Aftermarket headunit installation guide

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Re: Aftermarket headunit installation guide

Postby Tresidder17 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:35 pm

Glad you liked the guide mate. At least you got it working in the end haha

As for the reverse camera, I haven't looked to see if there is a "correct" power wire to use but splicing into the reverse globes is pretty standard practice, I think, so it should be perfectly fine.

Enjoy your headunit :D
Tresidder17

Car: MY07 3.0 Spec.B 5EAT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=35209

Postby Roomeat » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:16 am

Fantastic write up mate!
I sooo want to do this but I just can't bring myself to altering the car (07 tuned by sti)

May I ask....
Why did you stick with the original amp?
Roomeat

Car: 07 GTB Tuned By STI

Postby Tresidder17 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:17 pm

If you wanted to do this without cutting up your original parts you could buy another McIntosh HU for relatively cheap (possibly wreckers) and cut the din cable off of it for this project and keep your original headunit in working condition if you ever wanted to put it back. There's also a guy on the forums who makes the adapter for the non din cable wires (power, acc, etc.). So technically this could be done without cutting anything on your car.

I think the misconception some people have made with this is that its meant to be a total improvement to the audio system. I'm well aware that the audio system in the gen 4s is pretty bad in terms of audio quality and ideally I would replace the amp and all speakers to get some decent audio quality. The problem with that is I'm a student who doesn't really have the money for that. I can live with the current audio quality but not having basic features in the McIntosh headunit like bluetooth was a massive issue for me. More controversially, I also am not a huge fan of how the McIntosh looks and much prefer the cleaner look of a good quality screen taking up the space, it makes the car seem a lot more modern.
Tresidder17

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:42 pm

I’m going a different route for our 2.5i with the silver Clarion? hu.

Jdm 2din nav bezel, Kenwood DMX1025bt double din 6.8” nav receiver featuring 75mm shallow mounting depth, line out into Grom bt3 aux cable into the stock Clarion, stock everything else...

The shallow mount means it fits into the centre vent space without hitting the dash reinforcement...

Luckily I already have the 2din nav bezel...
No doubt Kenwood will release a version for wide 2din that will fit the 200x100mm jdm nav bezel...

The Kenwood is a new, 2019 release, composite video in and out, 800x480 res or so, USB mirroring and Androidauto & CarPlay maybe: basic but capable and affordable!

https://www.kenwood.com/au/car/visual_n ... dmx1025bt/

Paid $50 for the Grom, Kenwood is $350 or so.

Been waiting years for a decent spec, good looking, shallow mount receiver!!!

I like the stock look and can upgrade other items down the track :P

That would most likely be: sound deadened doors, Soundlabs 6” door speakers, lib door tweeters, and a polk in the stock sub location using a dedicated amp and line converter from eg the rear speakers.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby Tresidder17 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:33 am

Looks like that will be a good build and that new kenwood you are looking at is very clean. I'll be interested to see how it goes.
Tresidder17

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:18 pm

I’d been searching for ages, mostly gave up, then saw this unit on a FB lib group post.

Its well on the way to the all screen look I’m after :good:
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Previous

Return to Audio options