Page 1 of 2

I think I'll buy a Camry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:17 pm
by SegR
(In the words of Borat) NOOOTT!!

I've been away from home due to work and while I hired a cheap Corolla I was given a Camry.

Let me preface this rant by saying:

A) I haven't driven too many different cars; and
B) I really know bugger-all about them, but

This piece of crap takes my appreciation of the Liberty to a whole new level.

Acceleration is poor and planting the foot feels like I'm whipping an asthmatic, arthritic mare to go faster. I glance in my rear view mirror, fearing placard-waving animal rights activists in the back seat.

Cornering is shite and taking roundabouts at 40-50km/h feels like riding a slug with ADHD on an acid trip over a twisty curvy brown rainbow. The body rolls like a trawler on the open sea and the steering snaps back on exit providing a joy similar to being snapped on the back of the neck with a rubber band.

Due to the aforementioned stability/suspension problems and probably the choice of tyres, stickiness and road feedback is nearly non existent. I'm pretty sure there's greater traction in my daydreams about lubricated salamis in slippery cavernous meat factories.

The interior is cheap and moving the (auto) shifter grants the driver the sensation of plastic on plastic friction. Like two cheap toy robots grinding together their androgynous crotches in a futile attempt to self-replicate, impotent red ray guns pointed outward with never a chance at domination of their human overlords.

How could a company produce and market such a vehicle especially when it's probably targeted at the kind of people who want a stable, safe, easy drive?

Driving this vehicle for the past few days has been an unpleasant chore!

I just had to get that off my chest - I feel a little better now. I've been with this thing for the past four days.

Can't wait to be home.

Re: I think I'll buy a Camry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:34 pm
by The Sean
Dude!

I'd be placing a reassuring hand on your shoulder and say 'I feel your pain' if I was there.

Imagine my pain, I was due for a pool car replacement a few months back and was overjoyed to get rid of my camry. Was all excited, went down to the garage only to be given a brand new f#$king camry. I decided to go to Canada shortly after that.

I don't want to mention two other faults I find but this rant is helping me too, my left knee rests on the hard jutting out plastic on the centre console and I can't put my effing knee anywhere else comfortable and the pillars are so thick the blindspots are massive (coming down a slight hill into a roundabout, turn left and just pray there's nothing there.

I was actually hoping for a Holden Epica, while they constantly hunt for the right gear on the highway, at least they were comfortable to sit in.

I gave up trying to justify a Forester, I tried to use the whole 'I've got to carry a ladder and tools' so what did our fleet manager do, put f#$king roof racks on the new camry, now it is a dreadful car that looks completely ridiculous!

Stupid government department policy, 27 days and counting.

Re: I think I'll buy a Camry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:20 pm
by Hobber
My friends bought a Sportivo - so I will refrain from commenting.

Except to say that a few years ago, when I used to travel a bit for work, I'd always ask for a Camry instead of a Falcodore... There is worse than a Camry.

Re: I think I'll buy a Camry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:41 pm
by nytrojen
Mate. I had to drive my dad's 2003 Camry into the carport. Those 5 seconds of driving that thing just made me so depressed. It really is THE worst possible car on earth

Re: I think I'll buy a Camry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:34 am
by liberty_dc
I reciprocate all your comments :oops: I used to drive one at work and I was glad that it got replaced. Few other personal rants: reverse parking was a pain due to the high boot, the centre dash resembling like somebody vomited all over it and those touchy brakes.

Re: I think I'll buy a Camry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:39 am
by jp928
Mate of mine inherited a work car from retiring boss a couple of years ago - chipped and suspension tweaked Forrester GT, which really hauls, and he knows how to wring it out. Only downside is the 5 speed box. His bosses couldnt understand why he rejected a new Camry recently, as the Suby passed 150k kms....
jp 08 gtb 6mt wagon

Re: I think I'll buy a Camry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:24 am
by SegR
Thanks for the moral support... I was wondering whether I was just being harsh in my judgement as I am a pedantic shit at times and somehow there seem to be a lot of those boats on the road.

Why have the Government or a charity not set up some kind of support group for people forced to drive these vehicles? How many accidents involving Camry's are actually attempted suicides that have gone unnoticed by the authorities? Does the Government even care?

Sean... that's a horrific story!

Hobber... I think I hired a Sportivo about a year ago. I don't recall it traumatising me like the recent one so it must be an improvement! A good friend of mine used to own a VL... I'm sure it was a much better drive than the Camry.

Re: I think I'll buy a Camry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:27 am
by Robbks
About the only camry worth driving was the ~04 V6 Sportivo Manual.

The Toyota dealership i worked in had three that we optioned up as dealer specials with full leather and bigger bodykit.

Re: I think I'll buy a Camry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:27 am
by Hobber
Umm... the Sportivo is not great... they bought it as a family car - they got it instead of a 2WD Territory. :)

Re: I think I'll buy a Camry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:17 am
by The Sean
The other problem with the car that really concerns me is that I start to feel really sleepy after driving it for more than half an hour.

At first I thought I was making it up or there was some other issue but nope, the car is really the automotive equivalent of Ambiene. It's not good considering we use the camrys for long driving stints.

The only things I like about it is that the boot pops up when you release it and the AUX in on the stereo. That's it.

Re: I think I'll buy a Camry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:50 am
by tangcla
This is the last of the inspiring Toyotas... I owned the last Australian delivered one.
www.tangcla.com/car2.html

Re: I think I'll buy a Camry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:57 am
by Robbks
Nah, Turbo Sportivo Corolla.
Torque steering monster!!

Re: I think I'll buy a Camry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:32 am
by garbo41610
GT Four... NOM NOM NOM NOM!!!

Re: I think I'll buy a Camry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:13 pm
by tangcla
Robbks wrote:Nah, Turbo Sportivo Corolla.
Torque steering monster!!

I had one of those in the past as well. (but not the turbo one, sadly...)

www.tangcla.com/car4.html

Re: I think I'll buy a Camry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:22 pm
by Blade Hunter
Robbks wrote:Nah, Turbo Sportivo Corolla.
Torque steering monster!!


From what I hear (Never driven one myself) they were gutless piles of doodoo, created with the only reason being to get rid of the excess stock of that model rolla.

I did however have the next gen with the 2ZZ-GE motor, I don't have a bad thing to say about that car :).