Assistance with wheels.

Body kits, seat covers, fluffy dice, and other non-performance mods.

Assistance with wheels.

Postby Ephemera » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:53 pm

Before I start, just note that if this is in the wrong topic, please move it over. I thought this was probably the most accurate for this question.
As it stands, I'm still paying off my '06 Subaru 3.0l Liberty, & wanted a bit of assistance in terms of opinion & what looks best. As much as I like bigger wheels, such as the 19", I think 18" is probably best suited to my car. I'm having a real tough time on what looks good, & as much as I can sort of photoshop to get an idea, it doesn't work.

What makes it hard in my opinion, is that I have an urban grey paint, so I don't see black working unless it were to be against a black or white paint. If anyone has some recommendations on what I could put on my car, I'd be most thankful. I really want to look at a wide range of wheels. I've got about 2 months to decide anyway. :)

Cheers!

rsz_20151029_123647.jpg
rsz_20151029_123647.jpg (216.87 KiB) Viewed 3194 times
Ephemera

Car: 06 Subaru Liberty 3.0R

Re: Assistance with wheels.

Postby shav » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:11 pm

Hi Brock, welcome to the forums. Have you checked out this thread yet? viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5633

Basically, wheels are a personal choice. The question you need to ask yourself is, what is my budget? what do I want to pay when it comes to tyres? Am I looking for better handling or just better looks? Do I want to muck about with modifying guards? How much am I prepared to over spend if I cant find something I like?

What color looks great to some, looks average to others. You need to find wheels that YOU like, not what everyone here thinks you like. Making sure you get the right size wheel with correct offset and to ensure tyres are affordable, is the best way to move forward. Lots of guys here have spent hours if not days researching over the many different options out there. So be prepared in spending some time working out what offset is best, what tyre size is best to fit without scrubbing, what is the best BFYB tyre, and what colors the wheels come in.

That said, popular choices are:

Ultrex wheels
Rota Wheels
Koya Wheels
Enkei Wheels
Rays Wheels
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby Ephemera » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:01 pm

shav wrote:Hi Brock, welcome to the forums. Have you checked out this thread yet? viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5633

Basically, wheels are a personal choice. The question you need to ask yourself is, what is my budget? what do I want to pay when it comes to tyres? Am I looking for better handling or just better looks? Do I want to muck about with modifying guards? How much am I prepared to over spend if I cant find something I like?

What color looks great to some, looks average to others. You need to find wheels that YOU like, not what everyone here thinks you like. Making sure you get the right size wheel with correct offset and to ensure tyres are affordable, is the best way to move forward. Lots of guys here have spent hours if not days researching over the many different options out there. So be prepared in spending some time working out what offset is best, what tyre size is best to fit without scrubbing, what is the best BFYB tyre, and what colors the wheels come in.

That said, popular choices are:

Ultrex wheels
Rota Wheels
Koya Wheels
Enkei Wheels
Rays Wheels

Cheers bud, lots of nice choices in that thread. Wasn't a whole lot against grey that I was a fan of. Regardless, I'll be spending the next 2 months deciding. Thanks!
Ephemera

Postby Ephemera » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:43 pm

Does anyone know if they can find something similar to this design? These are Enkei PF07s, & I could get 18x9" 100x5 with 45mm OS, but they are sold out & only available from Canada.
Having trouble finding similar 7 spokes, cheers.

12182345_886889211401464_2110646000_n.jpg
12182345_886889211401464_2110646000_n.jpg (35.58 KiB) Viewed 3148 times
Ephemera

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:36 pm

http://www.importmonster.com.au/yahoo?c ... 2084195237

Get creative with your keywords. Eg BRZ, ft86 etc...

Www.jessestreeter.com
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby Ephemera » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:46 am

I'd suspect there is a forum post that shows particular sizes that fit, but I still wish to ask. What sizes of wheels can I have before they stick out? I want to avoid rolling the guards if possible. I'm interested in some XXR530's & 550's, which are 18x8.75" at a +35 & +33 OS respectively. I'm worried these may stick out the guards. Any further help would be appreciated. :)
Ephemera

Postby shav » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:05 pm

XXR's are prone to sticking out with a shallow offset. Sadly I think the biggest ofset for those rims is a 35. Not enough to avoid heavy camber and guard rolling. 8.5" with a 45 offset is the max you would want to go with guard rolling. If you want to avoid rolling all together, then stick with a 8" wide rim and no wider than a 225 tyre and a 45mm offset. That is what I am running now. I considered a 235mm and I can fit it but I would be rolling rear guards for safety.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby Ephemera » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:26 pm

shav wrote:XXR's are prone to sticking out with a shallow offset. Sadly I think the biggest ofset for those rims is a 35. Not enough to avoid heavy camber and guard rolling. 8.5" with a 45 offset is the max you would want to go with guard rolling. If you want to avoid rolling all together, then stick with a 8" wide rim and no wider than a 225 tyre and a 45mm offset. That is what I am running now. I considered a 235mm and I can fit it but I would be rolling rear guards for safety.

So without rolling the guards, I'm extremely limited to what I can get. I like the MiRo Type 111 style as well but I don't see that working either. Hmm, I'm going to have to think hard.
Ephemera

Postby shav » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:33 pm

Ephemera wrote:
shav wrote:XXR's are prone to sticking out with a shallow offset. Sadly I think the biggest ofset for those rims is a 35. Not enough to avoid heavy camber and guard rolling. 8.5" with a 45 offset is the max you would want to go with guard rolling. If you want to avoid rolling all together, then stick with a 8" wide rim and no wider than a 225 tyre and a 45mm offset. That is what I am running now. I considered a 235mm and I can fit it but I would be rolling rear guards for safety.

So without rolling the guards, I'm extremely limited to what I can get. I like the MiRo Type 111 style as well but I don't see that working either. Hmm, I'm going to have to think hard.

Pretty much. Offset is everything with these cars. Rolling guards has become the norm for those wanting the flush wheel look. I personally didnt want to bother rolling so opted for the maximum offset and limited myself to 8" wide wheels.
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Postby Ephemera » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:36 pm

shav wrote:
Ephemera wrote:

Pretty much. Offset is everything with these cars. Rolling guards has become the norm for those wanting the flush wheel look. I personally didnt want to bother rolling so opted for the maximum offset and limited myself to 8" wide wheels.

I may just have to roll the guards then, unfortunately. I can get it done easily but was looking to avoid it. Time to look further.
Ephemera

Postby shav » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:18 pm

Run a bit of negative camber as well for added clearance if you lower the car. Just not too much or you'll scrub tyres a bit.
Cheers
Shav

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
shav

Return to Cosmetics