Page 1 of 1
Ksport coilovers

Posted:
Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:17 pm
by bolzy
ive done some of research on the ksport coilovers and from what ive got they are a quality coilover but the only information i have come across is on different fourms from overseas and from the ksport website and suppliers sites.
Has anyone has and 1st had experience with the coilovers or know someone who has?
Re: Ksport coilovers

Posted:
Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:23 pm
by jdm rsk
Mmm spend a bit more for a higher quality like Tein or Cusco.
Re: Ksport coilovers

Posted:
Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:33 pm
by teK--
jdm rsk wrote:Mmm spend a bit more for a higher quality like Tein or Cusco.
+1. Ksport = Kmart.
Re: Ksport coilovers

Posted:
Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:48 pm
by drndrn
Not sure how much the K-sports are but if you're looking for budget coilovers, try the BC BR's. Search it on legacygt for reviews. They're pretty good for their price.
Re: Ksport coilovers

Posted:
Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:22 pm
by bolzy
well ive been quoted $1200 for ksports and $2400 for tein's. i could buy 2 sets of ksports at that price lol
surely spending $1200 extra wont make that big of a difference?
Re: Ksport coilovers

Posted:
Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:43 pm
by jdm rsk
bolzy wrote:well ive been quoted $1200 for ksports and $2400 for tein's. i could buy 2 sets of ksports at that price lol
surely spending $1200 extra wont make that big of a difference?
a big difference

Re: Ksport coilovers

Posted:
Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:23 am
by ez30rb
huge difference.. teins and cusco's are in a different league.
Re: Ksport coilovers

Posted:
Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:24 am
by Arith
bolzy wrote:well ive been quoted $1200 for ksports and $2400 for tein's. i could buy 2 sets of ksports at that price lol
surely spending $1200 extra wont make that big of a difference?
Naw! No difference at all if you're planning just to punt around town. Just ignore everyone's advice and go for the KSports! Nuttin wrong wit dem.

Re: Ksport coilovers

Posted:
Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:23 am
by smythie
The topic of budget coilovers vs middle range coilovers such as (the forum favourite) Teins has been discussed before. In short, if you are only going to be driving around town, the K Sports will be fine for you. Don't mind too much the snobbery bolzy. I think Subie Boy had K Sport or similar in his 2.0 while he had it and was quite happy with the value for money equation he got from them.
Again, if you are only driving around town and not planning on driving it hard you're wasting $1200 on the Tein's. No, the Teins won't necessarily last you any longer - if you are serious about keeping any coilover in good condition you shouldn't expecting much more than 30 or 40 thousand km out of them. No, the Tein's aren't necessarily going to feel any better around town either.
However if you plan on driving the car hard you shouldn't be skimping on suspension IMO.
Re: Ksport coilovers

Posted:
Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:31 am
by Subie Boy
Hi mate,
I agree with the above. I had my K-Sports for few years on my car before I sold it and it was fine, ride was comfy and never once had any issues with them. Good value for money in my opinion.
Cheers
Brian
Re: Ksport coilovers

Posted:
Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:35 am
by Arith
Good advice, Tony. A lot of hardcore brand lovers on here.

But sometimes budget/mid-market products will do the job nicely, especially if it's just around town.
Re: Ksport coilovers

Posted:
Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:19 am
by Subie Boy
Arith wrote:Good advice, Tony. A lot of hardcore brand lovers on here.

But sometimes budget/mid-market products will do the job nicely, especially if it's just around town.
Agree with Tony and Jim. I can also speak from experience that my car was a daily driver and drove everywhere to Wollongong, Hunter Valley even to Armidale once too...no issues whatsoever.
I never tracked the car once though (even after I turbocharged her), so I can't speak what they're like from racing/track perspective but I can tell you that they're awesome as a daily driver.
Re: Ksport coilovers

Posted:
Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:46 pm
by Q
Almost anything is an improvement on the stock suspension so I'm sure these can't be too bad. I would say the worst thing you could do after getting them fitted would be to get into another car with a more big brand name (ie expensive) set of coilovers fitted. That will soon tell you where the extra money goes
From my experience with suspension (cars and bikes), nothing beats quality and quality isn't cheap.
Re: Ksport coilovers

Posted:
Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:06 pm
by teK--
Q wrote:Almost anything is an improvement on the stock suspension so I'm sure these can't be too bad. I would say the worst thing you could do after getting them fitted would be to get into another car with a more big brand name (ie expensive) set of coilovers fitted. That will soon tell you where the extra money goes
From my experience with suspension (cars and bikes), nothing beats quality and quality isn't cheap.
Agreed. Stock dampers made by KYB who are a quality, OEM supplier. Even if the stock setup is quite soft, I'd say the build quality and durability is much better than KSport.
Ksport might be firmer damping rates etc (noticeable improvement), but I would not be confident in them lasting a reasonable service life or have a tight manufacturing tolerance especially when it comes down to things like adjustment dials.