Front grill, lip styling advice.

Body kits, seat covers, fluffy dice, and other non-performance mods.

Re: Front grill, lip styling advice.

Postby ferret89 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:54 pm

Martymuso wrote:Well, I have ordered a front lip for my baby lol. It is going to come painted the colour I want so it will be just a matter of fitting it...

Now.... Who can recommend the best way to go about fitting these? Screw? Body glue? both??

I know... duct tape.... lol

Seriously though, what is the best way for these things to be mounted in peoples experience?

Screws and lots of them. I only put about 4 of them plus the mounting tabs first time I put mine on, and 4 months later I went to drive it and my lip was hanging at the front and dragging on the ground. The 2 screws and the mounting tab at the front had pulled through, so I got underneath again and put about 15 screws in there. Its not going anywhere now!

Also Japanparts are great, delivery takes a couple of weeks and it is pricey but can't fault them otherwise.
ferret89

Car: Liberty MY08 Tuned by STI
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28511

Postby Martymuso » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:56 pm

Oh man I hope the lip didn't get too much damage!!

Thanks for the info, sounds like screws is the way to go! I am not sure when my lip will arrive as it is made to order so could be a few weeks yet. I will post a piccy once it is done though! :wink:
Martymuso

Car: 07 Liberty GT Spec B Wagon

Postby TomTom » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:37 pm

Martymuso wrote:Oh man I hope the lip didn't get too much damage!!

Thanks for the info, sounds like screws is the way to go! I am not sure when my lip will arrive as it is made to order so could be a few weeks yet. I will post a piccy once it is done though! :wink:

Still waiting on it? It should come with all the screws you need along with some scivert clips (probably not enough). Pretty simple to get on although the instructions will be In Japanese :lol:
For sale - part out: viewtopic.php?f=68&t=26977
TomTom
formerly TomTheBomb

Car: MY08 Lib GT STI #167
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24291

Postby seanmau5 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:23 pm

I can vouch for Japanparts again! Ordered a JDM nav fascia early last week, arrived today! Super fast!
~ Team VW ~ Das Auto ~
seanmau5
-stickered-

Car: 2009 Volkswagen Passat CC V6
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13255

Postby Martymuso » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:48 am

TomTheBomb wrote:Still waiting on it? It should come with all the screws you need along with some scivert clips (probably not enough). Pretty simple to get on although the instructions will be In Japanese :lol:

Still waiting! the lip is made to order plus I am having it painted first so when it arrives I can just screw it on. Hopefully it will be in the next 3-4 weeks. In the meantime I need to find somewhere to re spray my rear spoiler as its all cut back to the fibreglass and looks Sh... not very good! lol

Was going to see if there was any custom rear spoilers for the wagon worth getting. Not normally much around though, and it is hard to find a design that looks good without being to big and OTT.
Martymuso

Postby Martymuso » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Garage88 called and my lip should be with me this week! Hopefully I can get it fitted over the weekend!
Martymuso

Postby lump_a_charcoal » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:04 pm

Last edited by lump_a_charcoal on Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Team White GenV GT Manual Wagon with fluffy dice

Mods (in order): Blacked out E-tag, drift spec fluffy dice, BC BR coilovers, strobe comfort flasher, de-badged tailgate + new GT badge, Prova Si knob, Tommy Kaira front grill + Gt badge, Cusco Strut brace (front), Prova blue mirrors, SSW Phoenix 20" black Stance SC-7 20" black, Nitto 35 series tyres, HKS filter, DAMD rear wing, Valenti smoked tail lights, LED rear reflectors, Headlights and others by Leo (hks180), Cusco rear sway bar, Full Invidia Q300 TBE, AVO TMIC, Summit Racing rear strut brace, KiDo Tune, front Cusco swaybar, upgraded LCA bushes, Valenti smoked centre tail light
Build thread here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22731
lump_a_charcoal

Car: 2013 Land Rover Defender 110

Postby Graphite » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:20 am

Martymuso wrote:Well, I have ordered a front lip for my baby lol. It is going to come painted the colour I want so it will be just a matter of fitting it...

Now.... Who can recommend the best way to go about fitting these? Screw? Body glue? both??

I know... duct tape.... lol

Seriously though, what is the best way for these things to be mounted in peoples experience?

A link to my write-up is here... http://www.uklegacy.com/forums/index.ph ... 20gt-specb

All the best with it - a painter advised not to paint the lip as it is very tricky to get durablity on these parts - so let us know how you go on with it :mrgreen:

Although - note my last post:

I found using the centre plastic bumper clip as the only way of holding the middle was not enough - It has popped out on more than a few occasions and has ended up dragging on the road over bumps in our fair town 'the home of the pothole' Image

It now has a motorcycle fairing captive nut clip and screw holding it all together and looks and holds much better :mrgreen:
2.0 GT spec.B BP5 with a few mods...
... And now I will show you the most excellent way... 1 Corinthians 12 v 31.......
Graphite

Car: Legacy (Liberty) 2.0GT spec.B JDM 04

Postby Martymuso » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:27 pm

Well last week I got the lip and fitted it on.

Not a bad job, managed to go on pretty nicely. I should have removed the body tape that was already stuck on the upper edge of it though as it would have been more snug, but I got a 2 mm gap which is barely noticeable really .. I will colour it in a bit so it can't be seen at all at some point... but I am very pleased with it and I think it looks awesome. Just the effect I was going for.

The lip is a colour painted Albero lip by Liberal.

here are some pics .. :D
Attachments
Front st 3.jpg
Front st 3.jpg (90.27 KiB) Viewed 2245 times
Front st 2.jpg
Front st 2.jpg (175.38 KiB) Viewed 2245 times
Front lw 1.jpg
There is an Impreza in the background also which is pretty cool.
Front lw 1.jpg (180.86 KiB) Viewed 2245 times
Front st 1.jpg
Front st 1.jpg (193.56 KiB) Viewed 2245 times
Martymuso

Postby sti_stig » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:02 pm

Looks great but with all the stories about lips being stolen. I'd be putting heavy duty pop rivets or unique shaped bolts in there just for that added safety
sti_stig

Car: 08' Subaru Liberty 3.0R Spec.B

Postby Martymuso » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:54 pm

Lips get stolen?? Really?

I haven't herd that one before.... I think I will add a element of 'security' to the install... thanks :)
Martymuso

Previous

Return to Cosmetics