Post-Facelift Momo Steering Wheel?

Body kits, seat covers, fluffy dice, and other non-performance mods.

Post-Facelift Momo Steering Wheel?

Postby Rutzlet » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:47 pm

Hey everyone,

I own a 2006 MY07 3.0R-B. She's done over 240,000 and the Momo steering wheel has lost pretty much all of its black gloss. I mean it. The left and right top quarters are rough and greyish/green in appearance.

Does anyone have any suggestions in regards to wheel replacement/refurbishment?
Rutzlet

Car: 3.0R-B Liberty

Re: Post-Facelift Momo Steering Wheel?

Postby 77T » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:28 pm

Simple. Get another one from wreckers.

I got one for $150 in vgc,theyre easy to find
77T

Car: MY05 Liberty 3.0R Sedan

Postby Rutzlet » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:27 pm

77T wrote:Simple. Get another one from wreckers.

I got one for $150 in vgc,theyre easy to find

Not so simple with a Spec B. Spec B wheels have additional controls for SI-Drive etc. The only one I can find in Melbourne from wreckers has no airbag.

Any other suggestions?
Rutzlet

Postby 77T » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:02 pm

Have you tried subaruheaven in Thomastown? I'm pretty sure they have it,without airbag though. You need to send them a pic or go there in person to confirm exact wheel, they're very hard to deal with :)
Also is anything wrong with your current airbag? If its fine then reuse it on replacement outer.
If you need the airbag as well, there's a subaru wrecker in sunshine with loads of the airbag centres
77T

Postby 77T » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:04 pm

Can you post a photo of yours,there's another wrecker that might have it too
77T

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:13 pm

STI steering wheel is a nice visual upgrade, I have one in my car that I can sell you for $200.
Might have a spare airbag cover if required too.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby 77T » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:15 pm

Its this one correct?

77T

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:29 pm

Looks like a PostFL Momo... Lhd/rhd same same...
bigBADbenny

Postby Rutzlet » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:54 am

77T wrote:Have you tried subaruheaven in Thomastown? I'm pretty sure they have it,without airbag though. You need to send them a pic or go there in person to confirm exact wheel, they're very hard to deal with :)
Also is anything wrong with your current airbag? If its fine then reuse it on replacement outer.
If you need the airbag as well, there's a subaru wrecker in sunshine with loads of the airbag centres

Hey mate,

Yeah you're right, I got in touch with them and they do have one with no airbag, I figured it might be a huge pain to replace the airbag but now that I've had a chat to a few more savvier car enthusiasts it seems like it's really not too much of a big deal to take the airbag from my current wheel and place it in a replacement wheel.

Sorry to keep asking questions but has anyone done a switch like this before?

77T wrote:Its this one correct?

Correct mate, that's the one.

bigBADbenny wrote:STI steering wheel is a nice visual upgrade, I have one in my car that I can sell you for $200.
Might have a spare airbag cover if required too.

Inboxed :)
Rutzlet

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:15 am

Removing the steering wheel and airbag is easy with a t30 iirc and the right socket for the big nut.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18971&hilit=Steering+wheel
But you'll need to follow the right procedure to keep the alignment and clock-spring intact and not break your nose ;)
Last edited by bigBADbenny on Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigBADbenny

Postby jiggabite » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:51 pm

I replaced my worn out momo wheel with one from a FL outback. It looks virtually identical and was able to transfer all the steering wheel controls and SI drive over.
Any of the FL liberty/outback wheels should fit. Same with some of the WRX wheels. It's a 20-30 minute job to replace everything.
jiggabite

Car: MY07 Liberty GTB Sedan Pearl White

Postby tom_kauf » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:39 pm

You have to remove the airbag anyway to replace the steering wheel (the airbag module comes off first, then the nut for the wheel is behind that). So buying one without an airbag is not a problem. It'll be cheaper and you don't really need another airbag anyway.

And yeah, it's not difficult and there are instruction videos online that'll guide you through it. Let me know if you'd like the links to them.

EDIT: And all the buttons incl SI-Drive transfer over to your new wheel anyway (they're just held on by a few screws), so even a non-SpecB wheel will work fine. You just keep your original buttons.
When I bought my pretty expensive D-shaped steering wheel from DAMD, it only came with the wheel itself, nothing else. So those people like me spend $600-700 on a wheel but have to transfer everything else. Doesn't come with buttons or airbag or shroud. But with the wheel removed, they're all easily swapable.
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Postby Rutzlet » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:40 pm

Cheers everyone for all the assistance, I'll be making a purchase in the coming days and will maybe have some questions once I get round to physically switching the two wheels.

tom_kauf wrote:You have to remove the airbag anyway to replace the steering wheel (the airbag module comes off first, then the nut for the wheel is behind that). So buying one without an airbag is not a problem. It'll be cheaper and you don't really need another airbag anyway.

And yeah, it's not difficult and there are instruction videos online that'll guide you through it. Let me know if you'd like the links to them.

EDIT: And all the buttons incl SI-Drive transfer over to your new wheel anyway (they're just held on by a few screws), so even a non-SpecB wheel will work fine. You just keep your original buttons.
When I bought my pretty expensive D-shaped steering wheel from DAMD, it only came with the wheel itself, nothing else. So those people like me spend $600-700 on a wheel but have to transfer everything else. Doesn't come with buttons or airbag or shroud. But with the wheel removed, they're all easily swapable.

Yeah man if you could link me a tutorial I'd really appreciate that.
Rutzlet

Postby tom_kauf » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:07 pm

No problem. This is the one I used. It covers transferring all controls to an aftermarket wheel, but the steps are exactly the same for replacing a stock wheel (a bit easier actually):

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8AULFWUq-V4
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:31 am

Btw I linked my install a few posts up...

The key points are: disconnect battery neg, centre wheel and run masking tape strips from rear sw cover to upper column surround and cut at the junction to make realignment easier on reinstall, loosen main nut but leave it on whilst gently hammering the 9 & 3 o'clock areas on the wheel with your fists to release it from the column end splines, and do not wind the clock spring ever: I use a piece of masking tape to keep it in place.

Also the airbag plugs need to be unlatched before removing them.
I applied Resomat to various parts of the interior covers to dampen any buzzing noises in the assy. :)
bigBADbenny

Next

Return to Cosmetics