Dashboard flocking?

Body kits, seat covers, fluffy dice, and other non-performance mods.

Dashboard flocking?

Postby Kimmo » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:10 pm

The first thing I noticed about my dashboard is how damn sticky it is... seems like the rubbery plastic is breaking down. Is this typical of Gen4s? Or perhaps it's just this trim level...?

The next thing I noticed, mucking around replacing the cubby with a phone and having that centre part in and out a bit, was that I'd been inadvertently been taking little chunks out of it without noticing, except for the last time it happened, and it was from my fingernails, which I didn't even feel happening until that final time. I wondered HTF I'd managed to put all these little nicks in it, since I thought I was being super careful, dammit. This stuff has turned so damn fragile. I also noticed a small crack lower down on the passenger side, probably since it's an area that cops the most changes in sunlight...

Speaking of which, the glare blows. It's one of those things you just sort of take for granted and get used to, but the other day I was watching a Bad Obsession Motorsport vid (if you don't know about Project Binky, OMG), where dashboard flocking was mentioned, and that was it - now the glare is like one of those things I can't unsee.

So I'm sorta hoping that either the condition of my dash is unusual (maybe it was cleaned with the wrong stuff?), or that it's not hard to find the same dash at a wrecker's in a more durable material... cause I've had dashboards out before, and I figure my dash will look like junk after it's removed. Can any Gen4 owners tell me if my dash is weird or normal, and if there's a bolt-on alternative to this sticky goo thing?

I found a mob over in Dandenong who do this stuff; you can DIY it but I'd rather go pro here. Maybe they can just fill the damage and the glue/flock surface adds a tough enough skin to protect it...? I'll give em a ring when they're open, but I'm thinking my dash has, uh, done its dash.

/runs
Kimmo

Car: 07 GT-B

Re: Dashboard flocking?

Postby Yowie » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:22 pm

but I'm thinking my dash has, uh, done its dash.

:lol:
Yowie

Car: SH Forester XT

Postby Caution » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:56 pm

Standard.
I asked a subaru wrecker a few weeks ago when i was getting some other interior stuff and they where all too familiar with it + https://www.facebook.com/Subaru-Melting-Dashboard-Australia-464874687056289/

I don't know anything about trimming but i guess if you can remove the top black material without damaging the foam underneath a re-trim in a similar colour/texture or whatever you want would be the way to go. or maybe they can go straight over the top?.
That was my idea down the road anyway... until then i need to find a good dash-mat.

Keep us updated if you go that route. :good:
Caution

Car: MY08 GT-B

Postby Tonic » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:28 pm

Yeah well known problem. Both mine have failed. Ship fight to get it rectified for a car over 10 years old.
Flocking said sounds alright actually.
I have just used dash mats.... can’t see the problem so no problem....
Tonic

Car: 06 Liberty 3.0RB now 09 facelift

Postby Kimmo » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:56 pm

Hm. Just spoke to these guys: https://www.flockfinishersaustralia.com ... dashboard/

They said couple hundred bucks, sounds good
Kimmo

Postby Kimmo » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:59 am

Anybody had the dash out of a Gen4? Much of a mission? Any tips?
Kimmo

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:04 am

The procedure is in the FSM workshop manual, link in my signature.

Sticky dash is very common in Singapore, generally they get the dash retrimmed in leather or Alcantara.

I’d source iron on leather veneer and stretch that on.

If the dash isn’t too bad:
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:05 am

Sticky or cloudy dash

I used distilled water and a lint free cloth for both cloudy and sticky dash.

It may take a few applications to completely clear and stabilise.

I never ever use any product on the dash, other than distilled water on a lint free cloth.

The point is to get the dash to stabilise.
Water is a component of air, thus its the least harmful route to stabilising the dash as it naturally gasses out due to differing environmental conditions, eg primarily temperature and humidity.

Otherwise source a good dash from the self serve wreckers.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby Kimmo » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:30 pm

Kimmo

Postby nvmylh » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:44 am

Has anyone here ever seen or used this stuff?
Some fairly bold warnings about applying the coating over the airbag areas, I wonder how thick/strong this coating is or if thats just a liability thing? It does look reasonably thick from the video..

https://stickydashfix.com/
nvmylh

Car: '08-H6-Wagon

Postby mjr07gtbwagon » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:31 am

Guys, had a problem with my dash as well. but after the air bag recall ( dont get me started on that :angry2: :angry2: ) they cracked my dash. they refused to say it was them, so i found a thread on here that Subaru know there is a fault with the dash but wont do a recall.

BUT... if you tell them you know about the fault and ask for a replacement and push hard they have to replace it free. they wont be happy but i got a brand new dash and it didn't cost me a cent.

hope this helps.
mjr07gtbwagon

Car: 07 gtb wagon

Postby Shiv » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:51 pm

mjr07gtbwagon wrote:Guys, had a problem with my dash as well. but after the air bag recall ( dont get me started on that :angry2: :angry2: ) they cracked my dash. they refused to say it was them, so i found a thread on here that Subaru know there is a fault with the dash but wont do a recall.

BUT... if you tell them you know about the fault and ask for a replacement and push hard they have to replace it free. they wont be happy but i got a brand new dash and it didn't cost me a cent.

hope this helps.

Good to know, my local Subaru Dealer told me the same thing but I couldn't be bothered to follow up on it.

My dash is starting a deteriorate a little near the air vents so may follow this up.
MY08 'off-road spec' Outback 3.0R Premium -- 1"inch raised King Springs, 1"inch lifting blocks, SubaXtreme alloy front & rear bars, KIDO Tune, Valenti Style Tail Lights + much much more!
Shiv

Car: MY08 Outback 3.0R Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27335

Postby jp928 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:58 am

There was a facebook page on 'dashboard melting', but now it says the link is broken or its been taken down. Anybody know what happened there? I am now getting the run around about our cars being different from US cars etc, will have to pay for a fix. Visit to dealer is scheduled next week.
jp 08 gtb 6mt wagon
jp928

Car: 08 gtb 6mt wagon

Return to Cosmetics