modified car insurance

Nearly everything is in here to start with.
If it's about your car, or Subaru's in general, put it in "Subaru Chat".

Re: modified car insurance

Postby teK-- » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:09 pm

RX25SE wrote:Any insurance company is only as good as the claims they allow.

I have been insured with Shannons for over 25 years with both modified and daily drives (plus home and contents) and have made a few claims over the years.

Not once did they give any headaches and allowed the panel beater to do exactly what was needed to repair the car correctly. I cant help but wonder if insurers that have slightly lower premiums would do this.

Agree this is why I use them. Choice of own repairer is a big advantage.
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby Libacy Gt » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:44 pm

would love to use them too, but i dont think anything can justify a $4000 + premium with only $25000 agreed value, on a $22000 car that i spent over $18000 worth of mods on.
The shannons guy even said, he has never heard of such a high premium on a liberty, so he checked with his manager and they said there is nothing they can do?! lol. They said even if the car was garaged it would not be significantly less.
time to keep the car in another suburb. ;)
Libacy Gt

Car: Lib Gt Wagon Gen 5, 5EAT 2011
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=34162

Postby tom_kauf » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:58 pm

Wow, that's crazy money! I pay $372 for 12months (that's not a typo) of Comprehensive with AAMI. They allow most legal modifications, and you don't need to tell them about the mods:
From their website: "There's no need to list them on your policy, just make sure the amount you cover your car for is enough to also cover the value of all the insured accessories and modifications."

Have you tried AAMI? I'm 35, but my premium has been under $400/year since I got the car almost 5 years ago. I do have the Flexible Excess all the way to the Max though ($2100 I think). But my premium was still under $1000 at the normal excess. And even though I live in a regional area, car theft is common with bored delinquent teens, so I don't think my area is much better than most.

I can't comment on making a claim thought, since I've never made one. I'm sure the smaller companies like Shannons are better. But there are plenty of people who hate on eg. Suncorp for home insurance, but I've had nothing but good experiences with them. So there will always be some unhappy people with the amount of claims the large insurers process.
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Postby Libacy Gt » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:13 am

tom_kauf wrote:Wow, that's crazy money! I pay $372 for 12months (that's not a typo) of Comprehensive with AAMI. They allow most legal modifications, and you don't need to tell them about the mods:
From their website: "There's no need to list them on your policy, just make sure the amount you cover your car for is enough to also cover the value of all the insured accessories and modifications."

Have you tried AAMI? I'm 35, but my premium has been under $400/year since I got the car almost 5 years ago. I do have the Flexible Excess all the way to the Max though ($2100 I think). But my premium was still under $1000 at the normal excess. And even though I live in a regional area, car theft is common with bored delinquent teens, so I don't think my area is much better than most.

I can't comment on making a claim thought, since I've never made one. I'm sure the smaller companies like Shannons are better. But there are plenty of people who hate on eg. Suncorp for home insurance, but I've had nothing but good experiences with them. So there will always be some unhappy people with the amount of claims the large insurers process.

ill give Aami a go.
Libacy Gt

Car: Lib Gt Wagon Gen 5, 5EAT 2011
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=34162

Postby RX25SE » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:11 pm

Nothing against those that are insured with AAMI, but I would look very carefully about what they allow to go through should a claim be made.

I spoke with my panel beater about AAMI and he prefers not to do work for them, as they wont allow for such things like blending of panels. He will do their rectification work, where he fixes a repair that the insured is not happy with.
RX25SE

Car: MY07 30RB 6sp Wag

Previous

Return to General Chat