Steering Wheel Audio Controls Thread.

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Steering Wheel Audio Controls Thread.

Postby Herpetology » Sun May 08, 2016 7:05 pm

Hello All,

I am trying to figure out how to link my steering wheel controls to my aftermarket double din head unit. I have asked the Facebook community (they have been more than helpful) but I thought I would try my luck here.

I own a 2007 2.5i Premium Subaru Liberty, it did come with steering wheel controls so I bought some and installed them to the steering wheel.

The head unit is a Kenwood Multimedia head unit, it came with an adapter that has three wires on the adapter that run into a 3.5mm headphone jack that is inserted into the back of the hard unit.

The three wires are as follows: Input 1, Input 2 and Steering Wheel Control Ground. These there wires are designed to connect to the wiring that goes the steering wheel controls. The head unit that has settings that allow you to assign commands from the signal it receives from these wires.

I believe I have located the wires I need to connect to via the wiring diagram of the service manual, they seem to be Orange with a White line it (OW) and Violent with a White line in it (VW).

I have tested these wires for ohms with a multimeter and voltage as well these two wires do not have current nor do they register any ohm readings once the buttons are pressed as they apparently should.

Could I be using the wrong wires for signal? Could my steering wheel controls be stuffed? Or have just been going about it wrong this whole time?
Herpetology

Car: 2006 GEN4 Liberty Premium

Re: Steering Wheel Audio Controls Thread.

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu May 19, 2016 12:09 am

It's an aftermarket Kenwood?
Chances are you need some sort of swc converter like an axxess unit to translate the swc inputs to something the hu can use...
Or google the forum: https://www.google.com.au/search?output ... +head+unit
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby Herpetology » Mon May 30, 2016 2:06 pm

Hey bigBADbenny,

All results point to a control unit which is cool.
But I want to be sure it isn't my steering wheel controls that are stuffed, is there away to test if there controls actually work?

Thanks, Jack.
Herpetology

Postby mihai » Mon May 30, 2016 4:54 pm

Put your old HU back in and see if everything works from the steering wheel.
[New: MY11 FPV F6 | Winter White | Pioneer DEX-P99RS | Alpine PDX-F6 | Alpine PDX-M12 | JL Audio 12W7-AE ]
[Old: MY07 2.0R | Urban Grey | 5 MT | 6000k HID | LED | Alpine IVA-W502E | Alpine PDX1.1000 | Alpine PDX4.150 | JL Audio 12W7v3 | Focal KRX2 ]
mihai

Car: MY07 Liberty 2.0R + MY11 FPV F6

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue May 31, 2016 9:40 am

Or just work out how the swc's send signals and test with a multimeter, usually resistance?
It's an oe part designed for millions of actuations, so failure is fairly unlikely, unless damaged eg by water.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby Herpetology » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:36 am

Sorry for the late reply,

Tested with a mulitmeter with the Orange White and Violet White wires there was no current or levels of resistance present.

I am going to have to find my old head unit now, god knows where it is lol
Herpetology

Postby Bsoons » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:25 am

when i installed a SWC unit in my car, (http://www.pac-audio.com/productDetails ... egoryID=29)
The wires i connected were O/W and V/W. I had the same concerns as you, i.e. there was no resistance or voltage present whilst its not plugged into anything.
I ended up trusting the wiring diagram that was supplied and its all working well.
This control unit enables you to have two functions per button, Short and long presses. Which helped out for me having a blue-tooth head unit but no call/answer/end buttons on the steering wheel.
Bsoons

Car: '08 JDM Legacy GT Wagon

Postby MadmanSean » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:18 am

Have you tried connecting as follows;

Kenwood Input 1 to Orange with a White line it (OW).
Kenwood steering wheel control Gnd to Violent with a White line in it (VW).

See what happens it may or may not work as different manufacturers use different resistance values.

In order to test the Wheel controls you connect your multi meter across Orange with a White line it (OW) and Violent with a White line in it (VW). When holding down the (any) button a resistance will be seen, the resistance seen will indicate if the controls are functioning or not.

It is not possible to measure Voltage across these two wires unless you have them plugged into a source as this is where the voltage comes from.

An aftermarket Steering wheel control adapter may be needed such as a Cat10F (Or similair) from JB Hifi.
Subaru ECU Unbricking, Unlocking and Bench Flashing/Recovery service! Check out SICK CHIPS @ https://www.facebook.com/SickChips/
http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=35489
If you'd like to say thank you feel free to Buy me a coffee https://www.buymeacoffee.com/sickchips
MadmanSean

Car: 2007 Libert GT SpecB wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=33793

Postby GTB25T » Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:51 pm

2008 Liberty GT-B sedan

Using the patch cable to connect the Sony XAV-AX5000 and removing the original Mac system.
Added a Kenwood mono amp and kenwood 8" sub plus Rear speakers are pioneer 3way. OE front speakers
Sound is incredible.

Next step add the reverse camera and steering wheel controls.

Sony is supposed to be the only brand that can directly wire without any additional module to the Steering wheel.

I have searched the wiring diagrams for audio but unable to find reference to steering wheel control.

Does anyone know which wires in the plug that plugged into the back of the Macintosh from the wiring harness are the input for control from the steering wheel?

Thanks.
GTB25T

Car: Lib GT-B Sedan, Lib tbSTI 08, Foz 15

Return to Audio options