Android HU and keep factory stereo

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Android HU and keep factory stereo

Postby BMCracer » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:01 pm

I like the factory stereo ( Black Macintosh with dual zone a/c ) and I want to keep it hooked up and used as the stereo. I'm also putting an android HU in, to use for everything except the stereo - maps, BtSsm, bluetooth phonecalls etc. It will also be able to have Apple Music app on it so I can have my music library on it. I've seen the Aerpro adaptor cables for putting in an aftermarket HU in the car so you don't have to rewire half the car. Is there such a cable so I can keep the factory stereo working, and also plug the new android HU in? so when I play music on that it'll come through the factory HU on the AUX IN and play on the factory speakers?

I have an FSL27 and a Berringer UCA222 ( the red one ) from my old Nexus install, so I could get the music from the new HU to the factory one that way, but that still leaves me trying to get power to the new HU nicely, not to mention the other wires labelled "Key1", "Key2", "Lamp contro", "Back", when I work out what they do / how they work, and "auto ant" ( won't need this cos no antenna ).
2007 NZ new 3.0 Spec B 5EAT wagon in Brilliant Silver 39D
BMCracer

Car: NZDM MY07 3.0R Spec B 5eat Wgn

Re: Android HU and keep factory stereo

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:10 pm

I’d source a shallow mount AA/AC mechless nav receiver, and mount it in a jdm 2din nav bezel.

The Alpine ilx-w650 is a decent candidate at around $500.
Use the pre out into the FSL27.

Btssm could be hosted on an android tv box and displayed via the AV input on the HU.

Or, there are android shallow mount units, they’re very affordable on alibaba, and iirc are available in Toyota 200mm wide that suits the nexus type 200x100mm jdm nav bezel.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby BMCracer » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:54 pm

I had a Nexus 7 in the car, in the correct bezel. It gave me no end of trouble, so I've ripped it out, and got this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000009 ... 4c4dmQ04e1 a couple of weeks ago. Have nearly finished mounting it in the bezel I had the Nexus in.

What I really want, if it exists, is a cable with a plug on one end to plug into the new android unit to power it, and the other end with a plug that can go in between the factory stereo and the loom that plugs into the factory stereo. So the plug would plug into the stereo, then the loom that normally plugs into the stereo would plug into the back of the new plug.

Or the correct bare plugs to achieve this and I can wire them up.
2007 NZ new 3.0 Spec B 5EAT wagon in Brilliant Silver 39D
BMCracer

Car: NZDM MY07 3.0R Spec B 5eat Wgn

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:24 am

Based on info in the stock nav retrofit pdf, you might find extra power looms taped up in the dash for your power tap.

Or use a fuse tap in ign2 in the cabin fuse box.

For audio using the stock McIntosh, there are at least a couple of options: a grom, a basic Suzuki type aux in using the CD changer plug or a diy or stock aux in adapter.

Let me know if you need links.

Iirc a Toyota 200mm wide shallow mount nav receiver would be a better fit for the nexus type jdm nav bezel. I’ve seen them online, definitely interested to see how this unit performs though, since I have a 2din jdm nav bezel awaiting a Nav receiver.

What are you doing for day/night dimming?
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Return to Audio options