BH9 Manual Prop Shaft Comparison

Nearly everything is in here to start with.
If it's about your car, or Subaru's in general, put it in "Subaru Chat".

BH9 Manual Prop Shaft Comparison

Postby _Billy_ » Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:18 pm

Hey All,

Recently moved into the Subaru crowd and wondering if someone would give me A hand,

Although not really a technical question but, I am currently doing a trans swap from from the 4AT to the 5MT on a 2003 BH9 Liberty Wagon.

The trans going in is a 5MT with a R160 rear diff. The main problem I'm having is finding a prop shaft / tailshaft and if anyone would be able to tell me if the BH5 or any other series Liberty, WRX or Forester would take the same shaft.

I know it sounds simple but Subaru OEM were wanting $1900 for the shaft and wasn't too keen on going OEM with those kind of prices since it will be ripped out in 6 months with a swap to the Ej257 with the six speed.

Cheers all :)
_Billy_

Car: Liberty RX 2.5 Wagon

Re: BH9 Manual Prop Shaft Comparison

Postby rexhunta » Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:52 pm

I'm doing a swap atm, and what I have found is you need the manual tail shaft for that chassis. The impreza manual shafts are 60mm too short, as I have found with a gen1 with 5 speed to the impreza it came out of.

Apparently there's a way to use the auto rear section but haven't had complete confirmation from anyone, more hearsay.

Pete.
rexhunta

Car: 2008 Gen 4 BL9, 1991 Gen 1 BC

Return to General Chat