Window Tinting

Body kits, seat covers, fluffy dice, and other non-performance mods.

Re: Window Tinting

Postby GT-B Spec R Pilot » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:58 am

subyroo wrote:You wouldn't want to be putting anything on that would nullify your insurance either. :shock:

Every insurance policy I looked at when I purchased my vehicle had a get out of jail clause for the insurer which went something along the lines of 'the car is to be maintained in a roadworthy condition and driven by an appropriately licensed driver at all times for the insurance to remain valid'.

So if you plan to modify your vehicle in such a way that renders it no longer roadworthy, you may as well save your cash and not bother with insurance other than CTP. Failure to disclose modifications to the insurer also voids your insurance.

Something to consider .....
GT-B Spec R Pilot

Car: MY09 Liberty GT-B Spec R 17/50

Postby HyRax » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:12 am

Insurance issues like that will generally only be applied if you're the driver at fault in a given accident, or where it can be reasonably concluded that something about your car contributed to the incident (at it's simplest, chrome panels reflected the sun into the other driver's eyes causing him to be blinded and run into you - you didn't crash, but were technically at fault by way of being the catalyst for the other driver to crash into you).

Personally I've never heard of anyone having their claim refused or insurance cancelled because their tint was too dark. Yes, that doesn't mean it couldn't happen, but it's also extremely unlikely.
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off...
HyRax

Car: ADM MY19 3.6R Outback
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15482

Postby GT-B Spec R Pilot » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:24 am

HyRax wrote:Personally I've never heard of anyone having their claim refused or insurance cancelled because their tint was too dark.

I agree with you but how may people advise their insurer the tint they have applied is not legal? My guess - 0% and I am pretty sure the % of people who have read their insurance contract and actually understand it is not much higher. I am not trying to discourage or encourage the o.p. from applying whatever tint he likes (legal or otherwise) but make the decision to do so understanding all of the possible (even less likely) consequences that go with it that's all.
GT-B Spec R Pilot

Car: MY09 Liberty GT-B Spec R 17/50

Previous

Return to Cosmetics