Road noise

Nearly everything is in here to start with.
If it's about your car, or Subaru's in general, put it in "Subaru Chat".

Re: Road noise

Postby jslayz » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:55 pm

I run acoustic foam in hatch area. Helps with grippy tyres o n rough surfaces being bearable
CURRENT - ATP GTX 3576 - 22psi - 283.7awkw
OLD - Dom 1.5Xtr - Last dyno 254ahkw, previous 238ahkw, first 224awkw.
My journey thread: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523
My Lib Pics here: http://forum.liberty.asn.au/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15523&start=570#p370656
jslayz

Car: 2005 Liberty GT Wagon

Postby 04_LibertyGT » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:54 pm

Sound like a good idea i covered the dynamat with acoustic foam in the boot and some of the rear wheel arches. But the front dynamat on the plastic linear for the wheel arches probably made the most noticeable difference so far.
04_LibertyGT

Car: 2004 Subaru Liberty GT

Postby 04_LibertyGT » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:57 pm

Does the post face lift have better insulation? Could anyone confirm whether they find theirs noisy on fwy/hwy trips? I know its subjective but curious to whether this was improved in later models.
04_LibertyGT

Postby tom_kauf » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:18 pm

I ended up going crazy with the Dynamat XTreme and Dynaliner (insulating closed-cell foam). Over $1000 worth all up, covering the doors and every square cm from the rear footwell back. Because the thick 1 inch+ factory foam under the carpet only goes from the firewall to the rear footwell (not further back, at least in the wagon).

All doors inner and outer skins and boot lid, entire floor incl wagon spare-wheel-well, rear side panels up to bottom of side-windows (incl wheel arches), and 2 layers behind the custom 10" subwoofer enclosed in the factory spot.

Was it worth it? I can tell the difference, but it's not a huge change. The Liberty (at least my 2008 GT SpecB) is already such a whisper quiet car, that there's not much more noise to block.

I like the wheel arch idea though! Became that probably does more to block road noise than anything else. I did the inner part of the rear wheel arches (the metal), but nothing on the front ones. So I'll be doing that :).

The more I think about it, the more I suspect the pre-facelift has much less sound insulation. My parents had 2 Honda CR-Vs, and the difference in the facelift was huge (same outer body shape, but much quieter). If I compare my almost 10 year old Lib to a brand new eg Commodore, there isn't much difference.
[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Postby steveP » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:12 am

I went on a similar journey with my Mitsubishi VR4. They are notoriously a noisey car inside the cabin, and with an exhaust and stretched tyres, it was getting a bit much.

I started at the rear of the car and worked my way forward, as I was trying to cut out exhaust noise first. To my surprise, the spare wheel well and a pocket above the exhaust was just bare metal with no factory sound deadening. Perfect way to create unnecessary noise if you ask me.

So lined the wheel well, the pockets in the rear quarter panels, rear wheel arches and boot lid. Like you said, it improved the level of cabin noise, but not significantly.
I then lifted the rear seat and did under there, as the exhaust is right there. Didn't do a whole lot to be honest.

I used noise cancelling rubber from Clark Rubber. It was like $25 a square metre, and I needed about 3m. It's not adhesive, so you need glue it yourself. Definitely worth it for under $100.

I think after all of that, the best way to cut noise is to have the appropriate tyres and some resonators in the exhaust.
steveP

Car: MY08 Liberty B Spec

Postby fedaykin » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:40 am

Could be alignment. Tyre pressures?
fedaykin

Car: MY10 GT Wagon 6MT

Postby 04_LibertyGT » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:05 pm

Thanks for the replies. Really on point and exactly what I did but I started from the front and worked my way back with wheel arches first. Did sound deadener aka dynamat then where I could I covered with acoustic liner foam sound insulation (pics included).

Boot - I removed the spare wheel and covered the parts that didn't already have sound deadener from factory and covered with acoustic liner foam sound insulation, then placed a cutout of the mass noise liner on top of the spare wheel before refitting the carpet cover on top.

Also removed the rear seat to cover with sound deadener and acoustic liner foam sound insulation along with the rear wheel arches from the boot and in the cabin. Covered the rear parcel where the subwoofer is located as well (removed all rattling noises from the rear).

Went on to remove the front carpet but Subaru had already used insulation plates/carpets, so I didn't bother. I was really aiming at covering what wasn't already covered. Last I did the driver's side door with the same material, lots of open holes there.

Might have to look at doing the rear floor as well then.

Really spent a lot of time doing this probably 2 full weekends. Had to clean the surfaces and then roll the material on to adhere and block sound. If I was to do again, I would only do the wheel arches/plastic linear and sections of the spare wheelwell.

Did alignment and tried different tyres pressure without much luck but very valid feedback.
Attachments
Mass noise liner.png
Mass noise liner
Mass noise liner.png (35.62 KiB) Viewed 3237 times
Acoustic Liner.png
Acoustic Liner
Acoustic Liner.png (46.86 KiB) Viewed 3237 times
Last edited by 04_LibertyGT on Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
04_LibertyGT

Postby 04_LibertyGT » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:13 pm

Considering the guy I bought the car from initially had 3 different tyres' brand on the car makes me suspect the tyres more.

He had Bridgestone Potenza, Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S and Michelin PS3. Why so many different tyres at the one time on the car, I can't help but wonder about the reason. :? Could they have been rethread to pass rwc? not sure.

If I compare the station car which is a 1996 ford falcon, it is much quieter than the Liberty atm. :shock:
04_LibertyGT

Postby tom_kauf » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:13 pm

I took your advice 04_LibertyGT and also insulated the Wheel Arch Liner (only 1 side so far because I'm replacing the other cracked one).

But I think you could be right about it making a massive difference :D. Just driving the car along the driveway at slow speed with the wheel arch liners removed, it sounded like I had the windows open (engine and tyre noise). I kept checking the windows and doors, but they were shut.

So I can't wait to drive it on the road with both sides of insulation reinstalled.

[Stealth & Speed - Comfort & Practicality]: My 2008 MY09 GT SpecB Wagon - Manual 200,000km
tom_kauf
-stickered-

Car: 2008 Liberty GT SpecB Manual Wagon

Previous

Return to General Chat