Page 1 of 2

Would 18x8 +48 Rub on S-Techs?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:07 am
by hamish_023
Looking at getting some Wheels but don't want the to roll the guards...
18x8
5x100
+48 offset
But would be lowered with bilsteins/Tein Stechs :D

Tyres... probably 225/40? 235/35? No idea what tyre load rating

Did a search but found no definite or confident answer

Edit: Picked up these today
Image

Re: Would 18x8 +48 Rub on S-Techs?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:15 am
by drndrn
Straight out answer, no they won't rub. I had 18x8 +42 on s.techs and they did not rub at all. Maybe if ur carrying a couple hundred kilos of cement in the rear. But you should be fine. As you lower the car, the car naturally dials in some camber. And you'll be fine for the fronts.

You best bet is to run 225/40/18. But you may be able to get away with 235/40/18 too.

Re: Would 18x8 +48 Rub on S-Techs?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:26 am
by hamish_023
Cheers just what i wanted to hear.

Do i need to find out Load ratings to suit what tyres or 225's will be fine?
Did u get any stretched look when using 225's on 8's? Or do they sit flush?

Re: Would 18x8 +48 Rub on S-Techs?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:50 am
by GTB Liberty
hamish_023 wrote:Cheers just what i wanted to hear.

Do i need to find out Load ratings to suit what tyres or 225's will be fine?
Did u get any stretched look when using 225's on 8's? Or do they sit flush?


Image
Image

The photos are of 225/40 on 18x8 +48 Enkei rims. Minimum load rating for our Liberty's is 89W. My Yokohama ADVAN V103s are 92Y which you have to specify as they have a 88Y version. NEVER use tyres under the load rating of 89 or below the W speed rating. The tyre shop said I could have easily fit 235s but I didn't want that much rubber.

When you fit your TEINs will you post a photo so I can confirm they won't rub :D

Re: Would 18x8 +48 Rub on S-Techs?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:54 am
by hamish_023
Perfect!

Cheers mate. 225's is the way to go then. :D :D

Re: Would 18x8 +48 Rub on S-Techs?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:12 pm
by GTB Liberty
hamish_023 wrote:Perfect!

Cheers mate. 225's is the way to go then. :D :D


Just make sure you post a photo pre and post lowering :D

Re: Would 18x8 +48 Rub on S-Techs?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:47 pm
by coyote
Most 235s will NOT fit without rolling the guards.

Re: Would 18x8 +48 Rub on S-Techs?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:09 pm
by GTB Liberty
coyote wrote:Most 235s will NOT fit without rolling the guards.


My comment was about the OEM suspension not a lowered Lib. The main consideration was fouling the strut not the guards.

As such, and knowing the Coyote, he is probably totally correct.

Re: Would 18x8 +48 Rub on S-Techs?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:27 am
by vp920b
Rather than I made new thread, maybe I just ask here.

I always read that we can't use under 89W rating. Why is it? And what it's all about?

I'm running on 215/45/17 wheels.

Thanks

Naldo

Re: Would 18x8 +48 Rub on S-Techs?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:23 am
by Jimmy S
vp920b wrote:Rather than I made new thread, maybe I just ask here.

I always read that we can't use under 89W rating. Why is it? And what it's all about?

I'm running on 215/45/17 wheels.

Thanks

Naldo


Thats the load rating of the tyres, needs to be above the load rating specified by the manufacturer.

235's can fit... easy... :wink:

Re: Would 18x8 +48 Rub on S-Techs?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:43 am
by vp920b
Jimmy S wrote:
vp920b wrote:Rather than I made new thread, maybe I just ask here.

I always read that we can't use under 89W rating. Why is it? And what it's all about?

I'm running on 215/45/17 wheels.

Thanks

Naldo


Thats the load rating of the tyres, needs to be above the load rating specified by the manufacturer.

235's can fit... easy... :wink:


Thank Jimmy.

Just wondering about the load rating. Not going to change to SpecB wheels. hehe..

So we can use as long as above 89W? W stands for the speed rating or it's different?

Sorry to ask a lot, but it seems that plenty of 215/45/17 tyres are below 89W(plenty of 87W).

Re: Would 18x8 +48 Rub on S-Techs?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:08 am
by GTB Liberty
vp920b wrote:
Jimmy S wrote:
vp920b wrote:Rather than I made new thread, maybe I just ask here.

I always read that we can't use under 89W rating. Why is it? And what it's all about?

I'm running on 215/45/17 wheels.

Thanks

Naldo


Thats the load rating of the tyres, needs to be above the load rating specified by the manufacturer.

235's can fit... easy... :wink:


Thank Jimmy.

Just wondering about the load rating. Not going to change to SpecB wheels. hehe..

So we can use as long as above 89W? W stands for the speed rating or it's different?

Sorry to ask a lot, but it seems that plenty of 215/45/17 tyres are below 89W(plenty of 87W).


http://www.tyrepower.com.au/tyre_load.aspx

What is a Tyre Load Rating?
The Load capacity of a tyre determines what payload each tyre can carry. It is vital that you check with your manufacturer what capacity should be put on your car. Again in cases insurance can be void if you select the incorrect tyres. The following table shows what Index specification can carry.

Re: Would 18x8 +48 Rub on S-Techs?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:28 pm
by hamish_023
Here is a sneek peek of what i picked up today.....







Image



Wondering if the 215's from tyrepower sale will be fine on them? Probably to much stretching for the 8's?
Just need some half decent lug nuts and a car... :(

Re: Would 18x8 +48 Rub on S-Techs?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:04 pm
by coyote
hamish_023 wrote:Wondering if the 215's from tyrepower sale will be fine on them? Probably to much stretching for the 8's?


Nope, they are the smallest you'd put on .. but okay.

I'd still suggest 225/45s.

Re: Would 18x8 +48 Rub on S-Techs?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:56 pm
by smythie
yeah, what he said. Gorgeous wheels. I love those Ultra's