Had a ride in a Tesla

Nearly everything is in here to start with.
If it's about your car, or Subaru's in general, put it in "Subaru Chat".

Had a ride in a Tesla

Postby norbs » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:01 pm

Had a ride in a Tesla model 3 performance on the weekend and all I can say is WOW !! Straight line acceleration is phenomenal. From stand still, we achieved 113kmh in less than four seconds. I have it on video. I have never experienced such ferocious acceleration. It nearly gave me a heart attack LOL.

Entering that Tesla was a life changing experience as from that moment I realized that petrol cars were dead. I honestly am holding out for an EV as I see no point going petrol any more.

As more manufactures get on board, prices will drop and they will only get better.

Pros:-
- Performance
- No noise (can come home at 3am without waking up the neighbourhood)
- Little maintenance
- Cheap to run (fill er up at home)
- Zero emissions (ok maybe some brake dust)
- No need to tinker/modify (for some this could be a negative)

Cons:-
- Cost (will improve over time)
- Re-charge times (will improve over time)
- No tinkering or modifying (for some this could be a positive)
- Disruptive to the auto industry. Will put a lot of people out of work.

Like to hear your thoughts.
'05 Lib GT with a few mods :-)
norbs

Re: Had a ride in a Tesla

Postby subyroo » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:27 pm

norbs wrote: - Will put a lot of people out of work.

Like to hear your thoughts.

It will be catastrophic, not to mention the financial cost to world trade.
Pedro

2021 Honda HR-V VTi-S
MY03 XS Forester (owned for 13yrs.)
Man blames fate for other accidents but feels personally responsible for a hole in one.
subyroo

Car: 2021 Honda HRV VTi-S

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:05 am

I’m hanging out for universal electric motor conversion kits ...

Only issue is having to learn to shift the h pattern in reverse :P
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby ManiacLachy » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:50 am

Yep, electric conversions have my interest. I don't really like most modern cars, the styling, the nannies, etc. But, if I could slap an electric motor and batteries into my Lib and keep everything else, including the manual, then that would be the best of both worlds.

I'm not sure about how easily charging is going to be adopted. I park in a parking lot at work, and out on the street at home. A lot of people are in similar situations, garages are usually full of storage and/or not enough room for all cars in the house, so how do you charge at home. And a lot of people park at work like me or in a public transport depot, again no charging facilities. Is there a solution for this?

Also, I call into doubt the zero emissions claim. From what I hear the process of developing the batteries is more intensive and gives of more emissions than using a petrol car. And, don't forget your electricity has to be generated somehow, and in Australia that means predominantly coal based. As we move into more renewable power sources, and batteries productions and lifespans improve, we'll get closer to zero emissions, but we're not there yet.

I do think it's the future of cars, and improvements will only accelerate from here as adoption becomes more widespread. Australia should have been at the forefront of this technology (as well as other renewable power sources and storage), but successive governments and our local industry have had their heads in the sand, this would have create a whole new local industry! But, we've been left behind.
ManiacLachy

Car: 2007 Liberty GT-B Wagon

Postby Tonic » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:17 pm

I’m going to miss the sound of the internal combustion engine through a decent exhaust....
But I expect it.... sooner rather than later.....
I would really like to see a conversion kit where some old 60’s classic could have an electric unit powering it........ with an external speaker projecting vrooom veooom noises for authenticity’s sake.....
Tonic

Car: 06 Liberty 3.0RB now 09 facelift

Postby fedaykin » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:48 am

EU mandates electric cars generate noise, so you could make it sound like Jetsons, or maybe a quad rotor
fedaykin

Car: MY10 GT Wagon 6MT

Return to General Chat