides Australia maps... :clapping: :read: . The GPS module (which stores the map) was placed above the passenger feet - hidden and undamageable - you could put it in the glovebox too.

(3) Rear view camera - yet to arrive from DealExtreme. I also have to connect the Reverse Signal line. I understand this is a BROWN/YELLOW Stripe wire - In fact I believe there is a junction/plug within the steering column which provides this... Yet to find it though. ***Addit - found it - see below***

(4) Aux In - This was a simple attachment of 2 Male RCA plugs to the AUX wire loom. The Wire loom comes from the centre armrest, and has 5 wires. Red, White, Black, Green and Yellow. The Black is Common, Red and White are Left and Right!. (The Green and Yellow can be snipped, as they simply provide Aux On/off signal)

(5) iPod / iPhone connector - this could be placed anywhere - glovebox, centre console etc. I chose to place it through an existing hole in the upper cubby hole. There I can plug it directly into my iPhone, charge it, and mount it! Not 100% sure this is where I want it is easy to be changed...

(6) Satellite (Steering) Control - once I figure out the wiring and get the Metra Axxess mod unit I'll have to take it apart again and connect up.
21GWx27EsOL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Metra Axxess Remote Interface
21GWx27EsOL._SL500_AA300_.jpg (8.25 KiB) Viewed 25070 times
***Addit - see below**
Last edited by gfennessy on Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:09 pm, edited 7 times in total.
gfennessy

Sony XNV-770BT - Double Din Install - Satellite Control

Postby gfennessy » Sun May 29, 2011 1:15 pm

Ok, so now to install the satellite/steering control interface. My Liberty has 2 wires from the satellite switches, which are essentially connected to a series of resistors. The two wires needed are the Orange/White and the Violet/White (as above).

satellite.jpg
Satellite switch wiring - similar to above
satellite.jpg (16.02 KiB) Viewed 24951 times

The AXXESS universal steering control box is a nice unit at a nice price - about $35 AUD. Forgot to get a pic of the unit, but its about the size of 2 matchboxes, and has an LED, a reset button and a USB interface if needed.

DSCF0144.JPG
AXXESS ASWC
DSCF0144.JPG (38.25 KiB) Viewed 24951 times

Installation was straightforward - it comes with a manual which has virtually every car make and model listed... although I had to extrapolate the wiring from the Subaru Legacy - they didn't have Liberty. The connections to Gnd and +12V ACC were simple. Then I needed to connect the Violet/White (from the Subaru) to the Grey/Red (the AXXESS control box). Finally, I tied the Orange/White (Subaru) to the White/Green (AXXESS) which were both tied to ground.

The box recognised the Subaru and the Sony straight away, and Presto - Steering Wheel Controls all sorted... :P

One annoying feature which I have heard is common in all Sony units - someone might correct me - is that when you press the up or down arrow on the TUNER, the tuner seeks up or down - it doesn't go to the next preset... Ah Sony... so close...

Special thanks to IX9 below - gave me a heads up on this... TY!
Last edited by gfennessy on Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.
gfennessy

Re: Sony XNV-770BT - Rear View Camera: 2006 6MT GT-B Wagon

Postby gfennessy » Sun May 29, 2011 2:20 pm

Rear View / Reverse Camera Install

My rear view camera arrived from DealExtreme! About $20, free delivery, IP66 rated (waterproof), long video cable, and IR night vision LEDs.

The install was ok - although the cable was ONLY JUST long enough. I decided to mount it on the tailgate, above the licence plate just next to the licence plate light, instead of under the bumper - as the towbar was in the line of vision.

DSCF0139.JPG
No comments about the NZ sticker please!
DSCF0139.JPG (79.2 KiB) Viewed 24950 times
DSCF0140.JPG
Hardly noticeable and colour matched :)
DSCF0140.JPG (74.8 KiB) Viewed 24950 times

The hardest part was getting the cable from the outside of the tailgate thru to the inside to connect to the +12v from the reverse light (to power the camera). It required a bit of levering and undoing a few bolts, the cables passed through eventually in the hole where the actual reverse lights sit. I am sure there must be an easier through-hole elsewhere but I couldn't find it. I connected the +12v and ground to the Reverse Light cables. The "Reverse +12v" is Brown/Yellow, and the ground is the other one... (can't remember LOL). There is no noticeable drop in the reverse light intensity with the camera wired in parallel.

The video cable ran through the upholstery, tucked under the trim on the passenger side of the vehicle, and under the passenger footwell up to the centre console.
DSCF0131.JPG
LHS tailgate - trim removed
DSCF0131.JPG (66.05 KiB) Viewed 24950 times

DSCF0132.JPG
LHS rear pillar - trim removed
DSCF0132.JPG (41.72 KiB) Viewed 24950 times

Whilst I was there I found the Antenna Amplifier... Pictured here, it is hidden under the centre top rear trim. It is here that the Yellow/Black cable mentioned above runs to (although here it is Black/Red).

DSCF0130.JPG
Antenna Amplifier - top rear trim
DSCF0130.JPG (47.65 KiB) Viewed 24950 times

Anyway, the colour picture is fantastic in day or night, and all I need to do now is adjust the markers to where I want them.

DSCF0142.JPG
Colour Vision in Reverse!
DSCF0142.JPG (66.05 KiB) Viewed 24950 times

The only two gripes I have about the camera is that there are reverse markers already on the video image - before the camera reaches the headunit. The other gripe is that there is a fingerprint (?!?!) on the inside of the camera lens... But I can't notice it on the headunit, so I'm not worried
Last edited by gfennessy on Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:14 am, edited 5 times in total.
gfennessy

Re: Sony XNV-770BT - Reverse Signal - Liberty GTB

Postby gfennessy » Sun May 29, 2011 2:33 pm

Reverse Signal - Where is that wire?? And the vehicle speed signal (VSS)? And the parking brake signal? There must be a plug somewhere...

So I had a long look through the wiring PDF for a Gen IV LEGACY (does anyone have the wiring diagram for a MY06 Liberty??), and lots of internet searching...

FINALLY - I found a plug that did all this... I guess its probably a wiring loom just for a Nav unit. It's behind the drivers-side fusebox, tied up out of the way, requiring the removal of several pop-pins to access. You have to remove the drivers footwell fascia, and look halfway between the fusebox and the accellerator pedal.

DSCF0135.JPG
Behind this fuse box
DSCF0135.JPG (59.1 KiB) Viewed 24950 times

It's the white plug here.
DSCF0138.JPG
Is this the Nav Plug?
DSCF0138.JPG (58.77 KiB) Viewed 24950 times

Although it has 15 pins, only 8 of them are connected. There is definitely a ground and several +12v lines. The Brown/Yellow I tapped into for the reverse signal. There is also a parking brake signal line (I think it is grey) - although I have bypassed the parking brake video lockout by connecting it to ground.

Now here is where I am stuck. I BET that one of these lines is the Vehicle Speed Signal (VSS)...

(Most of the research I have done suggests that the VSS is Green/Black, although somewhere along the line the system changed and the VSS wire is now PINK/GREEN. I have heard that I could also tap into it from the ABS control box under the passenger glovebox. There is no GREEN/BLACK wire in the ABS box but definitely a PINK/GREEN wire there. )

The question is - how do I measure it? How do I make sure its the right wire? Do I measure the Hertz (frequency) between the wire and ground? Do I measure the AC voltage between the wire and ground? Or, if someone could help me, just tell me where the wire is, or confirm that is correct...
:?: :?: :?:
Last edited by gfennessy on Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:17 am, edited 4 times in total.
gfennessy

Re: Sony XNV-770BT - TomTom Install LGT-B MY06 6MT Wagon

Postby gfennessy » Sun May 29, 2011 2:34 pm

TomTom GPS Unit

I cannot either confirm or deny that there is a TomTom Australia map available for the Sony XNV-770BT unit.

All I can say is that before, I only had the American maps and the TomTom was lost. But now I am found.

If there was a TomTom map available (I am not saying there is), the interface would be awesome, and the integration with the existing functions would be just as awesome.

...I'm just saying...
Last edited by gfennessy on Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
gfennessy

Re: Sony XNV-770BT - Double Din Install LGT-B MY06 6MT Wagon

Postby ix9 » Mon May 30, 2011 12:15 pm

Hopefully your SWC interface wires aren't as convoluted as my MY05 SpecB :( - See the link in my sig for my wiring diagram discoveries - hope it helps!
ix9

Car: Liberty

Re: Sony XNV-770BT - Sattelite Switch LGT-B MY06 6MT Wagon

Postby gfennessy » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:21 pm

ix9 wrote:Hopefully your SWC interface wires aren't as convoluted as my MY05 SpecB :( - See the link in my sig for my wiring diagram discoveries - hope it helps!

Yeah awesome - thanks a bunch for pointing me in the right direction! It looks like the drivers footwell is pretty standard amongst the Subi family...

Any ideas on the VSS wire? Pink/green? Signal type??
gfennessy

Postby gfennessy » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:39 pm

So - after owning the unit for a month or so, and installing all the accessories I wanted, here's the verdict

:assassin: :assassin: :assassin:
8.5/10
:assassin: :assassin: :assassin:

Pros...
Great stereo, great price, good touch screen, swipe controls (up and down, left and right), awesome iPhone integration with bluetooth or cable, iPhone charging, podcast play back all seamless. Bluetooth even displays remaining battery and signal strength. Voice control and voice dialling, steering wheel interface, reverse camera, hopefully with a great nav shortly... Sound is great with heaps of options to equalize and listening position etc. Bluetooth picks up phone IMMEDIATELY.

Cons... (and I'm being a little picky here)
RDS only displays station name, not track/artist, Main display is of radio frequency rather than station name (i mean who cares about the frequency), FM steps are odd numbered (i.e. 100.1, 100.3, 100.5...) which is ok in Australia, but maybe not elsewhere, AM frequency steps in groups of 10, DVD only plays back region 1 discs, No TomTom maps available - yet. Memory Dialling displays P1, P2, P3 etc instead of persons name, incoming call says "Withheld" if on bluetooth. I think a firmware upgrade would fix most of these issues.

Finishing touches...
I need them to release the TomTom maps for Australia... (did I mention that yet...??). I need to connect the VSS (Vehicle Speed Signal) for speed sensitive volume control - somebody... please... help... (UPDATE - ALL CONNECTED)

Hacks needed...
(1) DVD Multizone / Multiregion - or at least region 4
(2) AM frequency stepping change (for sport radio)
(3) Service menu - I believe this can be accessed through the remote when the unit is off, by pressing "451" or "452" or "453" or "454...
(4) Generic unlock codes - I have read that the codes "4357" or "5776" or "15898" or "11034" may do things. The first two I believe are generic unlock codes if you forget your lock code.
(5) Is there a TomTom Map already available???

Feel free to PM me...
Last edited by gfennessy on Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
gfennessy

Postby seanmau5 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:59 pm

Wow..

Nice post. I reckon it might have taken longer to narrate then actually do!!!

PS *LIKE* on the parking brake lockout :) I did that - but I find I don't even watch videos while on the go.. It's more for the 'pimp feel' right?!?!?
~ Team VW ~ Das Auto ~
seanmau5
-stickered-

Car: 2009 Volkswagen Passat CC V6
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13255

Re: Sony XNV-770BT - Reverse Signal - Liberty GTB

Postby SVXdc » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:16 am

gfennessy wrote:...
FINALLY - I found a plug that did all this [reverse, VSS, parking brake]
Now here is where I am stuck. I BET that one of these lines is the Vehicle Speed Signal (VSS)

That 15-pin connector is found in several models/years. It's apparently used by various OEM accessories (probably only available in Japan). I've compiled information in my post in this thread (see my post #23 there). Does that correspond to what you found in your Liberty?

The question is - how do I measure it? How do I make sure its the right wire? Do I measure the Hertz (frequency) between the wire and ground?

I've read that the signal is a +12V DC square wave, at 1 Hz per MPH (e.g., 30 MPH = 30 Hz). I don't know if yours will be scaled to KPH (I suspect not -- I'll bet they're all the same). An aftermarket HU should be able to adapt in any case. Let us know what you see.

Incidentally, I've posted information about the older Subaru McIntosh units here. Eventually I'll update it with info about the center channel.
1996 SVX L AWD <<>> Useful Subaru wiring info
SVXdc

Car: 1996 SVX L AWD

Re: Sony XNV-770BT - VSS Signal - Liberty GTB

Postby gfennessy » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:20 am

gfennessy wrote:Reverse Signal - Where is that wire?? And the vehicle speed signal (VSS)? And the parking brake signal? There must be a plug somewhere...

So I had a long look through the wiring PDF for a Gen IV LEGACY (does anyone have the wiring diagram for a MY06 Liberty??), and lots of internet searching...

FINALLY - I found a plug that did all this... I guess its probably a wiring loom just for a Nav unit. It's behind the drivers-side fusebox, tied up out of the way, requiring the removal of several pop-pins to access. You have to remove the drivers footwell fascia, and look halfway between the fusebox and the accellerator pedal.

The question is - how do I measure it? How do I make sure its the right wire? Do I measure the Hertz (frequency) between the wire and ground? Do I measure the AC voltage between the wire and ground? Or, if someone could help me, just tell me where the wire is, or confirm that is correct...
:?: :?: :?:

UPDATE

FOUND IT

In the Nav Plug mentioned above, there is a Green/Black wire. Thanks to some advice from SVXdc (Awesome suggestions!) (see above) using my multimeter, I measured the Hz. The frequency is directly proportional to my speed. Roughly 1 MPH = 1 Hz. So that's all tapped in and ready to go...
gfennessy

Re: Sony XNV-770BT - Double Din Install LGT-B MY07 6MT Wagon

Postby gfennessy » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:47 am

Gripes With Sony... (Hmmmm... I guess that's what you get when you import an American product into the Australian market...)

3 things: AM frequency steps in 10 rather than 9Mhz, FM steps in odd decimals (100.1, 100.3, 100.5 - not too much on an issue), and DVD Zone is Zone 1...

So I emailed them about this issue - they were good - to start.

Said "there is a little switch on the bottom of the unit, that will change the frequency steps". Duh - Oh brother!

I took the unit out again. Looked for a switch - No switch. Looked everywhere. May have undone a couple of screws and peered inside - no switches, no jumpers - NADA!

So I emailed Sony again - Whoops, they said - "we made a mistake - no switch... you need to take it to an auto-electrician"... NO WAY! "Oh, and by the way, you can't change the zone on this to zone 4!"...

Well, I'm not buying it! There must be a simple way to change the Zoning and AM frequency - it's probably software rather than hardware. Any thoughts anyone. I have the circuit diagram if that helps?
gfennessy

Next

Return to Audio options