Page 1 of 1

Brembo rotors - chunk missing or not?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:57 am
by SUB4RU
I changed my brake pads the other day and noticed on my last rotor that there was a a groove in the top of the rotor that ran for about 10cm around the rotor. It was the last pad i changed so I didn't check the others to see if it is meant to have that or not?

As far as I'm aware, it should be perfectly round the whole way around the outside of the rotors' edge, otherwise it would cause a shudder which i slightly have... The cut looks very precise which is why i am questioning it.

Can anyone confirm my rotor is fine or chipped without me checking the others after work 2nite, lol?

PS. It's the rear passenger rotor.

Re: Brembo rotors - chunk missing or not?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:03 pm
by teK--
Got pics?

Re: Brembo rotors - chunk missing or not?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:36 pm
by senator
That’s different, I know many of the oem Brembo's fitted to 08 tb sti's do suffer from a lip which forms on the outside edge on the front rotors this lip forms after about 10-15k,

But your grove sounds like some has tired machining the rotors on a lathe and really stuffed things up……..

How thick is the grove?

Should be ok to drive, but I would measure your rotors to make sure they are still within there limits.

btw how are the type m's treating you :)

Re: Brembo rotors - chunk missing or not?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:41 pm
by GTSPECB STI
my oem brembo rotors had no such cut in any of them, my dixel rotors do not have any cuts in them either. Maybe a rotor was dropped by accident and took a chunk out of the lip?

Re: Brembo rotors - chunk missing or not?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:50 pm
by SUB4RU
Hmmm....Sounds like I need to upgrade rotors :D

Only a slight shudder when braking lightly but nothing too bad as the groove is in the centre of the edges of the rotor (if that makes sense...)

I will try and get a pic of it this arvo and post it tonight if i get a chance. The groove cuts into the back of each edge evenly and is about 2 or 3mm??? deep in towards the centre of the rotor and slopes back up to meet the edge and about 100mm in length. The face of the rotor is fine, it is the inside edge that is the issue.

After writing this I realise I will just post a pic and let it explain itself, lol


Type M's were worth every cent!

Re: Brembo rotors - chunk missing or not?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:23 pm
by GTSPECB STI
yeah post pic..ditto on type m's for me..such a good pad.

Re: Brembo rotors - chunk missing or not?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:09 am
by Spec B Wgn
sounds like somehting has got stuck between the rotor and the pad, possibly a small stone.

if the groove isnt too deep you may be able to machine it out otherwise replace the rotor

Re: Brembo rotors - chunk missing or not?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:15 pm
by PHAT GT
if im reading you right ???

if you have factory fitted rotors its the balance cut outs for the rotor. nothing to worry about

you wont find these on most after market rotors due to a higher quality casting

Michael

Re: Brembo rotors - chunk missing or not?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:41 pm
by SUB4RU
Thanks Michael,

The cut looks very precise and yes they are stock rotors so I am sure you are right. If it wasn't meant to be there, I am sure braking would be shuddering like crazy but it seems to be fine.