2015 liberty high oil consumption + rear brakes

Nearly everything is in here to start with.
If it's about your car, or Subaru's in general, put it in "Subaru Chat".

2015 liberty high oil consumption + rear brakes

Postby steveliberty15 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:51 am

Hi all

Any other 2015 liberty owners here with high oil consumption. Goes from top of dipstick to bottom in about 4000-5000km.. Had this car since new. Only been an issue past 12 months. Subaru dealer completely useless and can't diagnose any fault.
Also a year ago had rear brakes replaced. Now get a squeak on back left hand side as i drive off (without brake pressure applied) Is this the park brake grabbing slightly or touching? Subaru inspect it and found nothing wrong with the brakes. However it's been persistent for 12 months now. One of those things they drive it and no squeak. But i drive it and squeaks. The worrying part is it squeaks as i take off without brake's being applied.
steveliberty15

Car: liberty 2015

Re: 2015 liberty high oil consumption + rear brakes

Postby bigBADbenny » Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:16 pm

Grab torque app for android and a $5 elm327 via eBay, set it all up and look at your fuel trims etc.
Insight on the basic warm idle engine parameters as found in your cars FSM workshop manual free pdf download online.

Obd2australia site has similar devices for eg iOS…

Here’s a general guide on what to log, with this level of interface you’ll be limited to generic obdii engine parameters, and some may have generic names eg AFR = measured air fuel ratio, fuel learning = long term fuel trim, fuel correction = short term fuel trim, and etc.

How to:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36932

Otherwise try an inlet pressure test using smoke or bubbles and replace the pvc valve, inspect related vacuum hoses, as these systems definitely affect oil consumption.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Re: 2015 liberty high oil consumption + rear brakes

Postby Yowie » Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:43 pm

How many kms on the car?

High-to-low on the dipstick over 4000-5000kms seems normal to me for a high-km subaru. FYI total oil capacity is about 4.5 litres, with "low on dipstick" being at about 3.5 litres or more (my estimate). As such, it's only losing about a litre over that time.

I'm still figuring out why my old engine was losing so much. Take your pick from worn valve guides, worn rings, higher blowby sending oil into the intake and probably other reasons.

The rear end squeak could be brakes, but consider also worn suspension bushes.
Yowie

Car: SH Forester XT

Return to General Chat