Gen 4 Pre-facelift wing part problems.

Body kits, seat covers, fluffy dice, and other non-performance mods.

Gen 4 Pre-facelift wing part problems.

Postby art_fanatic » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:43 am

I was getting some work done by a body detailer and decided it was time to respray the rear wing that had been sundamaged. The part sits just above the rear window and has a taillight strip in it. My car is a 2004 MY05 Gen4 2.5 wagon. I thought it would be a cheap and easy job - I was very wrong :(

The detailer said the part was really brittle and broke as he was taking it off... not too sure about the legitimacy of that but ok. All the other work was finished a week ago, yet the supplier keeps sending the wrong replacement part in. The part seems to line up in the middle with the roofline but the side contours (where the roof rack struts lay) are too high and the boot can't be opened fully without them pressing on the roof.

The supplier has sent 3 parts, each of them wrong - we are now onto the fourth. They claim that they are simply sending the part that is associated with my VIN number. Also worth a mention that the courier has twice sent parts to the wrong address (round the corner) and that body shop happily signed it and then immediately returned it without even letting my guy know his part had been delivered to the wrong address and to come pick it up, wasting more of everyones time.

The supplier thinks the problem is that my car might be a Gen3 which is totally crazy because the design differences between the two generations are so easy to tell apart, really not happy with their approach to the problem. I believe the problem may lay in the facelift changes, where the body was changed slightly for the 2007 Gen4's, but the detailer is not even acknowledging my idea? Not even sure he understands there was a design change? Although I am also wondering if there were subtle body differences between the three main versions of the Gen4 liberty (2.0, 2.5, 2.0T).

So Im wondering if anyone with more experience could please suggest possible answers or shed even abit of light as to what is going on? That would be very appreciated cheers :)
art_fanatic

Car: 2004 Liberty 2.5 Wagon MY05

Re: Gen 4 Pre-facelift wing part problems.

Postby alexeiwoody » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:44 am

Post a photo of your car and wing please.
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby art_fanatic » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:05 pm

alexeiwoody wrote:Post a photo of your car and wing please.

Sorry I should have thought of that! As the car is still at the shop, here is a photo of my car and two of the old spoiler that I have found on my computer (cropped to show)
Attachments
IMG_5622.JPG
IMG_5622.JPG (242.66 KiB) Viewed 3606 times
IMG_5570.JPG
IMG_5570.JPG (177.03 KiB) Viewed 3606 times
IMG_2103.JPG
IMG_2103.JPG (236.62 KiB) Viewed 3606 times
art_fanatic

Car: 2004 Liberty 2.5 Wagon MY05

Postby Manaz » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:26 pm

art_fanatic wrote:The supplier thinks the problem is that my car might be a Gen3 which is totally crazy because the design differences between the two generations are so easy to tell apart, really not happy with their approach to the problem.

Your VIN will clearly tell them which generation the car is. Based on your photos, it will start with JF1BP9 or similar - if it were a 3Gen, it would be JF1BPE or similar (for sedans, you replace BP with BL in both instances).

They may be supplying a sedan (BL9) part rather than a wagon (BP9) part perhaps? Irrespective, if you've given them the VIN, that's their mistake, not yours.

The supplier is an idiot. Find another supplier.
Manaz

Car: MY09 Liberty GT Spec.B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22465

Return to Cosmetics