Reliability, (M) Shift-feel, Comfort/Space - Gen4 or Gen5?

Nearly everything is in here to start with.
If it's about your car, or Subaru's in general, put it in "Subaru Chat".

Reliability, (M) Shift-feel, Comfort/Space - Gen4 or Gen5?

Postby highon2str » Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:42 pm

Hi all!

Wondering what everyone's thoughts are regarding the Gen4.5/5 Liberty GT? I'm currently looking at test driving either the Gen4.5 or Gen5, both manual and 150k-ish.

This will be a family car and hopefully one that our kids can learn how to drive manual in. This is reasonably exciting as it will be the first "enthusiast" car that I will buy. Over the years we have driven all sorts of family and fuel-friendly, auto eco-boxes. I currently have a track motorcycle and remember growing up in the 90s lusting after the Evo 5, 6 and specifically remember dreaming I'd take the STi over the Evo simply because it had the closed-ratio 6-speed box.

I won't be tracking the car and for the day-to-day driving that I'm using it for, I'm not overly concerned about power differences. From what little I've read, I understand that the Gen4.5 is more spirited/performance-oriented, and the Gen5 is more mainstream/comfort-focused (e.g., the electronic park brake).

My criteria (and questions) are ranked as follows:

1. Reliability and cost of maintainence
  2. Shift-feel: I've read that the Gen5 doesn't shift as positively as the Gen4.5?
  3. Comfort/Space: Which one is better for the occasional family day-trip?
  4. Handling: Gen4.5 wins here?
  5. Fuel Economy: Going to assume not much difference?
  6. Considering all the above (and the fact that I'm in this forum), there isn't any compelling reason to consider a WRX instead? :lol:

What would you guys recommend? Either way I can't wait to drive both gens to see what they're like! :)
highon2str

Re: Reliability, (M) Shift-feel, Comfort/Space - Gen4 or Gen

Postby bigBADbenny » Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:13 am

Gen4 has the option of a TY85 STi derived long ratio 6mt in spec B models, Gen5 has a TY75 5+1 cable shifted box, ultimately less strong than the 6mt due to its case design, but fine for daily use at stock power levels.

You get the GenV for slightly more rear seat space… But our Gen4 did great as a Bball taxi, till our 6’7” player bought his own 2.5i p plater lib.

GenV can be modded, but the setup is way more of a cul de sac as regards upgrade pathways, the engine etc, but it can of course be done, as by many.

I’d say it comes down to what you want to see in your driveway every day, after 12 years, it’s still a gen4 for me.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby Stifull » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:50 pm

I agree with Ben.. The Gen 4 is very hard to beat. In my opinion it is still the best looking Liberty available.
Current Subarus
07 Liberty GT (mine) 180kwt on 16lb
98 WRX Club Spes 2 with 2.5ltr upgrade(mine) sub 14 sec
99 Ver 6 Sti also with 2.5ltr upgrade (son) sub 14 sec
02 WRX Bugeye Hatch lots of goodies(wife)
09 Non Turbo Impreza(daughter#4)
Previous
98 GC8 WRX Hatch(daughter#1)
02 Bugeye WRX (daughter#2)
Stifull

Car: '07 Liberty GT '98 WRX CS2 2.5ltr

Postby highon2str » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:59 pm

Thanks for the comments. Seems to concur with the general trend of Gen4 > Gen5!

In terms of reliability, which of the two would be easier on the wallet, assuming different years but same Ks?
highon2str

Postby bigBADbenny » Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:06 am

Subaru reliability is generally a maintenance and awareness thing.

Awareness of fuel trim etc via obdii is easily achieved with torque app, or Btssm.

So as long as you keep an eye on the state of tune and keep your fluids especially oil and coolant at the spec levels and change intervals you’ll be golden.
bigBADbenny

Car: MY07 GT-B 6MT OBP Wagon
Profile URL: http://tinyurl.com/agvbzop

Postby highon2str » Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:57 am

So! I'm now a proud owner of a Manual Gen5 GT Premium Sedan. :)

Funny-sad story, but the morning of the day I went to look at the Gen5, I went into a dealer to drive both the auto and manual '23 WRX. In the auto, I was most unimpressed by the lack of character and horrible lag between the CVT pseudo gear changes. Even in sports mode, the lag was not nice and the acceleration experience was way behind the DSG gearboxes of Audi/VW/Skoda. Annoying message on the dash kept telling me to keep my eyes on the road. Apparently, you can train the system to recognise your head and eyes to more accurately track you, however, there is no way to turn that system off permanently. Sure, it had all the electronic aids and safety tech, and the electronic damping was great, but it just didn't feel like a WRX.

Promptly returned the auto and jumped into the manual WRX. Feels more involving to drive sure, but now all the electronic goodies are gone. No more engine stop-start, no more electronically adjustable damping etc. Though it had impressive low-end pull in a gear that I'd normally have thought to be too high for the road speed.

Left the dealership, drove the Liberty GT and put down a deposit for it. To me, the new WRX feels similar (it shouldn't!) to the Liberty GT. A bit of my soul died along with the WRX that day. I can see why Subaru have done it; catering to the requirements of the target market. Only about 1 out of 10 new WRX owners choose the manual the sales guy told me.

Driving around doing the school, basketball, and work runs, in built-up traffic, on gravel roads, highways and freeways, I must say I reckon I've made the right decision to get a Gen5 Liberty GT over the Gen4 or the '23 WRX. Loving the space (there is no headroom in the backseat of the WRX!) and legroom. Ridiculously cheap to insure and is even P-plater friendly. Car is fully stock which is amazing. So quiet and unassuming yet always ready at a drop of a gear to get moving, or put into S# mode to get really angry. Perhaps my only complaint is that the ride feels harsh-ish on the factory Bilsteins. Tyres are Dunlop Direzza DZ102 running 35 PSI F+R. At 160k+, the shockers seem to have life left in them doing a simple exterior bounce test. More than enough for regular day to day driving. Might try to get comfort-oriented tyres when they're due next, to see if I can soften the ride a bit at low-speeds.

Ok I lied, I do have another complaint... the electronic park brake! Would have much preferred a traditional handbrake for hill starts. The hill-hold function doesn't seem to work all the time depending on the gradient, and it has to be turned on each time the car is started! Is there a way to leave hill-hold on permanently? Or is this something that only a dealer can do?
highon2str

Postby Yowie » Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:20 pm

Good work. I mean it's no SH Forester XT, but nobody is perfect.

Interesting Re: "Annoying message on the dash kept telling me to keep my eyes on the road.".

Firstly, don't create a distraction on the dash if you want the driver to watch the road.

Second, that sort of "can't switch it off" BS would be the end of the test drive for me. The more I hear about that sort of rubbish the more I like older cars.
Yowie

Car: SH Forester XT

Postby aySKE » Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:36 pm

I think both cars would be good, gen4 obv more modability but I think the catch is finding one with respectable mileage..

My Gen5 GT wagon has served me extremly well for 3years. Now tuned with a bit more pep (168kw atw), it's great
Has seen one track day and several holiday trips.
The billies were shot at 96k but I eventually went coilovers (had a 22mm RSB and took away a lot of body roll!)

I'm aiming to throw some semis on the stockies and get track pads in hopefully 2months!
This is my wagon at SMSP!
Next aim sub 2min
https://youtu.be/d3w4S6fSZ38
aySKE

Return to General Chat