Buying a 4GEN in late 2018....

Nearly everything is in here to start with.
If it's about your car, or Subaru's in general, put it in "Subaru Chat".

Buying a 4GEN in late 2018....

Postby GEN3RX » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:19 pm

Hey guys, i am currently looking to upgrade from my 3GEN RX auto wagon into a 4GEN wagon. I have mainly been considering the 3 liter flat 6 and 2.5 turbo up until now and havent really been too bothered considering the more basic models. I am in particular looking for a manual wagon with reasonable Km's. I have been really struggling to find something thats what im after with the km's to suit. Am i being too picky?? Most of the ones i find with low kms are all the base spec and anything that looks really nice is either auto or high km's. I am not the best when it comes to the mechanical side of things but i absolutely love the libertys, especially the wagons and am really keen to get into my first manual transmission! Basically i guess what im aksing is am i being unrealistic with the km's for a car of this age? At the moment i am quite hesitant at anything higher that mid 150'000kms as im worried ill end up with a lot of issues that ill be well over my head in dealing with both in cost and know how. Is there such thing as a gt/3.0 manual wagon with moderate kms for less this 17k??? How concerned should i be with high km's? I understand its not even close to the best way of knowing the quality of a car but I cant help but feel a little cautious. Sorry for the rant, hoping someone will be able to talk some sense into me :P
GEN3RX

Re: Buying a 4GEN in late 2018....

Postby bigBADbenny » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:59 am

Start with paragraphs :)

I have to say if you’re over your head and cbf’d getting up to speed, a gen4 is probably going to be a bother.

Probs go for an H6 as they’re pretty awesome stock and unmolested.

2.5t’s are way better molested, assuming you have the smarts to keep them maintained and tuned.

As for k’s, I’d be more interested in who owned the car previously, and their attitude towards it and what they did to maintain and enhance it.

Such cars are out there, owned by the right owners and waiting for the right buyer.

Have a look on the lib club FB as well.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby GEN3RX » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:42 pm

Thanks for the reply man!

Paragraphs from here on out :P

The hunt continues...
GEN3RX

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:51 pm

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35648&p=443954#p443954

Stock and up to date services: perfection!
bigBADbenny

Postby GEN3RX » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:01 pm

Thanks so much for the link!

Unfortunately my stubborn ass cant resist the wagon. Wish I wasnt like this because the sedan looks so mint hahahaa
GEN3RX

Postby bigBADbenny » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:15 pm

My wag took us 6mo to find 7 years ago!
I insisted on manual, wife wanted black duco.

But that sedan... ^^^
Are you on the FB group?
If not I’ll post this link there...
They’re out there...
bigBADbenny

Postby GEN3RX » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:14 pm

Recently joined the FB group :) :) :)

Definitely gotta go the wagon I say :P

Ill find a GT/H6 manual wagon if it kills me hahahah
GEN3RX

Postby bigBADbenny » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:40 pm

I'll accept a generous spotters fee for this beauty :)
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 806183972/
bigBADbenny

Postby GEN3RX » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:20 pm

Now we’re talkin, this ones definitely been on the watch list! what would be the major things to keep an eye out for when looking at a car of this age?
GEN3RX

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:01 am

Who tuned it, the latest LV & log.
How much oil it uses.
Was the inlet tube or tb hose replaced or upgraded.
Why does it have a new drivers headlight.
When is timing belt service #2 due (right about now I’d say based on years at least)
How much is left in the clutch.
How many clutches has it had.
Budget for tyres, brakes, clutch & timing belt.

They’re just sane questions for a buyer, the vendor can clearly handle himself and is a fan of the breed :)
Probably a photographer too, the images are very clear, concise without being overwrought either.

If you buy a ticket to see it, get the owner to give it the beans up Mt Lofty.
Then you’ll know for sure ;)
bigBADbenny

Postby GEN3RX » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:56 am

Thanks so much for the info man! Genuinely a huge help :) :) :) Definitely a solid option.

At what point would the second major service be roughly expected for a gen4?

Flight to radelaide in the future perhaps *chin stroking intensifies*
GEN3RX

Postby IllusiveGiraffe » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:12 pm

Hey mate, I was in a very similar position to you around 2 months ago. My gen3 RX was my first car but it was old, due for a fair bit of work and I wanted something a bit more exciting. I began looking at H6 gen4's (the GT wasn't an option for me because of P plates). I was checking both carsales and gumtree every day for around 2 months before I just recently found a near perfect example of what I wanted.

I also wanted a wagon very badly but as I'm sure you would've found out they are limited, talking in manual of course - assuming that's a 100% requirement for you as it was for me. There have been a couple up on carsales for a while for around the 16-18k mark but I just couldn't justify these prices when the sedans are around 10k-14k. I found that the price fluctuates a lot depending on the state too. Over the last couple months I've seen 4 sedans in QLD listed for 10k and sold shortly after, all with full service history, good condition and 130-150,000km. Meanwhile down here in Victoria the equivalent would be around the 14k mark.

Anyway, I ended up finding one that had been traded into a dealer on carsales, they had a price listed but no pictures or description so I wanted to get on it ASAP to try and ensure a possibility of getting this one, as it was close and had low kms. Looked immaculate and had a full service history, 155,000km and had been kept stock it's whole life, so perfect for what I wanted. We agreed upon $12000 and that includes a $2400 rwc in which all major bushes are being replaced, power steering pump, one seat as the motor died and some other small things. In terms of what I would say to look out for: Bushes are always gonna be a first thing that'll need replacing after 150,000 odd kms, also the centre diff is known to go out quite early around the 130k mark. Other than that just the obvious head gaskets, fluid levels etc.. a strong service history will give you confidence in your buy, was the most important thing on my list.

I know this is quite a long post but I wanted to just provide what information I have learnt about watching the market over the past few months. It seems to be all over the shop with some extremely cheap models popping up in the last week or so, a tbsti selling for 10k and today a spec. b h6 was listed for 8.5k with only 118,000kms. Pretty sure it sold within a few hours. The longer you wait the closer you'll get to getting the model you see as perfect, just depends on how long it really is until you need a new car. Hope this helps somehow, enjoy your search!
Prev: '03 Liberty RX Special Edition
Current: '06 Liberty Spec. B H6
IllusiveGiraffe

Car: 2003 RX Manual

Postby bigBADbenny » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:26 pm

Great post ^ :good:
Second major service is around 200k or based on years/time.
Did you snap it up yet?

Another alternative: buy a postfl auto h6 eg outback (for the flares), fettle the suspension (Shockworks or MCA) (cut the inner guards for lows/stance) then put an adm my07 dccd in, then later as funds permit - turbo it.
There’s a few turboed h6’s out there, the heads flow really well and iirc closed decking is possible when going built.

That’s what I’d do if I was starting afresh :P
bigBADbenny

Postby GEN3RX » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:45 pm

Thank you so much for the replies guys!!! Really is a massive help. Think it’s kust about being patient atm and not doing anything stupid. Just wait for the right one to pop up. Only a fool wouldn’t see the wagon as a necessity :D
GEN3RX

Postby IllusiveGiraffe » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:12 pm

Good luck in searching! Keep us updated with what you end up getting :)
Prev: '03 Liberty RX Special Edition
Current: '06 Liberty Spec. B H6
IllusiveGiraffe

Car: 2003 RX Manual

Return to General Chat