I think I'll buy a Camry

Nearly everything is in here to start with.
If it's about your car, or Subaru's in general, put it in "Subaru Chat".

I think I'll buy a Camry

Postby SegR » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:17 pm

(In the words of Borat) NOOOTT!!

I've been away from home due to work and while I hired a cheap Corolla I was given a Camry.

Let me preface this rant by saying:

A) I haven't driven too many different cars; and
B) I really know bugger-all about them, but

This piece of crap takes my appreciation of the Liberty to a whole new level.

Acceleration is poor and planting the foot feels like I'm whipping an asthmatic, arthritic mare to go faster. I glance in my rear view mirror, fearing placard-waving animal rights activists in the back seat.

Cornering is shite and taking roundabouts at 40-50km/h feels like riding a slug with ADHD on an acid trip over a twisty curvy brown rainbow. The body rolls like a trawler on the open sea and the steering snaps back on exit providing a joy similar to being snapped on the back of the neck with a rubber band.

Due to the aforementioned stability/suspension problems and probably the choice of tyres, stickiness and road feedback is nearly non existent. I'm pretty sure there's greater traction in my daydreams about lubricated salamis in slippery cavernous meat factories.

The interior is cheap and moving the (auto) shifter grants the driver the sensation of plastic on plastic friction. Like two cheap toy robots grinding together their androgynous crotches in a futile attempt to self-replicate, impotent red ray guns pointed outward with never a chance at domination of their human overlords.

How could a company produce and market such a vehicle especially when it's probably targeted at the kind of people who want a stable, safe, easy drive?

Driving this vehicle for the past few days has been an unpleasant chore!

I just had to get that off my chest - I feel a little better now. I've been with this thing for the past four days.

Can't wait to be home.
Team Beards
Beards Don't Kill People, People With Beards Kill People.
SegR
 
Posts: 1240
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:11 am
Location: Brisbane
Car: MY05 3.0R sedan, black
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14605

Re: I think I'll buy a Camry

Postby The Sean » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:34 pm

Dude!

I'd be placing a reassuring hand on your shoulder and say 'I feel your pain' if I was there.

Imagine my pain, I was due for a pool car replacement a few months back and was overjoyed to get rid of my camry. Was all excited, went down to the garage only to be given a brand new f#$king camry. I decided to go to Canada shortly after that.

I don't want to mention two other faults I find but this rant is helping me too, my left knee rests on the hard jutting out plastic on the centre console and I can't put my effing knee anywhere else comfortable and the pillars are so thick the blindspots are massive (coming down a slight hill into a roundabout, turn left and just pray there's nothing there.

I was actually hoping for a Holden Epica, while they constantly hunt for the right gear on the highway, at least they were comfortable to sit in.

I gave up trying to justify a Forester, I tried to use the whole 'I've got to carry a ladder and tools' so what did our fleet manager do, put f#$king roof racks on the new camry, now it is a dreadful car that looks completely ridiculous!

Stupid government department policy, 27 days and counting.
Now that I'm in North America, I'm greatly concerned about raised pick-up trucks and owners of wedge shaped vehicles. Seriously, not only do you have to be concerned about one hitting you in an accident, they stand a good chance of driving over you at the same time!
The Sean
 
Posts: 611
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:27 am
Location: Vancouver BC, Canadia
Car: Want a '06-'09 F150 (When in Rome!)
Real name: Sean

Re: I think I'll buy a Camry

Postby Hobber » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:20 pm

My friends bought a Sportivo - so I will refrain from commenting.

Except to say that a few years ago, when I used to travel a bit for work, I'd always ask for a Camry instead of a Falcodore... There is worse than a Camry.
User avatar
Hobber
 
Posts: 1272
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:47 pm
Location: Sydney, NSW
Car: MY10 GT Premium
Real name: John

Re: I think I'll buy a Camry

Postby nytrojen » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:41 pm

Mate. I had to drive my dad's 2003 Camry into the carport. Those 5 seconds of driving that thing just made me so depressed. It really is THE worst possible car on earth
nytrojen
-stickered-
 
Posts: 1572
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:14 pm

Re: I think I'll buy a Camry

Postby liberty_dc » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:34 am

I reciprocate all your comments :oops: I used to drive one at work and I was glad that it got replaced. Few other personal rants: reverse parking was a pain due to the high boot, the centre dash resembling like somebody vomited all over it and those touchy brakes.
User avatar
liberty_dc
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:37 pm
Location: Perth
Real name: DC

Re: I think I'll buy a Camry

Postby jp928 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:39 am

Mate of mine inherited a work car from retiring boss a couple of years ago - chipped and suspension tweaked Forrester GT, which really hauls, and he knows how to wring it out. Only downside is the 5 speed box. His bosses couldnt understand why he rejected a new Camry recently, as the Suby passed 150k kms....
jp 08 gtb 6mt wagon
jp928
 
Posts: 981
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:27 am
Location: Melbourne
Car: 08 gtb 6mt wagon

Re: I think I'll buy a Camry

Postby SegR » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:24 am

Thanks for the moral support... I was wondering whether I was just being harsh in my judgement as I am a pedantic shit at times and somehow there seem to be a lot of those boats on the road.

Why have the Government or a charity not set up some kind of support group for people forced to drive these vehicles? How many accidents involving Camry's are actually attempted suicides that have gone unnoticed by the authorities? Does the Government even care?

Sean... that's a horrific story!

Hobber... I think I hired a Sportivo about a year ago. I don't recall it traumatising me like the recent one so it must be an improvement! A good friend of mine used to own a VL... I'm sure it was a much better drive than the Camry.
Team Beards
Beards Don't Kill People, People With Beards Kill People.
SegR
 
Posts: 1240
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:11 am
Location: Brisbane
Car: MY05 3.0R sedan, black
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14605

Re: I think I'll buy a Camry

Postby Robbks » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:27 am

About the only camry worth driving was the ~04 V6 Sportivo Manual.

The Toyota dealership i worked in had three that we optioned up as dealer specials with full leather and bigger bodykit.
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
User avatar
Robbks
 
Posts: 2185
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:21 am
Location: Hobart, Tas
Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Real name: Rob
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Re: I think I'll buy a Camry

Postby Hobber » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:27 am

Umm... the Sportivo is not great... they bought it as a family car - they got it instead of a 2WD Territory. :)
User avatar
Hobber
 
Posts: 1272
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:47 pm
Location: Sydney, NSW
Car: MY10 GT Premium
Real name: John

Re: I think I'll buy a Camry

Postby The Sean » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:17 am

The other problem with the car that really concerns me is that I start to feel really sleepy after driving it for more than half an hour.

At first I thought I was making it up or there was some other issue but nope, the car is really the automotive equivalent of Ambiene. It's not good considering we use the camrys for long driving stints.

The only things I like about it is that the boot pops up when you release it and the AUX in on the stereo. That's it.
Now that I'm in North America, I'm greatly concerned about raised pick-up trucks and owners of wedge shaped vehicles. Seriously, not only do you have to be concerned about one hitting you in an accident, they stand a good chance of driving over you at the same time!
The Sean
 
Posts: 611
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:27 am
Location: Vancouver BC, Canadia
Car: Want a '06-'09 F150 (When in Rome!)
Real name: Sean

Re: I think I'll buy a Camry

Postby tangcla » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:50 am

This is the last of the inspiring Toyotas... I owned the last Australian delivered one.
www.tangcla.com/car2.html
www.tangcla.com - photography

Canon 5D Mark III x2 | 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
100mm f/2.8L IS macro | 200mm f/2.0L IS | 580EX-II x2 | 430EX-II | PocketWizard TT1/TT5
User avatar
tangcla
 
Posts: 7409
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:47 pm
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Car: B6 Audi S4 (4.2L V8)
Real name: Clarence
Profile URL: http://www.tangcla.com

Re: I think I'll buy a Camry

Postby Robbks » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:57 am

Nah, Turbo Sportivo Corolla.
Torque steering monster!!
coyote wrote:Sure, a GTR is fast ... but it's about as interesting as listening to grass grow.
User avatar
Robbks
 
Posts: 2185
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:21 am
Location: Hobart, Tas
Car: MY06 3.0RB Wagon
Real name: Rob
Profile URL: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12350

Re: I think I'll buy a Camry

Postby garbo41610 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:32 am

GT Four... NOM NOM NOM NOM!!!
Car(s): Steel Silver MY10 GT Wagon + 1985 Subaru Sherpa

Mods: (GT) HKS Panel Filter. The HKS I put in the MY10 is the same filter I took out of my MY05 GT. So yes, they do fit. Custom leather heel pad to minimise carpet wear in the drivers footwell. Slotted front rotors. (Sherpa) 14'' 6 Spoke mags, Chrome Gear Shift (sick!), Alloy Pedals (sicker!), new positive and negative battery terminals, Alpine cda-9827 H/U, JBL GT 6x9's boxed and mounted (sickest!), Kicker DS650.2 component speakers mounted in the footwells in flibreglass pods, Alpine MRP-F200 4 channel amp (4x40wRMS), Rebadged with hektik chrome eBay badges, STi stickers for more powaaaa, "leather" handbrake boot, recarpetted with grey/black car carpet from Bunnings, sick Clarke Rubber boot mat, polished and waxed.
User avatar
garbo41610
-stickered-
 
Posts: 1786
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:28 am
Location: Emu Heights and Randwick depending on time of day
Car: MY10 GT Wagon Steel Silver
Real name: Phil

Re: I think I'll buy a Camry

Postby tangcla » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:13 pm

Robbks wrote:Nah, Turbo Sportivo Corolla.
Torque steering monster!!

I had one of those in the past as well. (but not the turbo one, sadly...)

www.tangcla.com/car4.html
www.tangcla.com - photography

Canon 5D Mark III x2 | 16-35mm f/2.8L | 24-70mm f/2.8L IS | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
100mm f/2.8L IS macro | 200mm f/2.0L IS | 580EX-II x2 | 430EX-II | PocketWizard TT1/TT5
User avatar
tangcla
 
Posts: 7409
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:47 pm
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Car: B6 Audi S4 (4.2L V8)
Real name: Clarence
Profile URL: http://www.tangcla.com

Re: I think I'll buy a Camry

Postby Blade Hunter » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:22 pm

Robbks wrote:Nah, Turbo Sportivo Corolla.
Torque steering monster!!


From what I hear (Never driven one myself) they were gutless piles of doodoo, created with the only reason being to get rid of the excess stock of that model rolla.

I did however have the next gen with the 2ZZ-GE motor, I don't have a bad thing to say about that car :).
User avatar
Blade Hunter
 
Posts: 546
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:46 pm
Location: Northmead, NSW
Car: MY10 GT sold, now Mazda MX5 ND 2L GT
Real name: Dan

Next

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests