Seat question

Body kits, seat covers, fluffy dice, and other non-performance mods.

Postby smythie » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:36 am

Until ADR's mandate the implementation of airbags in cars (and correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think even steering wheel airbags are mandatory equipment in new cars) the various departments of transport have nothing on you by taking an airbag equipped seat/steering wheel out of a car.
Flag Bitch

MY06 3.0RB
smythie

Car: MY06 3RB - Blue

Postby swingn » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:40 am

smythie wrote:Until ADR's mandate the implementation of airbags in cars (and correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think even steering wheel airbags are mandatory equipment in new cars) the various departments of transport have nothing on you by taking an airbag equipped seat/steering wheel out of a car.

I'm no expert, but from what I understand you are correct sir! :)

Air bags IMO can be very hard to police if they are removed + sometimes they don't even go off! Mr Animal's experience case & point (Hope all is well with you George!)
swingn
-stickered-

Car: MX5 SE / 911 Turbo
Profile URL: www.rtdc.com.au

Postby WhiteGTB » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:48 am

swingn wrote:
smythie wrote:Until ADR's mandate the implementation of airbags in cars (and correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think even steering wheel airbags are mandatory equipment in new cars) the various departments of transport have nothing on you by taking an airbag equipped seat/steering wheel out of a car.

I'm no expert, but from what I understand you are correct sir! :)

Air bags IMO can be very hard to police if they are removed + sometimes they don't even go off! Mr Animal's experience case & point (Hope all is well with you George!)

That's exactly what I thought....
WhiteGTB

Car: MY07 Legacy GT Spec B 6pd

Postby Sentinel » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:27 pm

Hmmm - interesting.

So, ignoring the seat rail issue then, if you modified your seat bolsters where the airbag is deployed, what are the requirements then? For instance, you see the WRX's interiors all bolstered up or re-leathered - does that screw up the airbag deployment??
Memoirs of Sentinel:
GT-B | Black | Wagon | Manual | Brembo's | 19"x8 Blaque Diamond Wheels | Tein C/O's w EDFC | Custom Interior | PHAT Zorst | WL Sways | STi Stuff...
Sentinel
-stickered-

Postby Sentinel » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:29 pm

Oh, forgot to add, when we ordered our GT, I didn't actually fit properly into the car in the passenger side. The dealer was actually prepared to 'amend' the seat rails for us prior to delivery. He said that they simply turn the rail around to give more travel. A couple of days before delivery, he rang and said that it would void the warranty so we decided not to do it.
Memoirs of Sentinel:
GT-B | Black | Wagon | Manual | Brembo's | 19"x8 Blaque Diamond Wheels | Tein C/O's w EDFC | Custom Interior | PHAT Zorst | WL Sways | STi Stuff...
Sentinel
-stickered-

Postby adam » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:52 pm

Sentinel wrote:Oh, forgot to add, when we ordered our GT, I didn't actually fit properly into the car in the passenger side. .

you must be as big as some of the people i know... i played ball against a guy with size 19 shoes tonight :shock:
I spend most of my money on booze, fast cars and women, I just waste the rest...
adam

Postby Subie Boy » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:56 am

where do you play ball?
MY11 MERCEDES E350 COUPE AVANTGARDE
MY12 MASERATI GRAN TURISMO SPORT
MY98 BMW 850ci
Subie Boy

Postby RAN94A » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:58 pm

hey guys... i dont know who you spoke to in the RTA but removing an airbag from a steering wheel is illegal..google it and u get a billion hits all saying the same thing.

i dont know why you would want to anyway.. its there to save your life.. and aside from anything if you do choose to muck with it, your insurance company will be able to get out of making payments should you injure yourself in an accident.
They would probably also be able to get out of making any payments on the car should u have an accident. So effectively your uninsured

In any case you can still do it, im sure it wouldnt be overly hard but i would think hard about it and do your own research on the legality, dont just take people advice as gospel cus a coppa aint gonna car what your mates on a forum told you if hes booking you for it.
RAN94A

Car: Liberty MY06 3.0R

Postby adam » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:47 pm

Subie Boy wrote:where do you play ball?

sunday is pick-up at KGV in the rocks (div 1 college player there last week)
monday is premier league at maddox st alexandria & (loads of aba, nbl and ex-nbl guys which makes for a hard night) and
wednesday is A1 at rooftop in crowsnest.
I spend most of my money on booze, fast cars and women, I just waste the rest...
adam

Postby bschubert » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:54 pm

having dealt with many engineers on a regular basis, any modification that makes the vehicle less safe is considered illegal unless you are prepared to pay for a engineers test and certification on the part/s that you are changing.

so if you have an engineers cert for it you are fine, but hey its your life that the airbag might save.

that info came from a vehicle engineers which is behind my work.
MY05 3.0 RB
HID's are in, TCP Mufflers, coilovers, centre and y pipe and rims :).....front lip is still on hold but the audio has now been upgraded.
bschubert

Car: Subaru Liberty 3.0RB

Postby NoOzL47 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:26 pm

seats are ready, engineer is charging me to engineer them either :P

helps to know people :D

SPL Personal Best: 142.9dB - Youngy Jeezy ft USDA - White Girls
NoOzL47
-stickered-

Car: Screaming 3.0RB

Postby Sentinel » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:19 pm

Hope you're right mate. I'm having to rebolster my seat coz of my back and just every trimmer I went to said that they wouldn't touch the bolster with the airbag in it... Found one who would as he had the certification to enable him to do it, but even then he wouldn't modify the bolster near the airbag nor the change the type of or location of the stitching. Reason - it is designed to deploy in a certain way, modify anything and that could bugger the deployment.

I then said, "just turn the airbag off". He laughed and said that I'd be better off going somewhere else because in the event of an accident, the insurance company would take him down for negligence... Needless to say, I stayed with him and we worked around the airbag - insurance happy, me happy, trimmer happy - no engineering needed.

Point is - engineering needed for non factory fitted or modifed rails and or floor pan, also needed to ensure correct deployment of airbag of incoming seat if not factory. If airbag turned off, not road worthy, no insurance, your coffin.

Goodluck!
Memoirs of Sentinel:
Sentinel
-stickered-

Postby RAN94A » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:24 am

possibly a freebie so he doesnt have his name plastered all over it.. can deny it if need be?

id be abit sus tbh.. like fair enough its all sounding official but that doesnt change the fact that if your insurance company wants to get out of paying your claim they will...
same with if a cop wants to defect you for it... he will.

Claiming ignorance and that you thought u were doing it properly is not an excuse.
RAN94A

Car: Liberty MY06 3.0R

Re:

Postby Hotwire » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:19 pm

Sentinel wrote:Oh, forgot to add, when we ordered our GT, I didn't actually fit properly into the car in the passenger side. The dealer was actually prepared to 'amend' the seat rails for us prior to delivery. He said that they simply turn the rail around to give more travel. A couple of days before delivery, he rang and said that it would void the warranty so we decided not to do it.

Thread mining at its best!!!

anyone heard of doing this for the drivers rail? to get more leg room?
|MY04 Liberty GT Wagon - Premium| |Anti Lift Kit | 18% Tint | 18" Speedy Fin7 |Now the Wifes|
|MY09 MkV Volkswagen GTi| | DSG | Leather | Sunroof | 18% Tint | Mine! |
Hotwire

Car: MY04 GT Wagon Premium

Re: Re:

Postby GTbee » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:13 am

Hotwire wrote:
Sentinel wrote:Oh, forgot to add, when we ordered our GT, I didn't actually fit properly into the car in the passenger side. The dealer was actually prepared to 'amend' the seat rails for us prior to delivery. He said that they simply turn the rail around to give more travel. A couple of days before delivery, he rang and said that it would void the warranty so we decided not to do it.

anyone heard of doing this for the drivers rail? to get more leg room?

I'd also like to know this, and whether it can be done for the 4gen
GTbee

Car: 2005 3.0R-B 6 speed Blue Sedan

Previous

Return to Cosmetics