MY14 Liberty GT making high pitched squeaking sounds

Nearly everything is in here to start with.
If it's about your car, or Subaru's in general, put it in "Subaru Chat".

MY14 Liberty GT making high pitched squeaking sounds

Postby helloitsjason » Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:56 pm

Hi all,

Was hoping you guys could help diagnose what this sound is. I noticed it a couple of weeks back and it went away pretty quickly so I didn't think much of it but it came back this morning.

https://youtu.be/yL2kdL-ZPvU

It doesn't matter whether the clutch is engaged or not and is most audible between 1k to 1.5k rpms.

This is what I gathered so far:
Pulley or belt - Unlikely as the video was taken from underneath the car where the sound was the loudest
Power steering - Also unlikely given the location of the sound plus I recently had the power steering system resealed and got brand new hoses so unless the pump was bad I don't think this is it.
Turbo or exhaust - I did some googling to try and find someone with a similar issue and a few people on other forums seem to think it could be coming from the turbo or an exhaust leak somewhere. The latter seems the most plausible to me as the genVs have a low-mount turbo so it would make sense that the squeaking is loudest underneath the car.

Any ideas what it could be?? Has anyone else encountered a similar sound from their car before?
helloitsjason
-stickered-

Car: MY14 Subaru Liberty GT Premium 6MT

Return to General Chat