MY08 Aux/iPod interface [K'wood/SatNav Ed.]

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

MY08 Aux/iPod interface [K'wood/SatNav Ed.]

Postby rickerty » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:29 pm

For all ya'll with the Kenwood SatNav.
I have been searching for a more advanced Auxiliary input rather than the recommended Subaru
Aux jack/cable and have come across this iPod Interface connection:
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertain ... /KCA-iP500

I don't want to get uber exited about this as I am unsure of the factory Kenwood unit model.
There is a cross reference table below to check compatibility but I can't be sure as I don't know the part number.
http://www.kenwood.com/i/kca-ip500/table/eng.html

Does anyone have any p/n or model details of the Head/Satnav unit to assist me in my plight?

Cheers ahead.
[MY08/Lib/ej25/5MT/Limited Ed./SatNav/TeamWagon!]
HKS | MOMO | HID/LED | BILSTEIN
rickerty
-stickered-

Car: MY08/LTD/EJ25/5MT/WAGON

Re: MY08 Aux/iPod interface [K'wood/SatNav Ed.]

Postby solongaudi » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:57 pm

Took me a bit of farting around to find it but its a Kenwood F2DA07MRHF2. Thanks for clueing me onto this, my mate did a similar thing with his VE Commodore so hopes up we can do the same thing.
solongaudi

Car: MY08 2.5i Manual Liberty

Postby rickerty » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:20 pm

By the sounds of it, you have the same car as mine with the same Satnav. So is F2DA07MRHF2 the model number for your unit?
rickerty
-stickered-

Postby solongaudi » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:26 pm

Yep, pulled the unit last night and took a lot of happy snaps so I can write up a how to.

Photos's here for the moment...

http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m637/Kenn_Melksham/My08%20Liberty%20AVN%20Removal/

Spent a LOT of hours (wife = pissed off) last night reserching on the net what that black plug is and it turns out that is a data bus for satellite radio add on module but can be used for two separate compatible add ons. On the US legacy's this is used for the sat radio reciver but it can also be adapted to use an aftermarket iPod control however I'm not sure if this works on the AUS model... Personally I hate apple but If i can adapt this to read say, a 32gb USB card or to integrate with my nokia I'd be ecstatic... And hey even if i can't do that but the ipod control works, I could be convinced to buy an iPod purely for the car (not Iphone though, my n900 craps all over the iphone4). It can also be used to add an external CD Stacker (IE bus 1 sat nav, bus 2 cd-changer in US configuration fully optioned from the factory).

http://pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=916&CategoryID=36

I also noticed that the WRX Sat NAV (earmarked as the Media Center :lol: ) in the MY10 and MY11's is IDENTICAL to ours, only difference being is ours has the television and H/U as separate devices where as the one at the top of the following page is an all-in-one. But anything that is compatible with that model will also plug into ours (I'm gonna have a very interesting talk to the spare parts dept at my local dealership on monday who told me none of this was possible because it wasn't in his little book for the MY08). I guess if they released it all in one go people wouldn't have any reason to purchase the newer model. But I have seen people in the states install this into MY08 Legacys and it works, I'm pretty sure its available in Australia.

See http://www.subaru.com/engineering/electronics-audio/media-hub.html

Oh another thing that may intrest you... adding a reverse camera is a simple as plugging it into the spare 8 pin white port on the back, must be NTSC but it as soon as its plugged in the system detects it and engages teh camera when in reverse... niftey add on Subaru Aus failed to mention... I'm getting an adaption plug made up in Canada at the moment so I can plug a good old RCA output camera into it :D

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f77/factory-reverse-camera-input-navi-51351/

You'll notice the all-in-one AVN that I was reffering to earlier in the picture of the forrester... the screen folds down to insert the DVD's.

Hope this gives some food for thought.

Oh and heres another one to whet your appetite of possibilies..

http://i47.tinypic.com/2zpmw5c.jpg

Yes.. that is line level sub out plus aux video in and out (ie, extra monitors in the read headrests for the kids!).. That is a Genuine Subaru part no too, perhaps not in AUS, but it is Subaru...
solongaudi

Postby rickerty » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:05 am

Great info mate! I can't believe I missed your reply. I've got a bit of reading to do by the looks of it.
Awesome finds! :D
rickerty
-stickered-

Postby claire6 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:01 pm

anyone know if genuine aux jack fits subaru satnav units?
claire6

Car: liberty gen3

Postby mihai » Sun May 01, 2011 1:35 am

claire6 wrote:anyone know if genuine aux jack fits subaru satnav units?

It does, if you get the one for the satnav unit. Otherwise if you already have one from a non-satnav edition Liberty, it can be installed with a bit of hardwiring. Rick can tell you all about that as I helped him figure out pins for when he wired his in.
[New: MY11 FPV F6 | Winter White | Pioneer DEX-P99RS | Alpine PDX-F6 | Alpine PDX-M12 | JL Audio 12W7-AE ]
[Old: MY07 2.0R | Urban Grey | 5 MT | 6000k HID | LED | Alpine IVA-W502E | Alpine PDX1.1000 | Alpine PDX4.150 | JL Audio 12W7v3 | Focal KRX2 ]
mihai

Car: MY07 Liberty 2.0R + MY11 FPV F6

Postby solongaudi » Thu May 05, 2011 4:29 pm

I am the MASTER of online research!!!

http://www.subaru.com/engineering/elect ... a-hub.html

Part# h621SXA300 and it IS compatible with the Limited edition facroty sat nav on the 08/09 Liberty.
solongaudi

Postby solongaudi » Thu May 05, 2011 4:32 pm

This one does

Part# H6210AG000

Cost about $125ish from Subaru Spare Parts...
solongaudi

Postby mihai » Thu May 05, 2011 7:19 pm

Sorry, but none of the two above work with the Limited Edition. The first post you posted, is NOT for the Gen IV Liberty.

The aux cable that cost $125 from Subaru (with the part number you gave) does not work with the Limited edition (well it does, but its not a simple plug and play).

I know this because I sold mine to Rickerty and it didn't work initially. Only worked after some research online and some hacking of the cable and certain connectors.
[New: MY11 FPV F6 | Winter White | Pioneer DEX-P99RS | Alpine PDX-F6 | Alpine PDX-M12 | JL Audio 12W7-AE ]
[Old: MY07 2.0R | Urban Grey | 5 MT | 6000k HID | LED | Alpine IVA-W502E | Alpine PDX1.1000 | Alpine PDX4.150 | JL Audio 12W7v3 | Focal KRX2 ]
mihai

Car: MY07 Liberty 2.0R + MY11 FPV F6

Postby solongaudi » Fri May 06, 2011 2:25 pm

mihai wrote:Sorry, but none of the two above work with the Limited Edition. The first post you posted, is NOT for the Gen IV Liberty.

The aux cable that cost $125 from Subaru (with the part number you gave) does not work with the Limited edition (well it does, but its not a simple plug and play).

I know this because I sold mine to Rickerty and it didn't work initially. Only worked after some research online and some hacking of the cable and certain connectors.

Ahh, yes, I'm not afraid to solder so I keep forgetting to mention such things... the H 6210AG000 gives you the socket that fits into the factory trim but I belive you need the H6210AG100 with some cut and joining to make it plug into the existing head unit. I'm useing the H6210AG100 and an RCA plate from Jaycar so I can have video in as well. This works but only if the signal is NTSC which for most media boxes is not a problem. Same with the reversing camera... Do you have an indication as to what modifactions are necessary to make the Ipod kit work. I do have a wiring pin out for the 20pin plug... I would have thought this would be a subaru standard...
solongaudi

Postby solongaudi » Fri May 06, 2011 2:28 pm

Also do you know if Steering Wheel switch 83154AG001 works with this AVN? I'm under the impression its 50/50, how ever I do know that the AVN uses a voltage sensor to detect the command, so getting it to work may be as simple as swapping out the resistors behind the buttons to the correct value... there is a "send and return"wire built into the 24 pin connector and from what I understand it is already wired all the way up to the steering collumn with the standard subaru plud, exactly for the purpose...
solongaudi

Postby rickerty » Fri May 06, 2011 9:17 pm

Rather than trying to match plugs and connectors you may find it easier to just cut off the plug (new part side) and pin into the existing harness.
I found it to make more sense that way & Michael was a great help with this.

I have to ask: If you are putting an RCA plate from Jaycar, why did you buy the Subaru part?

P.s. You can change the screen to Pal if you go into the maintenance/diagnostic menu. I have the manual if it's any help?
rickerty
-stickered-

Postby solongaudi » Fri May 06, 2011 10:23 pm

Ahh, I didn't actually purchase the subaru insert, I just know it exists as I made an enquirty about it when I bought the car. Then I did my research and realised this unit is capable of so much more. I just the purchased the breakout cable... Thats why I'm going the Jaycar option. I have the H6210AG100 on order from Waldonways part shop in the UK but it hasn't arrived yet...

Don't suppose you have the manual in PDF format??? :-D That WOULD be a great help, up until now I've just been going off the scraps I've found online.
solongaudi

Postby rickerty » Fri May 06, 2011 10:23 pm

rickerty
-stickered-

Next

Return to Audio options