Page 1 of 2
Ideas on upgrading Sway Bars on 07 sti Lib

Posted:
Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:31 pm
by suisid1
iam considering upgrading sway bars on my 07 sti liberty and ideas or suggestions
thanx
Steve B
Re: Ideas on upgrading Sway Bars on 07 sti Lib

Posted:
Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:31 pm
by jdm rsk
suisid1 wrote:iam considering upgrading sway bars on my 07 sti liberty and ideas or suggestions
thanx
Steve B
great idea
whiteline is your link

Re: Ideas on upgrading Sway Bars on 07 sti Lib

Posted:
Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:36 pm
by teK--
Yeah can't really go past Whiteline for value or availability in Australia. Unless you want huge swaybars in which case get some Ralliteks imported from USA (get their HD endlinks at the same time), or for bling blue coloured get Cusco from Japan.
You could also go AVO if orange is your thing they are fairly easy to get in Oz.
Re: Ideas on upgrading Sway Bars on 07 sti Lib

Posted:
Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:59 am
by senator
Cusco…… speak to Phat gt for pricing
No need to update end links unless your going really big and will be tracking a lot.
You do play a little more for a better fitting bar and no annoying knocking sounds.
Re: Ideas on upgrading Sway Bars on 07 sti Lib

Posted:
Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:17 pm
by Sheik Jabooti
I was happy with my adjustable 20mm Whitelines on the rear (set to hard). Drives like a completely different car now. My first fast corner took me by surprise as the turn in was ridiculous in comparison with the OEM setup.
Was considering getting fronts as well but some of the forum guys suggested I would end up going back to classic Subaru under steer.
I still might do it as with stock GT (no B's) suspension the nose still rolls just a little...but then that's what is creating the turn in I guess.
Re: Ideas on upgrading Sway Bars on 07 sti Lib

Posted:
Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:28 pm
by GTB Liberty
Sheik Jabooti wrote:I was happy with my adjustable 20mm Whitelines on the rear (set to hard). Drives like a completely different car now. My first fast corner took me by surprise as the turn in was ridiculous in comparison with the OEM setup.
Was considering getting fronts as well but some of the forum guys suggested I would end up going back to classic Subaru under steer.
I still might do it as with stock GT (no B's) suspension the nose still rolls just a little...but then that's what is creating the turn in I guess.
Whitelines with the rears on hard and front on soft are completely acceptable turn in, roll, cornering speed, comfort, safety etc unless your on a race track which the road isn't.
Re: Ideas on upgrading Sway Bars on 07 sti Lib

Posted:
Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:58 pm
by swingn
senator wrote:Cusco…… speak to Phat gt for pricing
No need to update end links unless your going really big and will be tracking a lot.
You do play a little more for a better fitting bar and no annoying knocking sounds.
+1
Cusco all the way IMHO

Re: Ideas on upgrading Sway Bars on 07 sti Lib

Posted:
Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:57 pm
by smythie
Sheik Jabooti wrote:Was considering getting fronts as well but some of the forum guys suggested I would end up going back to classic Subaru under steer.
I don't get this. I drove mine HARD yesterday chasing and leading EVOs (5, 8 and 10) at different times and the only understeer I had to deal with was when I was being a fruit cake on corner exit stamping the throttle too hard too early. Aside from around 1 degree negative camber on the front, slightly better rubber on the front and replaced lower control arm bushes (Subaru issue), the suspension is the original SpecB gear with 129k on it. A hard rear sway bar would have made lift off oversteer a very real and dangerous issue - it was bad enough as it was in one corner when I lifted off too quickly after hitting the throttle too hard too early
Re: Ideas on upgrading Sway Bars on 07 sti Lib

Posted:
Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:11 pm
by teK--
smythie wrote:I don't get this. I drove mine HARD yesterday chasing and leading EVOs (5, 8 and 10) at different times and the only understeer I had to deal with was when I was being a fruit cake on corner exit stamping the throttle too hard too early.
I think you've wrapped it up nicely Tony. The only time you had noticeable understeer was when you were pushing
too hard.
Re: Ideas on upgrading Sway Bars on 07 sti Lib

Posted:
Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:18 pm
by smythie
and thus there is no reason for stiffer rear sway bars for the road - better to revise your driving style.
Re: Ideas on upgrading Sway Bars on 07 sti Lib

Posted:
Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:10 pm
by Sheik Jabooti
smythie wrote:and thus there is no reason for stiffer rear sway bars for the road - better to revise your driving style.
All fine for you SpecB folks. I'm on stock GT Lib kit so the sway bars make a massive difference. My previous car was a specB and the firmer Bilstein kit kept me mostly upright through the corners. On the standard GT suspension the swaybars force both sides to work together giving me a much better feel. Without the sway bars I'd need to drive like a nanna through corners without rolling into the passengers seat.

Re: Ideas on upgrading Sway Bars on 07 sti Lib

Posted:
Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:42 pm
by teK--
smythie wrote:and thus there is no reason for stiffer rear sway bars for the road - better to revise your driving style.
The reason is improved turn-in even when not driving at 10/10.it comes down to personal preference. I have never found lift off oversteer to be a problem on the road simply because I just don't do that.
Re: Ideas on upgrading Sway Bars on 07 sti Lib

Posted:
Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:11 am
by vp920b
Hi all,
Rather than I make a new thread, I just post them here.
If I get the whiteline rear swaybar, what should I get other than the swaybar and the bushes from the kit? Do I need to change the mount?
Thanks
Re: Ideas on upgrading Sway Bars on 07 sti Lib

Posted:
Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:18 am
by teK--
vp920b wrote:Hi all,
If I get the whiteline rear swaybar, what should I get other than the swaybar and the bushes from the kit? Do I need to change the mount?
Thanks
I recommend installing the mount reinforcement. Optionally get new swaybar links if yours are a bit knackered, but otherwise the size of the stock ones are adequate for the 20mm Whiteline bar.
Re: Ideas on upgrading Sway Bars on 07 sti Lib

Posted:
Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:53 pm
by Kekotic
Naldo how are you managing to convince your parents to pay for all of this?