X-Force Cat-Back System

Nearly everything is in here to start with.
If it's about your car, or Subaru's in general, put it in "Subaru Chat".

X-Force Cat-Back System

Postby Dmam_09 » Tue May 05, 2020 1:06 am

Hi guys,
Looking at getting an X-Force cat back system for my '09 4GEN 2.5 n/a Liberty Sedan, not sure whether to get the 2.25in or 2.5in and in mild or stainless steel. Any recommendations??
Dmam_09

Car: Subaru Liberty 4GEN 2009 2.5i

Re: X-Force Cat-Back System

Postby Stifull » Tue May 05, 2020 10:33 am

If money is not an issue, stainless is better although 2.5" on a non turbo may not provide enough back pressure.. I have a 2.5 Xforce on my 07 GT and it has a nice sound with out being too loud. If you are just getting a new one because the old one is damaged, I have the stock one of my 07 2.5 that you can have if you want it. It's in perfect condition. Located in brisbane..
Current Subarus
07 Liberty GT (mine) 180kwt on 16lb
98 WRX Club Spes 2 with 2.5ltr upgrade(mine) sub 14 sec
99 Ver 6 Sti also with 2.5ltr upgrade (son) sub 14 sec
02 WRX Bugeye Hatch lots of goodies(wife)
09 Non Turbo Impreza(daughter#4)
Previous
98 GC8 WRX Hatch(daughter#1)
02 Bugeye WRX (daughter#2)
Stifull

Car: '07 Liberty GT '98 WRX CS2 2.5ltr

Postby Yowie » Tue May 05, 2020 3:35 pm

Due to cost, mild steel tends to be thicker and therefore quieter than the stainless steel equivalent exhaust. Stainless can be a bit raspy-sounding. Stainless looks better and is usually more corrosion-resistant of course.

Most comments on the internet about exhaust sound (loud/quiet or great/rubbish) are so subjective as to be meaningless to the poor chap doing the research. Video (with audio) is better. A look/listen with a real example is best.

2.5" will flow better than 2.25" but have a bit more sound volume too. Better flow will allow better performance, although on a small-capacity naturally aspirated motor the improvements will generally be small.

("a car needs back pressure in the exhaust" is a myth that just won't die unfortunately - especially when we're far back from the headers after the catalytic converter).

Another option to save money is to run with a stock cat-back exhaust (or a replacement from Stifull) and talk to your local exhaust shop about some mufflers that have the look & sound you are after. Many exhaust shops will keep swapping mufflers for you until you are happy with the sound. Ditched WRX mufflers may be a cheaper option again if they fit the space.

In contrast, if you don't like your X Force choice you probably need to find someone willing to buy it from you "near new but discounted".
Yowie

Car: SH Forester XT

Postby Dmam_09 » Tue May 05, 2020 6:29 pm

Stifull wrote:If money is not an issue, stainless is better although 2.5" on a non turbo may not provide enough back pressure.. I have a 2.5 Xforce on my 07 GT and it has a nice sound with out being too loud. If you are just getting a new one because the old one is damaged, I have the stock one of my 07 2.5 that you can have if you want it. It's in perfect condition. Located in brisbane..

Appreciate the help, thanks for the offer my current stock exhaust is fine just looking to upgrade for sound. Money not so much the issue as price difference between mild and stainless is minor so will look at getting stainless, was more concerned about the sound difference between the 2. Thanks
Last edited by Dmam_09 on Wed May 06, 2020 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dmam_09

Postby Dmam_09 » Tue May 05, 2020 6:39 pm

Yowie wrote:Due to cost, mild steel tends to be thicker and therefore quieter than the stainless steel equivalent exhaust. Stainless can be a bit raspy-sounding. Stainless looks better and is usually more corrosion-resistant of course.

Most comments on the internet about exhaust sound (loud/quiet or great/rubbish) are so subjective as to be meaningless to the poor chap doing the research. Video (with audio) is better. A look/listen with a real example is best.

2.5" will flow better than 2.25" but have a bit more sound volume too. Better flow will allow better performance, although on a small-capacity naturally aspirated motor the improvements will generally be small.

("a car needs back pressure in the exhaust" is a myth that just won't die unfortunately - especially when we're far back from the headers after the catalytic converter).

Another option to save money is to run with a stock cat-back exhaust (or a replacement from Stifull) and talk to your local exhaust shop about some mufflers that have the look & sound you are after. Many exhaust shops will keep swapping mufflers for you until you are happy with the sound. Ditched WRX mufflers may be a cheaper option again if they fit the space.

In contrast, if you don't like your X Force choice you probably need to find someone willing to buy it from you "near new but discounted".

Thanks yowie,
I know that improvements in performance will be minimal if any though I’m not concerned as I’m purely just getting it for a nicer note/ louder. I’ve read about backpressure and that the 2.5 might be to big for the non turbo, so wasn’t sure if the 2.25 would be better. Ideally I’d prefer it to be louder, but have also read how the 2.5inch can decrease pefromance/fuel efficiency, but not sure how much is true.
Dmam_09

Return to General Chat