Cleaning and protecting the dash in a Gen 4

Nearly everything is in here to start with.
If it's about your car, or Subaru's in general, put it in "Subaru Chat".

Cleaning and protecting the dash in a Gen 4

Postby Shaheenis » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:23 pm

Hi there,

Not sure whether the dashboard in the Gen4 PostFL is the same as others but I am after advice on how to best look after it.

When I purchased the car it had not been touched. It was a matt dull texture. The dash almost feels like a rubber compound - not vinyl like the door cards etc.

I decided to put a protective coating on using Aerospace 303 which is a water based non silicone product and recommended by the detailing community. I have used the 303 in a number of other interiors with no problems but for some reason on the Subaru dash it seems to make the dash a bit sticky. It has been on for about 6 months. I am inclined to remove it with some APC and leave it as is.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers,
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Re: Cleaning and protecting the dash in a Gen 4

Postby Tonic » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:26 pm

Dunno but I would like to see suggestions also.

The preface lift dash splits.... the post face lift gets sticky.....
Tonic

Car: 06 Liberty 3.0RB now 09 facelift

Postby Lane » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:57 am

It also marks easily, I've a mount for a Nexus and it has created several scratches in it, it's so soft and delicate.
Lane

Car: BMW 335i & RSV4 Factory

Postby Shaheenis » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:09 pm

Yeah to be honest when I got the car I though the dash was great and probably should have left it. I think the stickiness (it's not really that sticky but you know what I mean if you have the same) comes from what I have put on it and I had chosen carefully :(. I have also noticed it is very delicate which I think worsens by applying anything to it. I have actually nicked the dash near the steering wheel with my finger nails :O.
Shaheenis
A few sensible mods and tuned by Matt (Kido).
Link to Member Profile
Link to photos of both wagons and intro page
Shaheenis

Car: Pearl White MY07 GTB Wagon 6MT

Postby teK-- » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:55 pm

I use Autoglym plastic and rubber trim conditioner.

Dash still perfect MY04 model. Over half its life has been spent undercover garage/carport which may make a difference.
MY04 2.5i Safety 5MT Sedan "Project Locomotive"
..: JDM Subaru-AVO-Whiteline-Bilstein-Swift Springs-Cusco-Rallitek-GT Brakes-Remsa-K4RT30Y-Blitz-Philips-Défi-STI-Sabelt-Redline-Alpine-Polk Audio-Kenwood-Dynamat :..
teK--
-stickered-

Postby tom_kauf » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:36 am

Subaru is replacing the disintegrating dashboards for free upon request. Even though what you put on it might have made it a bit stickier, 95% of the stickiness, shininess and cracking is because of the terrible material the car makers used in the 2000s. Toyota and many others have made it a blanket recall, but Subaru has not for some reason.

I had my Airbag replaced last week, and they took some decent sized chunks out of it. It's unavoidable unfortunately. Just touch the dash and it permanently dents or crumbles. Plus I have 10-15cm hairline cracks in several spots, that have developed over the years. It's just age and a poor material to begin with.
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Postby Gtb08 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:50 pm

tom_kauf wrote:Subaru is replacing the disintegrating dashboards for free upon request. Even though what you put on it might have made it a bit stickier, 95% of the stickiness, shininess and cracking is because of the terrible material the car makers used in the 2000s. Toyota and many others have made it a blanket recall, but Subaru has not for some reason.

I had my Airbag replaced last week, and they took some decent sized chunks out of it. It's unavoidable unfortunately. Just touch the dash and it permanently dents or crumbles. Plus I have 10-15cm hairline cracks in several spots, that have developed over the years. It's just age and a poor material to begin with.

Tom are they replacing the dash pad for you? i had some damage too when my airbag was done recently, among console damage? just wondering how you got on?

Shaheenis, i had sticky dash too had interior protection pack on it - used a meguiars interior clean and protect and seems to have rid of it.. for now
2008 OBP Liberty GT SpecB ATM - KOBE MSPORTS SILCONE INTAKE & MAF HOSES - TUSPEED 3-PORT BCS - AVO DUMP 160 CEL CAT - KIDO TUNED - ATM TRANS COOLER - KOBE MSPORTS BoV - KOBE FUEL PUMP - WG PORT N POLISHED VF52 TURBO - MISHIMOTO TB HOSE - GReddy DUAL CATCH CANS - CUSTOM REDBACK MUFFLERS - RED STITCHED LEATHER WRAPPED STEERING WHEEL - DBA T2 SLOTTED ROTORS - XYZ SS COILOVERS - CUSCO STRUT BRACE - quarter 13.42@100MPH
Gtb08

Car: 2008 GT-B Liberty Auto

Postby tom_kauf » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:27 pm

Hi Tony,
I haven't heard back yet, it's only been 2 days - not including the day they took pictures. I reported it the next business day after they did the Airbag (the Mon after the weekend), and they sent the pictures to Subaru head office - or whoever deals with it at Subaru Australia.

The only question they asked was if it was always serviced at Subaru, which it was apart from one or two services before I owned the car. They photocopied the service book. But I know my friend got approved for the replacement, and he's never taken it to the dealer (or maybe once?) in the 5 years or so since he's owned it. So that can't be so critical to the decision.

I'll let you know how I go. Remind me if I forget. They said it'd take 1 week to hear back.

Btw, console damage is pretty poor :?. That's hard plastic. I've had mine out lots of times and never damaged it.
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Return to General Chat