clunking when steering left or right at extremes LIBERTY 08

Nearly everything is in here to start with.
If it's about your car, or Subaru's in general, put it in "Subaru Chat".

Re: clunking when steering left or right at extremes LIBERTY

Postby jacks-GTB » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:36 pm

Yeah my money is on un-balanced tyres...
jacks-GTB

Car: 2007 Subaru Liberty GT Spec B
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16629

Postby kaycy » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:26 am

Hi,

I have been having the same clunking and car hopping when turning the steering wheel especially after driving the car for 1 hour or over. Now, I had the drive shaft replaced on the left side and the sway bar end link and the handling improved massively but the clunking remains.

On Saturday I was in Ballina and I had the car checked out at tyrepower and they reckon that the steering wheel locking nut is loose and the left side brake calliper. The car is going for a service at Subaru and I will see if fixing those two issues fix the problem.
kaycy

Car: Subaru Blitzen MY06

Postby BillyCorgi » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:36 pm

kaycy wrote:Hi,

I have been having the same clunking and car hopping when turning the steering wheel especially after driving the car for 1 hour or over. Now, I had the drive shaft replaced on the left side and the sway bar end link and the handling improved massively but the clunking remains.

On Saturday I was in Ballina and I had the car checked out at tyrepower and they reckon that the steering wheel locking nut is loose and the left side brake calliper. The car is going for a service at Subaru and I will see if fixing those two issues fix the problem.

Please Read

Hi, This is Peter from CorgiWerx.

The classic Centre Differential Viscous Coupling failures is a distinct BANG-BANG-BANG-BANG through the drive line (and yes, felt up through the seering wheel) when on tight turn at full lock.
It will be there when the car is hot, only to disappear when cold and only to reappaear again once more when hot.

BANG-BANG-BANG-BANG - Hot YES - Cold NO - Hot YES (again) are the classic symptoms.

As bigBADbenny says, contact me when you are ready to seek a repalcement rebuilt centre diff.

You have the classic symptoms of a centre diff failure
Get your Short Shift Adaptor viewtopic.php?f=68&t=30525
Get your Gear Shift Rejuvenation Kit viewtopic.php?f=68&t=31240
Get your Centre Differential Rebuild viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31089
Want a custom built Brake Cylinder Stopper? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31321
Need to hire a Guard Rolling Machine? viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31899
Get your BillyCorgi's "Not-4-Wimps" Chilli Sauce
BillyCorgi

Car: Liberty 3.0R-B Wagon E85 Flex Fuel
Profile URL: www.facebook.com/CorgiWerx

Postby RX25SE » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:31 pm

As above - center diff shagged
RX25SE

Car: MY07 30RB 6sp Wag

Postby kaycy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:13 am

BillyCorgi wrote:

Please Read

Hi, This is Peter from CorgiWerx.

The classic Centre Differential Viscous Coupling failures is a distinct BANG-BANG-BANG-BANG through the drive line (and yes, felt up through the seering wheel) when on tight turn at full lock.
It will be there when the car is hot, only to disappear when cold and only to reappaear again once more when hot.

BANG-BANG-BANG-BANG - Hot YES - Cold NO - Hot YES (again) are the classic symptoms.

As bigBADbenny says, contact me when you are ready to seek a repalcement rebuilt centre diff.

You have the classic symptoms of a centre diff failure

Ok, thanks.
kaycy

Postby kaycy » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:55 pm

I got a new centre diff thinking the old one would be way too worn out and I couldn’t be without the car for more than two days. The locking and bouncing symptoms have stopped completely.

It is amazing how the old one still looks good from outside.

BillyCorgi, may be you should do a swap so that we can keep the cars on the road.
kaycy

Previous

Return to General Chat