Reverse cameras

Stereos, amps, phone kits, Navi...

Re: Reverse cameras

Postby BMCracer » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:31 pm

Hi Tom. Good decision!! :D I only knew there was a factory camera because some on the second hand Jap Imports over here in NZ have it. Try finding one at a wreckers yard though.....

Obviously they were only fitted to cars that had the factory SatNav. Now, as it happens, I'm selling my wagon, because I'm moving back to Perth later this year. I"m going to look at an identical-to-mine car in Sydney this Friday, to buy and put on the train / truck to Perth. Anyway, it's an ADM Spec B wagon, and it's got the factory SatNav, but no reversing camera. So it's even more on my radar now, to get hold of a factory camera and try to get it working. Keep us updated of how you go, and I'll do the same, but be warned I'm sloooooooowwwww.
2007 NZ new 3.0 Spec B 5EAT wagon in Brilliant Silver 39D
BMCracer

Car: NZDM MY07 3.0R Spec B 5eat Wgn

Postby tom_kauf » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:15 am

Cool, hopefully we can work it out :).

I bought my SpecB Wagon from Perth (I live in QLD). I used Patrick Transport, who were good. Fairly inexpensive and more reputable than some dodgy cheap ones.

Yes, I have the factory Nav Screen but had to wire up the Reverse Camera myself. Instructions are floating around on the forum. So you'll have to do that as well, unless you get a factory wiring harness (assuming that even exists), instead of running some wiring yourself.

My camera arrived, and it looks like this one below. I haven't tried to fit it yet, and that could be a while before I get around to it as well lol.

Last edited by tom_kauf on Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Postby BMCracer » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:18 pm

Oh wow you found the camera!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where did you get it from? I haven't even been able to find the camera in a parts diagram, let alone the wiring loom for it. I looked up the part number off the pic you posted - not cheap!! I'm not worried about running cables, good excuse to pull all the trims and carpet and give the car a good cleaning / vacuuming.

These might help you with wiring up the new camera to the factory SatNav

https://car-solutions.com/en/cable-for- ... nitors.php

https://car-solutions.com/nfs/product/8 ... ram_EN.pdf

I didn't buy the car in Sydney, it needs too many things sorting out. Dash is wrecked too from the airbag recall work.............. So will most likely take my one over to Perth from Auckland with me. Factory SatNav in the Sydney car was pretty lame anyway, about the only useful thing it has over a non SatNav car is the maps, the other stuff ( gauges etc ) is basically what the dash tells you anyway, so a bit of a joke really. Nexus 7 will be light years better and with the Tactrix, give you useful information.
BMCracer

Postby tom_kauf » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:46 am

Yes, it should be the right one. Hopefully it physically fits :).

This is one of the links that shows a Part# for Gen4s (similar to what I posted a while ago, but this actually shows some Detailed Info). I'm not sure what the 6 different Camera Part#s are, but a Part Number ending in '110' has usually superseded any ending in '100' or '000', and the one ending '000' doesn't list GTs as the applicable version. I also bought some of those Washers it mentions (from a local supplier). Not sure if they're needed, but they were cheap. I didn't get the 'CAMERA CONTROL ASSEMBLY' though, so hopefully that's not needed if we've done the wiring to the Reverse Lights etc ourselves.
http://jp-carparts.com/subaru/partlist. ... fig_id=865

The exact Part# I got is: 86267AJ10A (the picture shows a number ending '10B', but that was just a sample picture I found while I was on my phone). It's different to what the link above shows for your cars (86267AG110), but I had no luck finding that Part - and it looks identical if you compare the diagrams.
Another one that comes up in places is 86267AJ100 , but that's REALLY expensive (Aus$500), so the I one I got for ~$US$170 is cheap in comparison lol.

I got it from https://www.subarupartsdeal.com/ . They had an Amazon listing, but it looks like you can order directly from their website (either 86267AJ10A or 86267AJ10B). There is also an Ebay listing open at the moment, if you google 86267AJ10B. And I used a freight forwarder (mailbox in the US), because their Amazon listing said they wouldn't ship to Aus.

Thanks for the info, that is pretty much what I had used to install the aftermarket camera. I now just need to find out which pins on the Factory Subaru Camera are for what.

Ah ok, probably a good decision to import your car. Exactly, I have the latest SatNav Disc, and still use my phone instead (the Nav Screen is cool, but not very useful). My dash was also wrecked by the dealer, but I used the current deteriorating-dash-issue (dashes becoming shiny and cracking, which Subaru has acknowledged) to get it replaced for free.
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby BMCracer » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:06 pm

Thanks for the info and links Tom. The only thing that makes me nervous is that they are all listed as being for 2009-2011 or 2010-2014, which are both Gen 5 cars.
BMCracer

Postby tom_kauf » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:41 pm

Yeah, I wish they were more common in Gen4s. Because of their rarity (basically only for JDM cars, and then only in the highest spec), so few sites list them. It looks like they became much more of a standard feature with Gen5s.

I'll see how mine goes. If it has standard power pins and standard NTSC video output (that the screen can display), we should be ok.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby HardwareBoB » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:34 pm

I installed my reverse camera, was a total pain in the bum to route the cable and do everything.

Full pictures here:
https://imgur.com/a/NNZsBIz
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby tom_kauf » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:33 pm

Thanks HardwareBoB. I had already installed mine, but an aftermarket one. So there shouldn't be any extra routing of cables, just getting this factory one working.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby BMCracer » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:40 am

Hey Tom, have you found time to install the factory reversing camera yet?
BMCracer

Postby tom_kauf » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:18 pm

BMCracer wrote:Hey Tom, have you found time to install the factory reversing camera yet?

No, unfortunately not :/. I wish I had made any progress, but I haven't been able to find out which 3 pins of the factory camera are power, ground and video.
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby tom_kauf » Tue May 14, 2019 12:08 am

What's holding me back from installing the Factory Camera (some pictures of the actual unit I have below), is finding out which pins/wires on the connector are which.
I don't want to fry this camera. There are 3 pins, so they must be Power, Ground, Video Signal.

If anyone comes across anything eg. on US Forums, that'd be a big help. I have not had any luck.
Maybe a wiring Diagram for a high-spec Gen5 or Forester (both seem to have reverse cameras as standard from about 2009).
Picture of a Forester with the camera is below.

Physically installing this should be easy - the wiring is already there from my aftermarket camera, and I've removed the bumper trim enough times that it's straightforward.

tom_kauf
-stickered-

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed May 15, 2019 6:12 am

You’d look it up in the relevant cars FSM...

Or...

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=8626 ... ent=safari

bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Previous

Return to Audio options