Crank removal

Nearly everything is in here to start with.
If it's about your car, or Subaru's in general, put it in "Subaru Chat".

Crank removal

Postby *13Figjam13* » Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:08 pm

Hello everyone this is my first time here and thank you for excepting me into this forum, so my daughter recently bought a 2003 liberty from a private dealer well let’s just say it’s a lemon it’s had someone do some dodgy work on the motor and I’ve been left to fix it so I’m in need of some advice , so the key on the crank has been flogged out and they put a new aluminium aftermarket pulley on it to mask it up it unrepairable it needs to be replaced with a lot of other parts but my question to you guys are can I split the block and remove the crank without removing the heads and pistons as well or does the whole thing need to be stripped down I’ve removed the motor from the car already and removed most of the hoses and components I’m almost up to splitting the block but wasn’t sure about the heads can somebody please help me
*13Figjam13*

Car: Subaru liberty 2003

Re: Crank removal

Postby Ric » Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:25 am

Sorry, I don't know the answer, but it may save some time if you state which engine this car has.
It could be 2.0, 2.5 or 3.0 litre, turbo or normally aspirated...
Ric
Site Admin

Car: OLD: MY06 3RB Wagon NEW: MY21 Outbck
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12

Postby *13Figjam13* » Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:27 pm

Sorry it’s a 2.0L turbo B4 motor
*13Figjam13*

Car: Subaru liberty 2003

Postby Yowie » Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:00 pm

Surely the heads need to come off to remove the crankshaft.

The numerous youtube videos and other resources on tearing down an EJ engine can confirm, but I'm willing to bet proper money that "heads must come off" is part of the procedure. How else would a person get at the bolts that hold the case halves together?

Also, if the engine is out, what is the problem with removing the heads?
Yowie

Car: SH Forester XT

Return to General Chat