Failing dashboard in a 2006

Nearly everything is in here to start with.
If it's about your car, or Subaru's in general, put it in "Subaru Chat".

Failing dashboard in a 2006

Postby JD79 » Thu May 19, 2016 5:05 pm

Hi all,

I wish it was in better circumstances that I contact the forum, but I'm encountering the dreaded dashboard melt issue with my Liberty. 2006 model, Premium pack, maintained by Subaru for all but the last service. Parked undercover as much as possible (At home, and if possible at work)

Over the past 5 months, the dash has gone from near perfect condition, to cracking at every corner. The rubber has softened to the point where it pulls off with finger pressure. The surface on a hot day becomes so shiny that it blinds from sunlight, and an unusual vapour/residue has started coating the inside of the windscreen, obscuring visibility at low sun angles and night driving (Downright dangerous whilst driving into oncoming headlights).

After a bit of research, I have found that Subaru in America has had this same issue to the letter, and has offered full replacement and labour costs to all models affected between 2004 and I think 2010, as a one off extended warranty offer. Strangely enough Mazda, Toyota and Lexus both overseas and in Australia have developed the same issue, initially denied that it was a problem, but have now admitted that the dashboard does fail in this manner, and have offered full replacement and labour. All following significant consumer pressure and legal action in several cases.

Subaru Australia up till now says that although the failure is identical to American vehicles, and to a range of Australian vehicles of other manufacturers, that the disintegration of the dash on a 10 year old Subaru is in no way related.

I'm seeking feedback from fellow Subaru owners regarding similar failures in their vehicles. Starting with Liberty owners, but I'll contact other forums as well to see if the issue extends to other models. I know from a few other forums that this problem has occurred. I hope that by making Subaru aware of this, they will be more inclined to repair or replace the defective part. A dashboard on an under 10 year old car should not fail this spectacularly, and certainly should not be obscuring vision.

Many thanks,
Joel
JD79

Car: 2006 Liberty

Re: Failing dashboard in a 2006

Postby WIDELOAD » Fri May 20, 2016 7:28 am

Contact has already been made with Subaru Australia regarding this issue. Mutliple times, by multiple members.

When I contacted them, their response was, "We've looked into the matter. We can confirm that US spec dashboards are manufactured in America, where as ours are manufactured entirely in Japan. Therefore we can't confirm whether the cause here is the same as the ones specified in the American letter.

Moving forward, we'd recommend taking the vehicle to an authorised Subaru Service Centre, who will be able to inspect the dash, and provide details to us should they discover anything unusual with the dashboards.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause."

Going further with it, the service centers have advised that this ISN'T a warranty issue, therefore Subaru Aus will not be doing the same recall.

Blame is being placed on owners using the incorrect cleaning products etc.
WIDELOAD

Car: MY08 GT Spec B

Postby JD79 » Fri May 20, 2016 1:12 pm

Interesting. They gave me some of that story, but I'm not buying it. The failure mode is identical to that described overseas. Identical in every detail. Timeframe is pretty much the same. They also told me that they had not encountered this problem from other owners. Not buying that one either. In 12 hours I've encountered several others with the same issue.

Just because the dash was made in Japan or America makes no difference. If they are both made to Subaru spec, then Subaru is liable.

It is now well beyond reasonable doubt that this issue is affecting Australian owners.

I will be continuing to pursue Subaru Australia for restitution in line with the American branch.
I have a FB page up and running for the issue: "Subaru Melting Dashboard Australia". I'd suggest joining.

Also keep in mind that car owners still have rights under consumer law outside the warranty period when a failure is beyond what a reasonable person in reasonable circumstances would expect. A dashboard of a 10 year old car failing entirely in the space of a few months could not be reasonable expected or anticipated.

Keep at them. I will be doing the same.
JD79

Postby dangry » Fri May 20, 2016 4:17 pm

Hello internets

I currently suffer from the same problem and had similar responses from Subaru Aus, but I have booked my car in for an inspection on Tuesday 24/5

I will post my results here.

I have a few friends at the dealership i am taking it to and they will hold my car until they hear back from Subaru Aus and help liase with them for me.

The dealership has said they wish to inspect one car first up and then if Subaru Aus doesn't do anything they said we are more than welcome to organise a mass inspection to show the scope of the damage.

Hopefully we can do something.

Chairs
Dangry
dangry

Car: MY09 GT Spec B

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri May 20, 2016 5:19 pm

Did any members with failing dashes use a trim conditioner eg armourall?
I've only ever used a damp cloth or diluted PERL.
Just wondering if using the wrong product caused or exacerbated the issue...
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby JD79 » Fri May 20, 2016 5:28 pm

Unlikely that commonly used trim cleaners would cause this. Others have speculated that the adhesive used underneath has not behaved well with the rubber coating. I used Aerospace 303 and armpit all (armor all, but I just had to leave that autocorrect in place :). Didn't use either more than perhaps 3 or 4 times since getting the car.

The idea that this issue is the fault of the owners due to using industry accepted detailing products doesn't wash with me, though I have heard that this excuse has been offered to others by Subaru Australia.
JD79

Postby JD79 » Fri May 20, 2016 5:35 pm

I have as of today raised the issue with the ACCC, and will be compiling information to forward to a few publications over the next week if I get time outside of work and study. The Toyota and Mazda issue made it into a few papers as I recall. Hopefully someone will pick it up and run with it. I personally have given Subaru enough opportunities to correct the issue.
JD79

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri May 20, 2016 9:14 pm

Iirc Singapore got the same issue, their cars are also EUDM/ADM.
I'll have to check in and see if they got official recognition of the fault...
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby dangry » Tue May 24, 2016 9:58 pm

I had my inspection today. Free of charge contrary to what Subaru Australia told me.

The dealership confirms a replacement is required and believe the cause of the breakdown is due to heat and humidity and is not a result of using improper cleaning methods as they have seen the exact same thing happen with Toyota dashboards.

HOWEVER

When chatting to them a bit more, they said up until I contacted them, they had not heard of the recall in USA (fair enough, being a different country) and they had NEVER seen this before on any Subaru that had come into their dealership and no one had complained about it. They also contacted their sister dealership who also confirmed this.

I asked what regional office said. Again they said the same thing, they haven't had any reports of it and they hadn't heard of the USA recall either.

Now before you say they are lying to me, let me say that the people I am dealing with are friends of mine and I trust them 110%.

I then asked what did Subaru Australia say. Subaru Australia came back and said they have NOT received any official reports from dealers regarding this issue. But now that they have they are going to conduct an investigation. This is inline with the emails I had also received from Subaru Aus where they outline that the dashes are made in different countries and that if a dealership SHOULD find anything unusual that they are to contact Subaru Aus straight away.

I have requested a copy of the report be emailed to me for my records. The next step according to Subaru Aus is they are going to have a chat about it at a national level and contact me after their discussions have taken place. Unsure on the timeframe, but the dealership said they will follow up with me tomorrow and over the coming week incase anything changes.

No one has any idea what the outcome may be, but hopefully it is a step in the right direction, although I don't have high hopes. I also encourage every member suffering from the issue to contact their local Subaru Authorized Dealership and arrange an inspection. It seems that a number of complaints rather than one mass complaint might help move the issue forward.

Bartons Subaru did NOT charge me for the inspection and do agree a replacement has to happen, they have also said they are willing to help to resolve the issue. At the moment my report is bypassing regional and going to the national head office as both the dealership and regional believe the issues between USA and here are related and requires it to be escalated.

Also worth noting that the dealership cleaned my dash using the approved Subaru method and it has left the dash in a stickier state than before :lol:

Anyway enough typing. I will update you all if anything changes and when I hear from them
dangry

Postby JD79 » Fri May 27, 2016 6:08 pm

Thanks for posting Dangy,

That is certainly progress of a sort. Good they didn't try to charge for the inspection and positive that they said it has to be replaced. The question is when they get around to covering the whole job...

I know for a fact that Subaru Australia is aware of at least one identical occurrence (my own) and has known since February. The issue has been raised on Subaru's own Facebook page by a fair number of other owners. Subaru moderators have initially replied to posts, but now seem silent.

It could certainly be true that your local dealers have not been informed. This is the kind of info that flows up a corporate structure, and slowly at that. Head office wouldn't make any statements to dealers before they had made a decision as to how they want to play this.

I spoke to the manager of their customer relations team earlier this week, and asked for a written statement that the issue was not known to them from other customers, as I had been led to believe by others, but have not heard back since. Not quite sure what it means.

I'll be writing to Nick Senior (Manager of Subaru/Inchscape) shortly, and Fuji Heavy Industries Japan if need be.

The annoying thing is: I like Subaru. I like MY Subaru. Handles like a dream, runs like its on rails, great fun to drive. Subaru make some of the best cars around, and I regularly recommend them to others. It irritates me that I have to lock horns with them on something like this, but there you go.

If you could post some of your outcome on the FB page, I would be very grateful:)
JD79

Postby dangry » Fri May 27, 2016 7:15 pm

I received a response from Subaru Aus via the dealer today.

Their response was the same as usual. Unaware of the problem, it is not a known problem, can't compare US and AU etc. The dealership agreed this was a poor response and it certainly appeared to be an issue and certainly similar to the Subaru US issue.

As I was unhappy with their response, I rang Subaru Aus once this afternoon and spoke to the customer rep who I initially had dealings with last week regarding this issue. They confirmed everything said so far and stated the reason behind why they can't compare US and AU dashes is not just because they are made in different countries but they are also made with different materials, chemicals, glues etc. This was new info, not the different country but the different products. The rep also mentioned that my complaint was being escalated before I rang (could be sucking up or may be related to your dealings with them this week, JD79?).

Long story short, I spent about 15-20mins on the phone and provided some additional info that seemed to have been lost in translation between the parties involved and this seemed to prick their interest. They have said with this additional info they are escalating my complaint further and that I should receive a response by COB Monday 30/6

I'll keep you in the loop as I find out more.

**EDIT**

I am going to refrain from posting to your facebook page till my current dealings have ceased. Because the story is still developing things could change in between phone calls. I'm sure you understand :)
dangry

Postby Tonic » Sat May 28, 2016 8:37 am

Add my name to the list. The instrument cowl has cracked on the tight edge facing the driver.
Irritating so adjusted seating a wheel to block the visual from the drivers seat.
Having dealt with Subaru Australia I didn't bother reporting it..... Wife says I can't buy Subaru again such is her thoughts on their after sale service.....
Tonic

Car: 06 Liberty 3.0RB now 09 facelift

Postby JD79 » Sat May 28, 2016 7:33 pm

No worries Dangy. I understand. I waited until I had spoken to my local dealer a few times and exchanged several emails wit Subaru Australia before I decided to start seeking out others with the same issue. Hopefully you will have more luck than me. At least I know a further instance has been inspected and sent through to the powers that be.

And Tonic, thanks for replying :)
My first advice would be to get in touch with Subaru, and have the vehicle checked by one of their techs. Get photos taken, and make sure they send them through to Subaru. I know a handful at least have done the same. If they respect their Australian customers as much as Subaru America does theirs, we will eventually get somewhere. If/when you speak to Subaru customer relations, try to get through to the manager, so you know you are speaking to someone who has had direct dealings with this matter and the clout to escalate your case. If you feel like posting any pics to the FB page, or a short spiel, go ahead.
JD79

Postby dangry » Mon May 30, 2016 4:55 pm

Just received an email from Subaru Aus

My complaint been escalated further up the food chain and it will be discussed with Senior Management in head office. They are sorry they can't provide any more information at this time and my patience is appreciated.

It almost sounds like progress.
dangry

Postby JD79 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:44 pm

Fingers crossed.
I've emailed Nick Senior, but no reply as yet. The ACCC have requested some more info as well. Not about to twiddle my thumbs and wait for too long, but hopefully the word gets around and Subaru has a change of heart.
JD79

Next

Return to General Chat