Subaru Liberty MY10 GT - Transmission slip

Nearly everything is in here to start with.
If it's about your car, or Subaru's in general, put it in "Subaru Chat".

Subaru Liberty MY10 GT - Transmission slip

Postby kempahh » Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:15 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum but was hoping someone could provide some advise on an issue I've been having intermittently with my Liberty GT Premium MY10.

It fails to engage third gear after moving out of second - causing it to over rev and then crunch into third. I caught a video of it here: https://youtu.be/Mv2pijOnhu0

This happenss 3-4 times in the same drive but will then not occur again for another week or two.

Just the other day I had the dash lights blinking - getting road side assistance they said it was a P0700 (Transmission Control System – Malfunction) warning and reset it.

I've previously spent $2,500 for a trans mechanic to pull out the transmission and replace a seal which he was 90% confident would fix the problem but it didn't. I've gone to a few other mechanics who aren't really sure on the issue. One said that I could take it to another transmission shop but they would most likely just want to replace the whole transmission which I can't afford.

Any suggestions on next steps would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
kempahh

Car: MY10 Liberty GT

Re: Subaru Liberty MY10 GT - Transmission slip

Postby LibertyTragic » Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:41 pm

Hey mate, welcome to the forum.

A very common issue with the Gen5 autos. Grab the code from the TCU by taking it to a mechanic with a scan tool that can go one layer deeper, e.g. a Subaru select scan tool. The P0700 is just a generic trans fault and the TCU will have the actual code for the specific issue. If it is a P1710 or P1718 then see here for the fix:
viewtopic.php?f=73&t=36415

Not super expensive if you are handy on the tools.
LibertyTragic

Car: 2009 Liberty GT Premium
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=36145

Re: Subaru Liberty MY10 GT - Transmission slip

Postby kempahh » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:30 am

Thanks for the reply mate, really appreciate the information. I'll have chat with the mechanic and go from there.
kempahh

Car: MY10 Liberty GT

Return to General Chat