New Subaru Ascent released at the LA motor show

Nearly everything is in here to start with.
If it's about your car, or Subaru's in general, put it in "Subaru Chat".

New Subaru Ascent released at the LA motor show

Postby muzza » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:58 pm

http://www.caradvice.com.au/605537/2018 ... -unveiled/

This is a big 8seat SUV that the Yankees just love, long awaited replacement for the TriBeCa. At least this time they appear to have avoided hitting it with the ugly stick. Kinda looks like a stretched and jacked Outback, so not bad.

The most important bit though is this: "The Ascent will be powered exclusively by a new 2.4-litre turbocharged four-cylinder boxer engine. Equipped with direct injection and a twin-scroll turbo, the new motor develops 194kW of power 5600rpm, and 376Nm of torque between 2000 and 4800rpm.

To put that into perspective, the 3.6-litre six-cylinder mill in the current Liberty and Outback makes 191kW of power at 6000rpm, and 350Nm of torque at 4400rpm."

It looks like this will be the death knell for the 3.6, and will likely be a big torquer with a relatively small turbo for heavier vehicles to give better fuel economy a la Mazda CX-9.

But more interesting is that this is 2.4 DIT with a twin scroll, so with a bigger turbo could be the basis of a new STi engine and also maybe a new GT liberty. But who knows if they will make a wagon again....

It's tied to a CVT though so unless they build a decent high torque unit there won't be much scope to boost performance for auto lovers. Unless they make a new hydraulic 7 speed unit.

Also of interest from Mazda is a Mazda 6 update with a GT with the turbo motor from the CX-9. Wonder if it will be AWD? Or if they will give it a few more herbs?
Muzza
MY13 GT wagon auto - SOLD.
MY19 Golf R wagon current
muzza

Car: MY19 Golf R wagon

Re: New Subaru Ascent released at the LA motor show

Postby norbs » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:22 pm

Engine seems good. And yes I don't expect Subaru to have much problem getting 250+ KW from that motor for the new STI.
'05 Lib GT with a few mods :-)
norbs

Postby fedaykin » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:03 am

Gen7 GT wagon 6spd?
fedaykin

Car: MY10 GT Wagon 6MT

Postby muzza » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:00 pm

We live in hope....
But the way they are going, any hope of future performance Liberties seems extremely limited.
They couldn't even make the Levorg decently quick.
Muzza
MY13 GT wagon auto - SOLD.
MY19 Golf R wagon current
muzza

Car: MY19 Golf R wagon

Return to General Chat