Removal of the rear parcel shelf and stock sub

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Removal of the rear parcel shelf and stock sub

Postby The Sean » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:13 pm

G'Day Gents,

Look, I've tried to search and I can't find any info on removing the rear parcel shelf.

I need to get the stock sub out for repair, any help would be appreciated.

Mine's a MY05 3.0 RB sedan.

Thanks in adavnce.

TS
Now that I'm in North America, I'm greatly concerned about raised pick-up trucks and owners of wedge shaped vehicles. Seriously, not only do you have to be concerned about one hitting you in an accident, they stand a good chance of driving over you at the same time!
The Sean

Car: Want a '06-'09 F150 (When in Rome!)

Re: Removal of the rear parcel shelf and stock sub

Postby garbo41610 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:16 pm

Would like the info as well, there are some diagrams of the location of the clips on the trimming on opposedforces but that isn't much help.

Someone out there must have some photos of their sub replacement installs.

What's the problem with the sub mate? Depending on how much it costs to repair you might as well replace the sub with something decent.
Car(s): Steel Silver MY10 GT Wagon + 1985 Subaru Sherpa

Mods: (GT) HKS Panel Filter. The HKS I put in the MY10 is the same filter I took out of my MY05 GT. So yes, they do fit. Custom leather heel pad to minimise carpet wear in the drivers footwell. Slotted front rotors. (Sherpa) 14'' 6 Spoke mags, Chrome Gear Shift (sick!), Alloy Pedals (sicker!), new positive and negative battery terminals, Alpine cda-9827 H/U, JBL GT 6x9's boxed and mounted (sickest!), Kicker DS650.2 component speakers mounted in the footwells in flibreglass pods, Alpine MRP-F200 4 channel amp (4x40wRMS), Rebadged with hektik chrome eBay badges, STi stickers for more powaaaa, "leather" handbrake boot, recarpetted with grey/black car carpet from Bunnings, sick Clarke Rubber boot mat, polished and waxed.
garbo41610
-stickered-

Car: MY10 GT Wagon Steel Silver

Postby mihai » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:32 pm

The Sean wrote:G'Day Gents,

Look, I've tried to search and I can't find any info on removing the rear parcel shelf.

I need to get the stock sub out for repair, any help would be appreciated.

Mine's a MY05 3.0 RB sedan.

Thanks in adavnce.

TS

To remove the parcel shelf in the sedan you must remove your back seat. Pretty much lift the bench up and the back is held in by 4 bolts. Once the 4 bolts that hold the back are off, you can tilt it up and then you have to slide the whole back seat up to unclip it from the top mounts.

Once the back seat is out, you need to remove the pillar trim. You need a flat head screw driver as you need to insert it in between the groove where there will be a metal tab that must be pressed to release the pillar trim. Then it is held with clips.

Once the pillar trim is off, the parcel shelf is held down with 3 pop in things, but the pillar also holds it in at the sides where the glass meets the parcel shelf. The hard way is to remove the rest of the pillar trim (which requires removing air bag and stuff) but the way i did it was apply downward pressure on the parcel shelf at that point and upward pressure on the pillar trim (its kinda flexible and will work).

Once the parcel shelf is off, the removal of the sub is quite easy, held in by either 2 or 4 screws/bolts.

If you need any more information, it is all in the body section of the workshop manual hosted here.

Here are the pages required:

Rear Shelf Trim Removal: PDF Page 598 (EI-70)
Rear Quarter Trim Removal: PDF Page 591 (EI-63) (I only did steps 1 + 2, didnt bother removing the whole thing)
High Mount Stop Light Removal: PDF Page 303 (LI-33)
Rear Seat Removal: PDF Page 450 (SE-14)

Hope all this helps.
[New: MY11 FPV F6 | Winter White | Pioneer DEX-P99RS | Alpine PDX-F6 | Alpine PDX-M12 | JL Audio 12W7-AE ]
[Old: MY07 2.0R | Urban Grey | 5 MT | 6000k HID | LED | Alpine IVA-W502E | Alpine PDX1.1000 | Alpine PDX4.150 | JL Audio 12W7v3 | Focal KRX2 ]
mihai

Car: MY07 Liberty 2.0R + MY11 FPV F6

Postby The Sean » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:35 pm

Many Thanks Mick!

Yer, the sub sounds really distorted when a song with decent bass is played (Snoop Dogg sounds more like Snoop Bullfrog).

While it is distorting, it you touch the cone lightly, the extra blurrb goes away.

i'm going to try my luck tomorrow and see if that mostly useless extended warranty I got covers it, I'm doubtful.

Truthfully, I'd rather fix the normal stock arrangement as me and car audio is a slippery slope once I start and I'd rather spend $3000-$4000 on something else...or not spend it at all, it will be new territory for me :D
Now that I'm in North America, I'm greatly concerned about raised pick-up trucks and owners of wedge shaped vehicles. Seriously, not only do you have to be concerned about one hitting you in an accident, they stand a good chance of driving over you at the same time!
The Sean

Postby The Sean » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:37 pm

Actually Garbo, if you want to give it a crack, using mine as a test, let me know as I'm in Bondi
The Sean

Postby Eduardo Corrochio » Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:35 pm

Thanks Mihai. Your instructions were invaluable. On Sunday, was able to replace the cracked subwoofer with an 8“ Visaton. My in car music sounds great now. Thank you so much!
Eduardo Corrochio

Return to Audio options