front lips

Body kits, seat covers, fluffy dice, and other non-performance mods.

Re: front lips

Postby Encino Man » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:29 pm

Just fit an OTR lip to my post fl 3.0 spec b..
Not a fantastic fit, but just needs a few (meaning quite a few) screws to fit it snug, otherwise it leaves a gap between the bar and the lip..
In saying that, not sure about the pre fl.

As said, at 220, kind of expected.. Improvisation for the win!
Encino Man

Car: MY07 Liberty 3.0RB

Postby HardwareBoB » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:30 pm

Good work!
HardwareBoB

Car: MY05 GT 5MT Wagon
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27514

Postby notmyrealname » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:08 am

I remember reading in Autosalon magazine a few years back, where the guy doing an MX-5 project car went down to Clark rubber and picked up a black strip of rubber and bolted it on as a front lip. It actually looked quite good, and I'm sure it was well short of $200 all up.
cheers, David

MY04 2.5i Wagon | DBA T2 rotors | Bendix pads | Bilsteins | OEM Sports Grille | Custom hail damage
notmyrealname

Car: 2004 2.5i wagon

Postby Brunsy3.0 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:44 am

Some pictures would be awesome. I have been umming and arring on purchasing a lip for a long time now. On one hand id love genuine for the fitment but the cost is a lot also for the risk of ripping it off on driveway etc. And the cheaper ones like OTR fit the budget but whether they look the part or bot is another story, good to have some flex aswell

1st world problems eh
....THE WHITEWASH....
Brunsy3.0

Car: 07 3.0 Liberty Spec. B pearl white
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21059

Postby Benrs » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:28 pm

OTR front lip.......... before my wife left half of it behind on a gutter somewhere.

as mentioned, the front lip requires a number of screws to pull it up nice and snug underneath. Finish quality is good and flex in the plastic is good for minor rubs entering/exiting driveways etc.

Benrs

Car: 07 GT specB wagon

Postby motmotmot » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:22 am

Encino Man wrote:Just fit an OTR lip to my post fl 3.0 spec b..
Not a fantastic fit, but just needs a few (meaning quite a few) screws to fit it snug, otherwise it leaves a gap between the bar and the lip..
In saying that, not sure about the pre fl.

As said, at 220, kind of expected.. Improvisation for the win!

Did you just self tapper screw the lip ???
motmotmot

Car: Liberty 3.0R B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=29465

Postby MY02B4 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:46 pm

That's a good fit. Mine has gaps on the corners and there's nothing holding in the ends...double sided tape maybe?
MY02B4

Postby Brunsy3.0 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:14 pm

Got around to purchasing an OTR front lip but haven't had a chance to fit it yet. Will look at that when I throw it on the hoist at work will make drilling screwing and taping it a lot easier id imagine. Cant wait. Am hoping it clears my driveway haha
....THE WHITEWASH....
Brunsy3.0

Postby alexeiwoody » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:43 pm

MY02B4 wrote:That's a good fit. Mine has gaps on the corners and there's nothing holding in the ends...double sided tape maybe?

I've fitted one to a preFl tb STi - fits almost like (a little twisted and needs to be held in place tighter to line up properly) and looks like the genuine original Sti lip. Had to use plenty of bolts, and zip ties in between. Original one is held on by plastic undercover clips, but heavy duty zip ties do a much better job when the going get's tough (as you need to be able to control how tightly you want some sections attached).

Much better value compared to genuine. But in terms of people saying these can take more abuse... :lol: I don't think ANY lip can take any real gutter meeting.
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby shav » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:46 am

Ive hit the kerbs, concrete stops in carparks and some gutters which are above regulation height by accident and yeah it does get annoying. Even slopey crossovers getting onto the road make the thing scrape. I love the look of the lip, I really do, but I often question whether it was a good idea to fit it even more so now the car is lower.
Cheers
Shav

MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium Sedan | HKS Panel filter | Pierburg 3 port | Whiteline adj sways F&R | Cusco HD mounts | Whiteline HD front sway links | Anycarlink AL-1080B | Ultrex s/s 3" CBE | Ultrex PU lip spoiler | Invidia s/s dump pipe and 100cel cat | KiDo tuned | DBA T2 rotors | Intima SS brake pads | Mishimoto TMIC | Koya ISR7 wheels | 265L Kobe fuel pump | Diamond Works SI Drive dial | Bilsteins

COSMETIC MODS ON THE WAY

My other toys:
2012 Focus Cayo 2.0 road bike
2015 Cervelo S5 VWD road bike
shav

Car: MY07 Subaru Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18915&start=480

Postby MY02B4 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:34 pm

I've got clips and screws every 20cm or so. The front looks good but the sides are horrible because its thin so there's not enough room to secure anything to it. The ends are the worse because there's nothing to secure it to. I've seen on late model wrx that have clips in the wheel arch but there's nothing for the lib. I'll take some pics when I get a chance. Mind you I bought mine 2yrs ago so the mould may have changed.

alexeiwoody wrote:
MY02B4 wrote:That's a good fit. Mine has gaps on the corners and there's nothing holding in the ends...double sided tape maybe?

I've fitted one to a preFl tb STi - fits almost like (a little twisted and needs to be held in place tighter to line up properly) and looks like the genuine original Sti lip. Had to use plenty of bolts, and zip ties in between. Original one is held on by plastic undercover clips, but heavy duty zip ties do a much better job when the going get's tough (as you need to be able to control how tightly you want some sections attached).

Much better value compared to genuine. But in terms of people saying these can take more abuse... :lol: I don't think ANY lip can take any real gutter meeting.
MY02B4

Postby mik » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:06 pm

I just got myself the OTR fl lip, and I had a bit of trouble fitting it.
They give you bolts, but I used the clips already on the bumper except for one bolt each on the side where the was no clip because it would have been next to impossible to bolt on at those points.
The fitment required some pulling and pushing to get it to line up, and there are parts that seem to sag.. also there are 2 brackets on each corner which don't line up with any holes. Do you guys just drill into the bumper? Or use a couple of self tapping screws?
mik

Car: MY08 GT spec.B

Postby Jordan.k » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:57 pm

mik wrote:I just got myself the OTR fl lip, and I had a bit of trouble fitting it.
They give you bolts, but I used the clips already on the bumper except for one bolt each on the side where the was no clip because it would have been next to impossible to bolt on at those points.
The fitment required some pulling and pushing to get it to line up, and there are parts that seem to sag.. also there are 2 brackets on each corner which don't line up with any holes. Do you guys just drill into the bumper? Or use a couple of self tapping screws?

Paper clips will do the trick, if you will let yourself use them
ARP 2000 Headstuds | VF43 | Norm butler exhaust |
196kw Atw tuned by Matt Mcleod
Jordan.k

Car: '06 wrx
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30099

Postby alexeiwoody » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:01 pm

Jordan.k wrote:
mik wrote:I just got myself the OTR fl lip, and I had a bit of trouble fitting it.

Paper clips will do the trick, if you will let yourself use them

Heavy duty zip ties guys, and don't hold back.
Running no. of weeks without breaking something in the lib: 0
No. of things still to fix in in the lib: 97
alexeiwoody

Car: MY07 LibGT 5EAT

Postby Brunsy3.0 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:26 pm

All up i think i used around 16 nuts n bolts. I threw their nuts in a drawer and got some nyloc nuts so they won't come loose and yes i did drill a larger hole and fit another push clip each side. I used a heatgun and a lump of wood to get the edges to fit better
....THE WHITEWASH....
Brunsy3.0

PreviousNext

Return to Cosmetics