What is this about ??? "4th gen post f/l"

Nearly everything is in here to start with.
If it's about your car, or Subaru's in general, put it in "Subaru Chat".

What is this about ??? "4th gen post f/l"

Postby Stifull » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:04 pm

I have seen this mentioned several times and can't quite work it out .. When did the "f/l happen ?? and when did Gen 4 start and finish ??
What is mine ???? Sorry for such a basic question but it's a bit of a mystery.. What Gen are we up to now ??? Is a F/L just a change of model like Bugeye to Peanut and Peanut to Pig and pig to Ugly B etc etc ...Never really taken much notice of Libs till I saw a local one a couple of years ago that looked quite nice with a few mods, and, was not easy to catch going up the range in our sti.. (230+kwts atw) and thought "if they can be that quick I might get me one of those !!!" and make it look
Current Subarus
07 Liberty GT (mine) 180kwt on 16lb
98 WRX Club Spes 2 with 2.5ltr upgrade(mine) sub 14 sec
99 Ver 6 Sti also with 2.5ltr upgrade (son) sub 14 sec
02 WRX Bugeye Hatch lots of goodies(wife)
09 Non Turbo Impreza(daughter#4)
Previous
98 GC8 WRX Hatch(daughter#1)
02 Bugeye WRX (daughter#2)
Stifull

Car: '07 Liberty GT '98 WRX CS2 2.5ltr

Re: What is this about ??? "4th gen post f/l"

Postby Ric » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:20 pm

Ric
Site Admin

Car: OLD: MY06 3RB Wagon NEW: MY21 Outbck
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12

Postby Stifull » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:40 pm

Good reading... cheers, thanks for the links..
Current Subarus
Previous
Stifull

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:19 am

Generations and face revision/update are one thing, but an awareness of platforms adds another level of understanding.

Platform-wise, the Gen4 Lib was the precursor to the Impreza G3, thus the platforms are similar and generally more parts are interchangeable between the two than say G2 aka GD Impreza.

This can be seen in aspects like engines, intercoolers, front control arms, steering wheels and so on.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby Stifull » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:13 am

Yes that is an interesting observation .. So why then is there such a minimal list of affordable and common turbos that can fit my model Lib for example or is that also the case for newer model Imprezas.. All ours have always been bugeyes or gc8/gf8s except for one non turbo 08 Impreza that my youngest daughter has atm, so I am not at all familiar with anything newer than 2002 really. Do newer imprezas also have a limited range of turbos etc.. It's quite frustrating trying to get 2nd hand goodies for the Lib because they are all "special" lol...With the older model rex/sti people are almost giving away thing to "clean out their shed" . When I bought the blue 98 it had a new 2.5 ltr engine block with the rex heads fitted but was stock everything else. It cost me just over $1k to buy a VF22, divorced downpipe, 3" system, bigger injectors, IC "Y" pipe, CAI, silicon intake, Unichip etc etc ...and I rounded them all up within a couple of months. There is a special shelf where they keep the hens teeth and rocking horse poo where they store the Liberty parts... I love my Lib by the way and have to keep charging the batteries in my other cars from lack of use but it would be nice to get it going a little better without having to sell my children, they are all older and higher maintenance now so not as much demand..
Current Subarus
Previous
Stifull

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:28 am

The key is to upgrade from an intercooler that uses the flange that bolts onto the VF46 or VF52 type compressor outlet.
This can be achieved with a process west tmic (that has options for both types of turbo compressor outlet) or by going front mount intercooler.

Bear in mind there are various upgrade turbos that suit the flanged type intercoolers, eg avo 380 lgt, blouch 440, tomei arms, and offerings from tomioka, kinugawa & kando et al.

Most will support the maximum amount of power you’d want to extract from the stock block.
So overall the options are way better than for prefl twinscroll with stock headers etc.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby Adrian2627 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:13 pm

If you look at your build plate you'll see "Applied Model" which will have BXXXXXXX. The key characters here will ID you car when buying parts. In Japan "chassis code" is used rather than Gen and what we call 4th Gen is ID'd as BP/BL. BL for sedan and BP for wagon. Following that will be 5 for 2.0, 9 for 2.5 or E for 3.0. The final key character is the "applied version" A, B, and C are essentially prefacelift and D, E, F are postfacelift. Model years get a bit funky here as in Japan a model goes from April to April and we're a bit behind as the Gen 4 (BP/BL) was actually released in Japan May 03 and discontined May 08 but for us MY04-06 were prefacelift and 07-09 were post.

Clear as mud?
Adrian2627

Car: BP5F (MY09) Legacy 2.0 GT Spec B

Postby Stifull » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:20 am

Cheers.. I am familiar with vin # and how they describe options, model specs, high roof, low roof, LWB, petrol, diesel etc of other cars but didn't know what the Lib ones meant so thanks for that..
Current Subarus
Previous
Stifull

Return to General Chat