Removing rim paint

Body kits, seat covers, fluffy dice, and other non-performance mods.

Removing rim paint

Postby ciaran » Tue May 26, 2015 3:25 pm

Hey guys, I've got an 06 Spec.b and about 2 years ago I painted the wheels black.

At the time I stupidly assumed that it would be a simple matter of chucking some paint thinner on and using a pressure hose to get them back to their natural alloy state.

I used a primer, 3 coats of paint and 2 coats of clear coat on each wheel, and its held up pretty well. The only damage is where Subaru changed my tires over and the machine they used chipped the paint in some sections along the outside of the rim as well as where the lugnuts are, and it's never looked the same since. Even after a few touch ups.

I'm looking at selling my car at the start of July this year, and I thought it would look better from a buyer's point of view if I removed the paint, and just had the alloy colour showing.

After doing some reading online I'm under the impression that any sort of paint thinner I use will also eat away into the alloys. Can anyone confirm or deny this, or has anyone on here successfully removed wheel paint and if so, a guide would be much appreciated :)

Cheers, Ciaran
ciaran

Car: Subaru Liberty 3.0R Spec.B

Re: Removing rim paint

Postby McDoof » Tue May 26, 2015 4:16 pm

Stock wheels are painted to some extent from the factory. If you want get that stock look back you may be best to give them a light sand and get some silver wheel paint. Very little chance of getting them back to stock by removing the black paint. Been refurbishing my wheels. Check out this thread. If yours are in good condition then you won't need to sand them back like I did. http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=29526
McDoof

Car: MY05 3.0R SpecB 6MT
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26449

Re: Removing rim paint

Postby ciaran » Fri May 29, 2015 1:03 am

Thanks for the input, and I checked out your guide. Top stuff man, your's look amazing!

However if I'm going to have to sand, I'll repaint them black again I really liked how the satin black looked on mine. Although I did all 4 wheels in 1 day last time, with the tires still on, where as I'd take a bit more time this time round and do one per day.

Another option I'm considering is plastidipping them black. I've been told by the guys at autobarn that I can just give them a good clean with a degreaser, then go right over the top with a few coats of plastidip and a a few coats of clear coat. All up it'll be just under $150, and considering I'm selling in July it only really has to last until then.

Thanks again for the info!
ciaran

Car: Subaru Liberty 3.0R Spec.B

Return to Cosmetics